Dallas Review

One of the highlights of the year for me is always the hometown show in Dallas. The weather cooperated last night, and while warm, was at least dry, with a decent breeze. This stadium is perfect for a drum corps show, with a steep pitch and lots of rows on the homeside. You are also right on top of the corps/field, with no track and little space. The field is the newer astro/filed turf, and looks great. The only disappointments were these: This is the smallest/weakest lineup for the Dallas show that I can ever remember. The crowd is always huge here, and DCI should take more care to always invest in the line-up. Also, with only 6 corps, was a 35 minute intermission really necessary? I think not. Finally, they desperately need to put numbers on the seats, as they have all worn off. Chaos ensued on numerous occassions as people competed for what they thought were their seats while fighting off the blobs of band students (lots of big groups at this show).

Now, on to the performances:

Troopers -- the corps has really taken a step up design wise this year, with great musical arrangements ( Go Chuck!!! ). Performance wise, they are young, and working to grow into this program. I've heard lots of emphasis on the "plan" in Casper. If they can execute, and keep those kids coming back, Troop will again be a force to be reckoned with. This year, the show is an emotional highlight, if not a performance one, and will be special in Denver.

Southwind -- Kudos for coming up with a very accessible, entertainging show. There is still a ton of dirt in this show, both visually and musically, so it will be interesting to see how much they can clean. The vehicle is there to make a run at Semis, but the execution is not yet. The corps really sounds out of whack towards the end of the closer. Both out of gas and out of sync. But very enjoyable over all!

Capitol Regiment -- Those who have made a sport out of speculating that Cap-Reg is a dark horse for finals this year are premature, in my opinion. This is not a finalist caliber show, and the guard is certainly not finalist-caliber. I'm quite surprised by how much of a step the corps has taken backwards in color guard after having a fairly large, and impressive guard last summer. The horn book also has little to no continuity to it. The pieces just seem to not fit together at all, and in many places is not very pleasant or accesible to listen to. However, the next moment, they are in a mode of something very pleasing & effective. The kids are obviously talented and deserved a better book/program. There are definitely pluses, too though with the corps. The horn line marches very well for early July, and puts out a strong ensemble sound. There are some highlights in the show, too. But no corps made me wonder when their show would end tonight except for this one. It seemed like they were on for 30 minutes - a product of a show that does not flow well together.

Magic of Orlando -- It is obvious this corps is very, very young. The show is written above their heads, like they had the talent & experience of the performers they had in their 2 outstanding previous years. The guard is the strong point for the corps, and they do command almost all attention during this show, due to lack of execution by all others. The corps obviously really, really, really misses Gino. The brass sound put out is harsh, weak and inconsistent most of the time. This is not the Magic of the last 2 years that absolutely floored me. However, I am so thankful they were able to get their bingo up & come out this year. I hope they are buidling a much more sustainable model for long term success and providing an enjoyable experience for their kids, and thus motivating them to come back. The show design itself is quite good, and entertaining. They can go as far as they can clean - which is a huge question. They look like this should be their first early June show of the year, but we are bearing down on mid-July.

Bluecoats -- BLOOOOOO! With 50 some kids from Texas, they are definitely becoming a favorite down here, and they've got a great product to involve the crowd this year. Musically, the first half of the show is not as strong as the 2nd. The show really connects musically starting with the wonderful ballad. The guard is probably going to end up being their best ever. The first 1/2 of the show, the guard is really cooking. The only really downer for the guard came in the ballad. When the corps hits the big points of the ballad where the guard is spreading the field and doing ensemble work, they have obvious cleaning work to do to get their execution their up to the rest of the show. When they do, the ballad, which the brass plays beautifully, will have a ton of impact. The best Bluecoats show design, in my opinion, since the tango show in 2001. This corps looks like a solid bet to fight it out with Crown & maybe Boston for 8th/7th. Plenty of dirt to still work on cleaning in the drill, too, so lots of room to grow.

Cavaliers -- I enjoy this Cavalier show - and particularly appreciate the fact that the Cavies actually give us some volume this year, for the first time since 2000. The show is fun, and it oozes 007 from every angle. The music, while fun, seems shallow and overly repetitive, though. The Havana section is a lot of fun. The much bally-hoed closer was quite a disappointment though, in that the last 20 seconds still go flat & leave the crowd unsure if they are done. I'm sure they aren't "done" finishing the show though. I just cant see this show in top 3. The drill is very demanding & fast, but not nearly as GE laden as Cavaliers are when they are at their best. I think Regiment will beat Cavaliers in all the Music captions by year end, and might just challenge them for 4th when all is said and done. This is definitely not a championship caliber show. I bet that SCV beats them by a point on Saturday in San Antonio. One other observation on Cavaliers - while the flags all have neat Bond refereneces, I think they are so detailed, most will be lost or hard to make out from the 3rd deck in Denver. They also feel a bit cheesy.

Looking forward to the bigger show in San Antonio on Saturday and seeing some West Coast corps for the first time this season.

Magic doesn't miss the skills of one instructor, trust me. They are improving, people are missing that point. We've been over the rebuilding thing over and over and I hope some realize that they are rebuilding. I wonder why some think one person makes a drum corps? Funny, I thought it was the the 128 people marching, plus the instructors and the board of directors and the volunteers.

Edited by Lancerlady

No one said that because Gino is gone that Magic is no good. Your point is well made that one person does not make a drum corps, however one or two people can GREATLY affect that same drum corps. I have not seen Magic myself, but plenty of other instances where the lack of one very special person can change a performance quality.

I dont think that Texasprfan was saying anything bad, just that Gino is missed at magic, as he would be anywhere.

