Hastings Mn review

My first review, so give me a break. I’ll try to be objective without being cruel. My perspective will be from a 40 something brass player and Vis tech.

Clear skies but cool 65 degrees. First corps was Cap sound. Lot smaller than recent years, but considering what they’ve been through this winter, quite a pleasant surprise. I’ll have to give the staff the benefit of the doubt in that the show was written for a larger and more experienced membership. This is serious show that needed a book to understand the deep meaning…. never a good sign with 15 or so brass players. To the member’s credit, they pulled it off pretty well. Talent level covered the complete spectrum of novice to serious vets. The brass sound was full at times, but struggled with the complexity of the music. Good chance this will improve seriously as the season progresses, but a simpler show might have yielded better results. Percussion seemed small but competent, I didn’t care for how they used the guard, but the performers did what was asked of them reasonably well. We are all pulling for this corps to use his year as a stepping-stone, and my guess is they will be successful in bringing Cap back to Midwest prominence within a year or two.

Next up the Govenaires. I love this corps. No pretense, good music, good performance and a show that matches the size and talent level. They have this “bit” they use as the corps starts playing, the drum major introduces the corps. He connects with the crowd early and often. They may be the only corps that has ever pulled this off so tastefully so often…very cool. Music includes In the Stone, Summertime and Georgia. 12 or 13 brass players sound like 20, and play with a nice blend throughout, Perc is solid, but the guard steals the show. They are good AND entertaining. Equipment use is tasteful. Govies usually march with pretty good style as senior corps go, and this year is no exception. This corps is everything a small senior corps should be, and will do well if they go to DCA this year.

Next up Lake Erie Regiment from Pennsylvania. About 17 brass a full drum line and about 9 in the guard. I like the unis and they have a decent field presence, but this is another case where the show may be written over the heads of the membership, and certainly over the head of most of the crowd. Sorry, but I can’t recall the music titles, but the impression I get is that of a mini Phantom Regiment of the late 80s. The horn line put out a pretty good sound and at times nice blend, but fatigue and lack of dynamics make for a long show. The season is early and the talent level may yet pull this show off, the perc was solid, but seemed to be disappearing in terms of adding excitement to the show. I didn’t care for much of the guard work, a little too artsy for my taste, but the performers themselves are EXELLENT. They have some talent! The drill was Ok, and may add to the overall show once cleaned up. Maybe they will be the next Phantom of Div 11.

After break, the most anticipated corps of the night, the Blue Stars. It was really heart warming to see this corps take the field with such a large corps, and they didn’t disappoint.

Credit to the staff and management for creating an entertaining show that fit the talent level, and should please the judges and crowd alike. All the extra uniforms and equipment must have strained the budget, and it showed in that there were no props or extra goodies on the field. 50 brass players put out a nice balanced sound. To their credit they didn’t try to blow the house down, but the show leaves the doors open for that to happen by seasons end. The Music is from Japanese cartoons, and even though I never heard the music before, it seemed familiar and was easy to listen to. The drum line was very solid, and from my non-drummers point of view better than a typical div 2 drum line. The guard was superb, they consistently added to the overall show with good performance level and quality writing. The drill was a little vanilla, but if I were writing for a corps that more than doubled in size, I’d play it safe too. Blue Stars have a reputation for performing miracles in the cleaning department, and if they come close to past cleanup, they will be tough to beat in Denver. This is the type of show that will really sell when immaculately clean….Welcome back Blue Stars!

Next Up Chops Inc. They look impressive as they take the field, but were a major disappointment once the show starts. If this was a jr corps, I would stop right there but being a Sr corps I’ll elaborate. Fun and entertainment is fine and good, but doesn’t sell without execution, and frankly there is very little. There was no connection musically or visually from Brass to Perc to Visual. The brass quality was non-existent. The use of Appalachian Spring was in poor taste as an ongoing theme. They really need to take a hard look at the winter program and getting some basics down. Even this show would be tolerable with decent performance levels. They have some talent, but they need to focus on some basics ASAP.

Last corps up, Mn Brass. I am biased, so take this with a grain of salt. This is the best MBI Corps EVER! The drum line has been carrying the corps the last few years, but this year the guard and horn line have caught up, and may carry this corps to the very top of DCA.

The Show “Moon Dance” is a “in your face” crowd pleaser. The show is sophisticated in every aspect, but very active and LOUD. The brass line is light years ahead of previous years, great blend and full sound and unbelievably strong for this early in the year. The guard is smooth as silk and contributes throughout. The Drum line is outstanding. They take the field like they own it and command attention throughout. The only weak spot was “Fly Me To The Moon” seemed tired and out of phase at times.

I didn’t care for the large “moon” at the end, it took too long to develop and the guard performers looked awkward trying to set it. Maybe they plan to utilize it more with more drill or guard work, but if not, I’d drop it for a smaller and easier to open prop. I haven’t decided if I like the free form in your face final 30 seconds of the show, part of me wants to see some high paced drill, but alas DCA doesn’t give you credit for tough drill so it’s a tough call. Once the bugs are cleaned do I dare say what I really think? ….OK .. They may be the best Sr Corps in the country this year…..really!

I agree with you Contratech...this was the best MBI show I've ever seen! I'm sure they've improved a bit even since the Menomonie show.

Thanks for the great review contratech. We were proud to entertain such an excellant crowd at Hastings.