Drum Corps in Argentina or Brazil

Mahler

I read an article somewhere once (my parents are from Brazil) that Pat Seidling does something with some marching bands in Brazil every year.

Can anyone give some more info?

Also, I know that the samba schools during carnaval, although not drum corps, are very similiar in the way they compete and are judged, and they sure can lay down one #### of a beat!

We had a member in 2003 from Brazil, the only Brazillian to ever march American drum corps, to my understanding. His name was Leandro Pascui and he was in the pit.

• 4 weeks later...

One of our drum instructors in 02 and 03 was from Brazil. He never said anything about drum corps or any form of marching arts over there though. But yet, it could have been because no one asked :rolleyes:

This subject is something that strikes me as funny. My family and I come from Brazil and there is some form of marching pagentry there. The way my father explained it is that there are groups, basically small parade "corps" with brass and a battery, called a Fanfare (my Portuguese is a little rusty). They're only made up of local neighborhood kids and only perform on holidays, like Epiphany. You can see them take part in the pagent remaking of the arrival of the three wisemen. Its nothing significant on an American drum corps stand point.

When I first told my parents about drum corps, they thought that they were paying thousands just for my to march in a bunch of parades. Boy were they surprised when I brought home my individual finals tape. b**bs