Magic doesn't miss the skills of one instructor, trust me.  They are improving, people are missing that point. We've been over the rebuilding thing over and over and I hope some realize that they are rebuilding. I wonder why some think one person makes a drum corps? Funny, I thought it was the the 128 people marching, plus the instructors and the board of directors and the volunteers.

Stephanie, you make good points, and the product on the field is a combination of all of those things, for sure. You can't underestimate Gino's impact, though, as has had a huge impact on the quality of brass sound in every line he's worked with, from the moment he got there.

Harvey

Magic doesn't miss the skills of one instructor, trust me.  They are improving, people are missing that point. We've been over the rebuilding thing over and over and I hope some realize that they are rebuilding. I wonder why some think one person makes a drum corps? Funny, I thought it was the the 128 people marching, plus the instructors and the board of directors and the volunteers.

Lancerlady:

I think what the reviewer said has a small amount of validity to it. It is very hard to replace someone on the level of Gino Cipriani. While it is the whole corps that makes the season as you suggest, someone with Gino's talent and skills will almost always be missed. It wasn't as noticeable with BD or the Cadets because their level of talent is far superior than others and they hired experienced teachers while also preserving a majority of their other brass staff.

We all recognize magic is rebuilding and doing admirably well considering they have a full corps of rookies for the most part. I just think the reviewer was suggesting that if they still had gino, he might have made a difference with a younger hornline.

We all wish Magic the best of luck this season and hope the members return in force next year to try to make a run at finals once again.

I don't have anything negative to say about Gino, I don't know who he is, but Magic only maintained an 11th place showing last year. However, this year, if you observe their website, they have some great teachers there now as well. I don't know why everyone thinks one instructor can't be replaced. Everybody can be replaced eventually. Trust me. Sorry :OT:

Edited by Lancerlady

In theory yes they can.... however in drum corps ..as we have seen thru history replacing someone is never as easy at it seems.

Many times you are trying to replace a personality..more than just a teacher. And a corps can lose it's identity with that.

Not every instructor is capable of motivating at the same level much less teaching at the same level. Tour needs a pied piper .. a person that wills the students to achieve night after night .

Every successful team has that person. Look around at all the corps and you will find that person. The one that everyone follows-staff --students -vols and admin. Some times a director --sometimes a staff person but i bet they each have that person.

Now of course experience of staff and kids plays a huge roll in the final outcome..chemistry of a staff --very important -IMHO---But not everyone can be replaced--some one else hired --Yes ---person replaced --not always.....

Jeff

Magic doesn't miss the skills of one instructor, trust me.

I don't agree with this statement. Imagine BD without Wayne and Cavies without their drill writer (not really up on my Cavies staff). Also, SCV without Gordon Henderson. I analyzed his record with SCV a couple years ago. Bottom line, SCV beat BD 34% of the time with Gordon Henderson from 1982 to 91 and 96 to 99. I didn't compare SCV with Cadets, Cavies or Madison due to a small sample size. Between 1982 and 2004, SCV beat BD 2 times-the first show in 1992 (we know how that show ended up score wise) and just a couple weeks ago. Many staff members came and left during this tenure, but the stats are the stats. Also Cavies won a title with Gordon on staff in 1995.

One outstanding person can have a significant effect on how a corps performs and competes.

Speaking of Gordon Henderson, many probably don't realize this but he has been on the Cadets brass staff all year. Mainly helping out during the camps and such. I don't think he is touring with them at the moment, but it would not surprise me if he shows up for a week of cleaning before Denver along with Jay Bocook. Of course, the Cadets' head brass guy does a wonderful job.

To add to this topic just a bit, there is no doubt that the 128-135 members on the field make the big difference in a show. But design and teaching are two VERY important facets of any quality program. A good show will challenge and entertain, yet will also be written at a level that encourages and allows fcr success. This means that the instructors designing the show must know the kids in their corps and what they are capable of achieving.

The problem with this is that recruiting really becomes a factor. Corps like BD, Cadets, SCV, Cavies, and Phantom tend to be very consistent with their talent level and the average age of those who audition. Their are exceptions I am sure, but there would be more consistency at this level than say what Magic is dealing with.

When you don't know the talent level or the age level of those that are going to audition for your corps becuse it keeps changing each year, and when numbers are up and down, then having a design and teaching team that is consistent and faithful to the organization is extremely important. If you are in this situation and yet have innconsistencies with your instructional staff, then you have MAJOR problems.

WHY?

1. Many people join a corps due to a particular instructor or a type of instruction.

2. Some join a corps based on their reputation

3. Some join a corps because of their style of show and performance (which has a lot to do with the design team and instructional staff)

4. Some join because they want a great experience, but they will likely join a corps that as a stable situation in terms of innstructional staff, finances, facilities, etc.

Now, these are not the only reasons a kid might join a corps, I only offer these points to illustraste why stability and consistency in design and teaching are important to the health of a corps and their competitive consistency.

Magic will be fine. It sounds like they are younger (but I have not seen the show), and if they can keep a consistent staff and style then their recruiting and retention will improve.

Just my thoughts.

Speaking of Gordon Henderson, many probably don't realize this but he has been on the Cadets brass staff all year. Mainly helping out during the camps and such. I don't think he is touring with them at the moment, but it would not surprise me if he shows up for a week of cleaning before Denver along with Jay Bocook. Of course, the Cadets' head brass guy does a wonderful job.

A friend of mine who marches mello for The Cadets said that Mr. Bocook will be traveling with them in a couple of weeks or so, sometime after their rehearsal in Summerville, SC on the 18th.