Musicallity, SCV and Rick South

Just came across Rick South's name at this place. It made me think...

The best horn lines SCV ever had were under the guidance of Rick South. These were very musical lines. Today's DC's seem mechanical. Sometimes the passion of an instructor comes through in the sound of a hornline. I just have not heard this from SCV in a long time. Any thoughts? :)

Yeah, Rick is a very passionate guy. He came to work with us in 1991 at Freelancers on a consultants basis and I would say that the sound of our hornline that year was miles better than we had ever been. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Just came across Rick South's name at this place.  It made me think...

The best horn lines SCV ever had were under the guidance of Rick South.  These were very musical lines.  Today's DC's seem mechanical.  Sometimes the passion of an instructor comes through in the sound of a hornline.  I just have not heard this from SCV in a long time.  Any thoughts? :)

Yes, Rick deserves a lot of credit, however, he learned most of what he knows from the old master himself, Gail Royer. Gail also deserves credit for developing the Scv horn line into what is was then and what it is today. Long live GR's memory.

Yes, Rick deserves a lot of credit, however, he learned most of what he knows from the old master himself, Gail Royer. Gail also deserves credit for developing the Scv horn line into what is was then and what it is today. Long live GR's memory.

Very, very good point. When I was young SCV was the only corps I wanted to march with. I never marched there but had the chance to get to know many of the fine people in the organization. Unfortunately, GR and I never had much interaction.

I did overhear a post show talk (more like a rant) in '89 where he slammed on the sops playing of the mask. melody...

dinky doooooo, dinky...dinky, dinky dooo....dinky doooo!!!

really funny stuff

I had a chance to "teach" Rick when he was in the B corps in 71. I also had an opportunity to be taught by him with the 97 Alumni Corps. He is a great instructor and a fine person. As far as I know he is still teaching HS in the Santa Clara area.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...