• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...dear Lord I wish they could figure out away to bring down their tops to reveal their colors withough seeing the tag of their costume, or the mess at their waist....too bad they couldn't velcro or zip off that top...

Too bad indeed...

Drummers have been trying to get guard tops off for years b**bs

Bernard Hermann - 1911-1975, contemporary cinematic composer.

He also wrote quite a bit of absolute music as well, hence that is the group I lob him in with.

Edited by usmpiano

1997 was no different from most any other year for Spirit. They finished in 17th and struggled competitively all year.

Steve:

As a person who didn't spend too much time with the corps...(only 97 and 98) the impression i got was the 1997 was incredibly important for the organization. The goal was to get the corps back into semi-finals.

Yes...we did struggle all year....i believe we were sitting in 21st place coming out of whitewater....the accomplishment of that drum corps should not be forgotten. After the success of 97 (successful because of how we finished) spirit has always had pretty much a full corps (i believe 97 we had about 100 members).

I firmly believe 1997 was a turning point that set the corps up for the success it is currently enjoying.....had spirit not made semifinals that year...i'm not sure if they would be around in its current state today.

In 1998 we raised the bar slightly but still harkened back to spirit days of yore. Some visual captions placed 12th at semis and musically we were in 14th or so. I will always miss my time in Jacksonville and am proud to be part of the staff that helped turn things around and get spirit back on the climb to finals.

Obviously we cannot take credit for their recent success...but many of us who taught in the late 90s still feel part of spirit and probably always will.

Evan

There is a Corps today that has a theme revolving around summertime, and a train going thru a community, a bygone era, if you will. That is tailor made for Spirit.

That sounds similar to Spirit's show from 2001 - Ghost Train, which didn't quite make finals. Somehow I can't picture today's members playing music by Charlie Daniels or the Pointer Sisters. I guess that music would be considered by some to be southern and more in Spirit's tradition, but would it actually fly with the judges in 2004? I think not. It was great, and a novelty, during the era that Spirit had success with it, but it would not be competitive today. Even in recent years they have played Nutville, No Jive, Let It Be Me and traditional southern gospel tunes, but the Darkness Into Light (Easter Symphony) show is what got them back into finals. Besides, what fan wants to hear certain Corps play the same songs year after year (or every other year) and what member wants to play the same music repeatedly? The only way I can imagine the older music being competitive is if EVERY Corps were to field a show featuring music from shows that they were remembered for from 20 years ago.

So then i have a question....are the judges sheets now dictating the activity to the point that everyone has to be the same?

Why can't a corps that plays a contemporary version of an old classic do well? If the drill works and the book is comparable to other top 12 corps...it shouldn't be an issue.

So then i have a question....are the judges sheets now dictating the activity to the point that everyone has to be the same?

Why can't a corps that plays a contemporary version of an old classic do well? If the drill works and the book is comparable to other top 12 corps...it shouldn't be an issue.

The follow-the-leader mentality strikes again. :)

There is a Corps today that has a theme revolving around summertime, and a train going thru a community, a bygone era, if you will. That is tailor made for Spirit.

That sounds similar to Spirit's show from 2001 - Ghost Train, which didn't quite make finals. Somehow I can't picture today's members playing music by Charlie Daniels or the Pointer Sisters. I guess that music would be considered by some to be southern and more in Spirit's tradition, but would it actually fly with the judges in 2004? I think not. It was great, and a novelty, during the era that Spirit had success with it, but it would not be competitive today. Even in recent years they have played Nutville, No Jive, Let It Be Me and traditional southern gospel tunes, but the Darkness Into Light (Easter Symphony) show is what got them back into finals. Besides, what fan wants to hear certain Corps play the same songs year after year (or every other year) and what member wants to play the same music repeatedly? The only way I can imagine the older music being competitive is if EVERY Corps were to field a show featuring music from shows that they were remembered for from 20 years ago.

As a person from the south, I can assure you that there are more songs that are southern in nature than the ones Spirit has played. It just takes somebody who wants to go out there and learn about them and arrange the music.

This is what I'm getting thus far: southern jazz is not accepted by the judges and who wants to play the same songs all the time. But on the other hand, ONE MORE HOLSINGER SHOW IS GREAT!

The question then becomes, if you're going to throw away your identity and the characteristics that made you unique in the first place and be like everybody else, why should I stop and listen to you?

Edited by EKBari

nope, not a "Straight classical show" as you stated....far from it.

~G~

I can think of MANY more hornlines that were "worse" than 2000 BD. Maybe they didn't have the same power as the year before, which I blame solely on the horns. But they played well. And as for the thin sound? Chalk that up to 8 contras - 2 went down midseason IIRC; these Bb horns make the low brass kind of puny unless you've got the base 10 contras then it's ok, 12 would be even better, but 8 ain't enough. Their upper brass sound had FAR more control and better intonation than the Cadets did, and the baritones and mellos aren't to be outdone on some really nice exposed lines that are played quite in tune.

I do NOT like to badmouth corps, especially with catch-alls like "worst hornline in DCI" which show extreme arrogance/ignorance. But, please take a listen to the 1998 Cadets if you want to hear a show with some intonation issues. I literally cringed on Finals night when I heard the big intro hit, the sopranos were so off; great show and I love it, but how they were able to win it all with a brass performance like that I'll never know. Compare that sound to the much better example of a classical show from BD than 2000, their 1998 "One Hand..." show. What a wonderful sound that hornline that was....