JSU Review

I'll try to keep my thoughts about this show a little more concise...

BD- They are performing this show to the MAX. Every year they get crap from people complaining about all the shot-notes in thier show, so I think they decided to hype on it this year... Each one was perfect, so tight, and incredible to hear ^0^ . Soloists have some freakish chops are nailing notes around double C. Aside from Summertime, I don't remember too many melodies that were extended, but the show worked for them (except the ending, which needs a little tweaking). I think they realized how much talent they had in the corps, and decided to spend 10 minutes showing off, and rightfully so. You know that feeling that you get when you are watching a performance, and someone is trying something very difficult...you almost feel nervous for them? Well, this was just a show that you could sit back, relax and enjoy because after a minute into it, you knew they were not going to screw up. It was VERY Clean, and they were oozing with energy. Crowd liked it alot. Not as much as the next corps though. I didn't think it could be topped, until ...

SCV- Holy $h!@ !!!!! A :lol: fter the last two years, I was starting to doubt SCV's design team, and the direction they were taking the corps in. This show is incredible. The emotional level this show achieves, and the way they perform it for the crowd is outstanding, and that doesn't give it enought justice. You really have to see this show live to appreciate it. The Hornline... my God. I was sitting around other band directors, and when they finished, thats all we could talk about. Incredibly loud, Tuned-up more than any other SCV line I have ever heard. One of the best brass sounds I have ever heard on the field. Major Chills!!!! (And a few minor ones as well :P ) And the drumline? Well, I'm not a percussionist, but I could tell they were the best of the night, and the best I've heard all year. This show reminds me of the raw, symphonic power of PR '96, and yes, even though I would have never bet a dollar on it before I saw it, This show stands a very good chance of taking it all home in Denver, and I'd love to see it happen for them. It lacks a little in difficulty, when compared to the competition, so they are definitley going to have to be PERFECT to win though, and I really hope they can get it there. They were the crowd favorite here tonight, hands down. I told myself if they won I'd stay for the encore. Needless to say, I left before America/O-Canada.

Madison- The crowd liked the show, and they loved the end. This corps is building, and improving. Better than last year, which was better than the year before, and they should be congratulated on that. Hornline is putting out some sound, and thier leads/soloists are fantastic. The pit was AMPD, and AMPD too loud. The guy next to me thought the same thing. The opener works for them, but is not mind-blowing. The Ballad, well... It falls short. The end of Malaga rocked my face off, as I was hoping it would ^0^ . The crowd was definitley on thier feet at the end, but I wish the drum major wouldn't have turned around during thier last chord and beckon for us to do so. We would have stood up anyway, and I thought that was just a little tacky. At times, they would end in a formation that just isn't pleasing to the eye..not because it was dirty, just ugly charts, I.e. First park n' bark impact. One big problem...marching. Right before the company front rotation, they have a forward march, 8-5, and it was very dirty. So dirty, that it boggled my mind to think how they could let that happen. The rotation was also muddy, and even novice corps-parents around me were taking note of it (verbally). I noticed some other problems that were very apparent, and could hear the judges from the field catching a lot of it (foot phasing, tone-quality issues, etc). These judges were very loud tonight, and it didn't help that I was near the front of the field. They have a shot at 5th, but I think Phantom and Bluecoats might have a better shot of ending up there (Don't flame me, its just MHO, of course). Thought the score was deserved.

Thoughts on AMPS- I'm not totally against amps, but I didn't like them here. I didn't notice which corps had them usually until thier pits came in. Right away I could tell, because the sound was just, well it just wasn't a good quality. Sounded fake and thin, not natural, and I didn't like it. It didn't ruin any corps show, but I don't think it helped either.

JSU-Home show for them! They played loud, but it wasn't fair for them to go on after SCV. They didn't march as well as they did in Powder Springs, but I thought they were doing more to sell the show to the auidence and judges here tonight, and I'm sure that home-show hype helped them to do that. Parts of the show, especially the ballad, make them sound very Cavalier. So Cavalier, its slightly erie, but the music is quite enjoyable, especially the Bizarro-rock out at the end.

I'm tired. I'll review the rest tommorow...(to be continued)

Edited by iceman

Guest mafields627

Just a few notes off the top of my head.

1) Corpsvets and Court of Honor much improved over Birmingham. CV sounded much more solid and the marching was better, although I still saw some spacing issues. Court of Honor seemed to handle the length of the show better than before, but it's still taxing on the lead trumpets. I'm not sure what the instrumentation is in that section, but i'm thinking only 2 or 3 leads? The trumpet soloist sounded much more confident than Birmingham. Good job to both corps.

2. I liked the Colts show, although Old Man River was a little weak in the beginning. On of their baritones was lying on the field at one point during the middle of the show -- did he eat the grass or just fall out?

3. Madison -- show was good, but marching was dirty. The first half of the show justifies the gap. I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but some of the stuff the guard did was bordering on obscene.

4. Spirit/BK -- BK's trumpet section has a thin sound and I didn't hear contra sound until they were right in front of me. I think if Spirit would have gone on either before or after BK, and not at the end of the show after SCV, they would have ended up ahead of BK, where they should have been.

