Rockford, IL review

Just a few random thoughts about the Rockford show:

The Blue Devils were clearly in a class by themselves.  I've never been a big Devil's fan -- largely because I don't care for jazz -- but even I had to admit that the musicality of this group is superb.  The sound produced by the brass is powerful, beatutifully balanced, in-tune, exciting AND controlled.  The visual program is also interesting.  Throughout the show they keep the train theme of their "Blues Train" show going to create a nice, integrated visual package.  It's  one of the best uses of a theme I've seen in a while, and I'm not a fan of theme shows.  I'm not so sure about the ending, which has the corps proper exiting into the right endzone, leaving only the guard on the field.  It's a quiet ending that follows a very exciting "jam session" and almost seems like a letdown.  Otherwise, I really liked this entertaining show.

I've liked the Scouts all summer and was excited to see them once again.  A few changes seem to have been made to the program, mostly in the drill and color guard book, and they made for a slightly dirty performance.  The guys just didn't seem to be on; a view shared by several very knowledgeable people seated nearby, including some Crown and Phantom alumns.  Despite the dirt, the show is a crowd favorite and has the best closer of the summer.  I love the way "Malaga" builds in intensity, both visually and musically, to the final climax.  The excitement is palpable and it drew the only true spontaneous standing ovation of the night.

This was the first time I'd actually seen Phantom, though I heard them in standstill in Michigan City last week.  Based on that performance I thought the music to be beautifully played but rather un-inspiring and hoped that the visual program would add the missing excitement.  I'm sorry to say I didn't find that to be the case last night.  Phantom has always been one of my favorite corps but this show, which is a real departure for the Regiment,  just doesn't do it for me.  Again, the musical book is challenging (there are some intricate polyphonic passages that are played very quickly with great articulation) and well-played but lacks any real excitement -- the sole exception coming towards the end when a company front appears out of nowhere and the brass give forth a series of powerful, richly voiced chords.  The visual program is pleasant but also seems to lack any real excitement, though the guard is excellent, as usual.  There are some isolated moments that are impressive but this show doesn't have the same kind of quality that just draws you into the performance that we saw with last year's effort, or that I thought was so brilliantly exhibited in the Shostakovitch program from 2002.

I thought the final placings were accurate, though I might have given Madison a slightly greater point spread over PR.  My companion for the evening was a friend attending his second live show (after being initiated in Michigan City) who thought  Madison should have won, based entirely on the entertainment factor.  He loved the excitement and power of the Scouts' show but, being a musician himself, recognized the superior musicality of the Blue Devils.  He also thought Colts would be closer to the top three.  It's always interesting to hear the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the activity.

I'll close with a bit of humor.  The Colts have a shirt for sale with a picture of a cross between drum sticks and a flute, with the caption reading: "The only good woodwinds are lathed into drum sticks"  or something to that effect.

I saw that shirt the other night, but didnt have the $$... im gettin that for sure in time for band season...

Just wanted to catch up with a couple of quick comments to add while they're still fresh on my mind.

Colt Cadets: I applaud these youngsters. Not easy at that age (or any age for that matter) to put a show together. However, this was my 1st show where the mic's/amps were used for voice/singing and to be honest I hope this is the only year this is allowed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the kids (I would have had the same complaint if it had been PR, Blue Devils, etc.) but I am complaining about the show concept/design.

Show Organizers:

Intermission: 45 mintues? TOO LONG!

Vendor Placement: Don't put the kettle corn vendor under the stands. The fans in section B were gagging from the smell of burnt popcorn most of the night. ampssuck

It figures that the Phantom alums liked the pictues the best. I think my best efforts were the Phantom pics. :)