DesPlaines musings

Re: bigger stadium.  Um, how loud can I say YES in print?  Who makes those decisions?  Should we maybe e-mail Jeff Fiedler and suggest it?  (This is not the only show I've been to that suffered from overcrowding this year - Woodstock comes to mind also.)  It's definitely time to look to the future here, especially with the popularity of this show and the great lineup it attracts.

I have attended this show many times over the years, but this is the first time I remember the stands being packed to the edges. The reserved section is usually sold out, though. But I do remember the port-o-pot and foods lines always being long. I know a lot of people came out of the woodwork to see the Royal Airs and I'm not sure that will happen again.

It's kinda of nice to have a show at the same place every year. People get used to and it makes it easier to keep the fans coming back every year. I say fix the problems and keep the venue.

Agreed, assuming they can fix the problems (which I have to believe can be done). Just wondering - how crowded has the show been in the past? They were well over capacity Sunday - realizing of course that the Royal Airs accounted for some of that. But they get a great lineup for this show - I have to believe it's pretty popular every year. A friend of mine tells me it's always pretty crowded there.

Agreed, assuming they can fix the problems (which I have to believe can be done).  Just wondering - how crowded has the show been in the past?  They were well over capacity Sunday - realizing of course that the Royal Airs accounted for some of that.  But they get a great lineup for this show - I have to believe it's pretty popular every year.  A friend of mine tells me it's always pretty crowded there.

The line-up for this show is usually pretty good, but this is the best line-up in a long time. Santa Clara hasn't been in Chicago for a while, Rockford fans only had to drive 75 miles, and beside Cavaliers there were two other potential top 12 corps plus Mandarin, Troopers, and Royal Airs. And all for $15 or $20! Sure there is always a good crowd, but whenever I have attended there has always been decent seats outside the center sections.

The field is great for marching (natural grass). There is a wide track for trooping the stands. And there are good spots for souvenier trucks. The only downside is the close proximity to O'Hare Airport (jet noise).

Many people don't stay in their seats because this turns out to be a "man, I haven't seen you in years" reunion thing. Chicagoland used to be a huge place for drum corps. I miss being able to go to a show nearly every weekend in the summer and never have to drive more than an hour.

Many people don't stay in their seats because this turns out to be a "man, I haven't seen you in years" reunion thing. Chicagoland used to be a huge place for drum corps. I miss being able to go to a show nearly every weekend in the summer and never have to drive more than an hour.

this is soooooooooooooooooo true. You should have seen all the people hugging and shaking hands because they haven't seen each other in 5, 10, 15, 20, even 30+ years...it was great!

Boy are you right about this. Adding the fact that many Royal-Aire family and friends who haven't seen each other in years were there just added to the excitement of the night. Even though you had to wait an hour for a hot dog and the potty's.

Kosmo!!! How the h### are ya?! Jesus, I think I haven't seen ya since we stepped off the corp busses after DCI in '76. I knew that ol' Joe Boyle was marching Big Blue but I didn't know you were too! I gotta tell ya, everytime I watch a Seinfeld episode I think of ya.

Hope all is well. CYA in Madison??!