5. SCV/BD -- SCV's horline was loud and tasty, percussion tops of the night; however, the guard had several drops and several forms (especially rotations) didn't quite hit. BD is pretty clean right now and I think that edged them right over SCV. This was my first time to EVER see SCV and I'm a fan. I think SCV has the vehicle to move up -- IF they get the whole thing clean. Some of the guard uniforms need to be revisited. The peach ones (the ones that don't show belly) are really tight and have seams where there souldn't be seams -- bad design choice.

Miscellany --- The rendition of the national anthem was interesting. A trumpet quarted comprised of Hunter Moss, Mart Avant, Chip Crotts, and Shane Porter, tackled a high and difficult arrangement. If they do this again, they might want to revisit it in a slightly lower key as those partials were getting mighty slippery up top.

Spirit did the encore and, like both times I've seen their show, I was left flat. They play well and sound good, but their playing seems devoid of emotion. Spirit, please figure out who you are -- I'm planning on marching next year, my rook-out year, and would love to have it be with Spirit, but I don't know what to expect from you. I'm not sure what this corps's identity is. Big, brass, and Southern? Or new, orginial music, Cavalier Lite? Figure out your identity and channel that into the image you want to project and your playing. BTW, the trumpets have a slightly airy quality to their tone at times...not sure what that is -- maybe their not used to playing encores. Also, Georgia sounds different that it has in the past. The ending is weak and the harmonies have a slightly hollow quality -- please fix that!

Great show put on by JSU!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but some of the stuff the guard did was bordering on obscene.

do explain

3.  Madison -- I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but some of the stuff the guard did was bordering on obscene.

That's half the fun!

^0^

3.  Madison -- I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but some of the stuff the guard did was bordering on obscene.

I had the same reaction when I saw the show earlier this month. Some of what they did made me downright uncomfortable (and I'm pretty open minded). I had to review their show on my blog because what I had to say about it wasn't appropriate for DCP. I'm no prude (by any stretch) but I was almost expecting the guard to all shout out, "hey buddy, lookin for a date?" (that's probably over the top but that's how shocking I found a lot of what they were doing).

Over the years, lots of all female guards caught heck for being too overtly sexual -- and so few have raised concerns about this show.

Hmm.. double standard?

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My abbreviated thoughts on the show:

BD: I didn't get into the show at any point. No melody anywhere, which has been a complaint of mine for the past few seasons. Drill was dirtier than I've even seen BD in late July. The brass didn't knock me out like I expected them too, but were still quite powerful. The entire show seemed to be the weakest Devils show I've seen in a number of years...the brass charts didn't do their line justice, the guard didn't command my attention, and the drill was a lot of follow the leader stuff. (Percussion omitted as I haven't a clue). The ending of the show, as I'm sure you know, they leave the field quietly as the pit makes train sounds. As it grows more quiet, the percussion battery is all that is left to leave the field (except for the guard, who remains in focus on side one). The problem is, as the pit gets softer, the final sounds you hear comes from the battery "dutting" as they exit to the end zone...not a great way to end the show.

Spirit: Nice improvement since Thursday. Marching is getting cleaner. The contras rock.

Madison: Typical Madison show. Loud, in your face, and entertaining. Nothing exceptional though.

Colts: Yes, someone in the brass line fell or passed out at the end of a major hit. They laid on the field for a good 20 seconds, and I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to go out and help them, as they weren't attempting to get up. Just as the staff rushed the field from the top of the stadium, the kid got up and slowly began to march off the back of the field...but wait...instead, they got back into the drill and finished the show. Amazing determination. I still don't know what happened, if they were clocked and passed out or what...

Colts show: Good show and good sounds. If I had closed my eyes and could invision the Troopers with this show.

SCV: Nothing less than WOW will suffice. Easily the most powerful brass sound of the evening. The drill was flowing and effective. Lots of guard drops even when the weapon wasn't being thrown or tossed.

In my Powder Springs review, I stated that I couldn't see Cavies winning because of how dirty they are right now. Scratch that. the only corps in the top 4 I haven't seen are the Cadets, so I'll leave them out purposefully. Cavies demand is far above anyone elses, yet, they aren't that much dirtier. I was suprised at the dirt in BD's drill, and with that, I expect the title to be between SCV and Cavies. If I were a betting man, I would predict 1. SCV 2. Cavies 3. BD. But, scores rarely ever turn out the way I see it. Case in point...I thought SCV won this show hands down.

Guest mafields627
My abbreviated thoughts on the show:

Colts show:  Good show and good sounds.  If I had closed my eyes and could invision the Troopers with this show. 

You know, I had the same thoughts about the Colts music and Troopers. It's a tasteful Americana show that the Troopers could really do well with.

here, here! i definately agree with you there, that scv was the winner of this show. they are AMAZING!!!! i also agree that the title is SCV's or Cavies. It will be a dogfight and I think the top four scores will be within 2 points or even closer. Cadets don't have a chance of beating SCV or Cavies, BTW... since you have yet to see them.