Blue Stars - 68.00

DIVISION I:

Pioneer - 58.90

Troopers - 63.65

Colts - 70.80

Cavaliers - 85.15

Edited by jaredmusicman03

Okay, here’s a quick review...

The first corps to take the field was the Bandettes. The were quite small, but had a decent sound despite their size. They looked to be a fairly young group too, and they had a few problems with some of the music, but they still did a good job considering.

The next corps was the Blue Stars. They were huge, with the sound to match! Their horn line is powerful! Their pit and battery were awesome as well. The guard had some nice things too. Overall, AWESOME job, I think they’re on their way!

Next were the Colt Cadets. I must say, I was very disappointed to see amps on the field... However, amps aside, they did sound fairly decent considering their age range. They had some really nice moments with their brass, as well as their percussion, but at other times they were kind of struggling to find in each and the beat. Overall though, good job.

Okay, onto Division I. The first corps to take the field was Pioneer. I must say, they had a great drumline. They did some really cool moves and had some good licks. Their brass was great too, they can really blow! I liked their show idea as well - “Return to Ireland.” It was a very enjoyable show!

The Troopers were up next. Their show was great. They had some wonderful musical arrangements and great music selections. Their horn line was also very powerful, they did an excellent job with regards to musicality. The end of their show was also very poignant - I had goose-bumps!

Next were the Colts. They are looking awesome!!! Their show has some neat ideas as well as musical selections. Their guard is very tight, the horns are huge, and their drums are jammin’! They really look awesome - the best Colts I’ve seen in recent years! Colt fans be proud!!!!!!!

Finally, The Cavaliers. What can I say?!?!?!?! WOW! Aside from their use of amps, they were unbelievable! Everything about them is just tight! Horns, Guard, Battery, Pit - EVERYTHING is just tight! Their sound is huge and almost impeccable. I just don’t know what else to say! Go see their show - you’ll know what I mean!

Anyway, that’s all for now!

If you have questions, post them, I'll reply ASAP - I'm leaving out a lot!!!!

Was the 85 deserved, in your opinion?

I honestly must say yes! They were just amazing (despite the amps... <**> ). Their visuals, sound, everything was just solid. Apparently they had a new ending?!?!! Couldn't tell!!!!!!!! Everything was so tight - the entire show just flowed seamlessly. So, yes, I must say it was deserved.

heh. well, not completely tight. fall on the right 40 yard line right in front. But yes, VERY good show. And well deserving of the 85

Did you guys think Pioneer is still deserving below 60? I know their brassline still has some growing up to do, but you would have thought they would have made a little progress. I haven't heard them in a week though so I'm not sure how things are going. I was just curious to see what you thought. Thanks!

B) B) I was really hoping for a closer score between Pioneer and Troopers......but, yes, the Pioneer horn line has work to do yet. I watched most of their afternoon rehearsal in Charles City and it was HOT!!!!!! One of the instructors said "Welcome to the first REAL day of Drum Corps". I think that the heat may have taken a little toll on them. They've also added more colorguard personnel since last weekend, and they probably aren't yet comfortable with the routines.

But I really think that thing holding this corps back is the fact that the ensemble isn't 'tight'. At least that's what I hear from the stands. There are too many little spots where the horns and battery are just 'a little bit not together'.....and even between horn sections this happens. Balance between sections is also a concern at times. I know the horn line is young (my son is a rookie baritone player) and the corps is making big strides this year.......but I hope that they take some time to rehearse the music SLOWLY in order to coordinate all of the elements better.

A band director who thinks that the music HAS to come first!!!

Did you guys think Pioneer is still deserving below 60?  I know their brassline still has some growing up to do, but you would have thought they would have made a little progress.  I haven't heard them in a week though so I'm not sure how things are going.  I was just curious to see what you thought.  Thanks!

Having seen the Pioneers several times this season I can honestly say yes, their score of 58 plus at Charles City is indicative of their overall product. And yes, the Troopers were (almost) five points better. Granted, the Pioneers are bigger and better this season however I for one am tired of all that over used Irish music. Let's just say time will tell.

I wasn't meaning to imply that the Troopers didn't merit their score....I was only hoping that Pioneer would have been able to close the gap a little bit. This was the first time I've seen the Troopers this year, and I was impressed.

When they started playing 'Magnificent Seven, my 18 year old daughter asked me where she had heard that before...I thought, well you're not old enough to remember Marlboro TV commercials (I am)....and you probably have never seen the movie...so she figures that it must have been in some other movie she's seen.