1975 Finals

we are on the field?

I'm very confused.....it's the finals performance in Philadelphia....it's definately finals, in comes Oakland...ready to line up...what am I forgetting?? :angry::wall::wall::grrr::grrr:

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, went to corpsreps-Oakland was 4th in Prelims, my memory is sketchy on that one, they were 7th in finals, and we were 4th.....due to Muchachos...

1975 to 1982 finals: 4, 5, 4, 7, 5, 2, 4, 6 It's almost like we were in a 4 - 5 holding pattern from 75 to 82...Dan, you said 78 was a holding patter, looks like we were always in that kind of holding pattern, sans 1980.....

OK, went to corpsreps-Oakland was 4th in Prelims, my memory is sketchy on that one, they were 7th in finals, and we were 4th.....due to Muchachos...

Yup, that's why. A lot of Oakies were highly upset about the fall in placement from prelims to finals. It got the usual "politics" complaints, that DCI would never allow a Canadian corps to win finals, "We got screwed!" etc., etc., etc. I didn't march then, so I don't know all the details, just heard about it long after it happened. I do know that when I watch my DVD of that year, seventh place seems pretty realistic. The overall visual program was not clean, and as you can see from the recaps, Oakland's score/ranking among the rest of the finalists is lowest in the M&M caption (and, conversely, that and GE are Two-Seven's best captions): 1975 recaps

I'm now looking for scores that led up to prelims....

Thanks for your reply Sue! However I believe it would have been great for DCI to have had a Canadian Champion, it was called DCI rather than DCN just for that reason, but I don't believe either 2-7 or Oakland were at that level of contender in 1975. I could be incorrect, but that's just my take on the difference between say the top 3 or 4 and the rest of the pack.

Oh sorry, I see you say that it was realistic, however back then, as you very well know, anything could have happened.....that tick system made it very interesting I think! That's why I always thought that the best 4 out of 5 or something like the World Series should have been used during those years at finals.....

Edited by LancerFi

Ask and you shall receive: 1975 season

Ask and you shall receive: 1975 season

Yes, thanks. That's where I went to see prelims and finals that I mentioned above.

Unfortunately, I can get to your scores but no specific show. There are only about 10 or 12, it was a long time ago. So I'm waiting to look to see if the 2 corps met. I believe 2-7 was in California while Oakland did not or at least I don't think they did.

Very strange that on the top of the page it says Inactive 1975....for a first year merger, if that's indeed what they mean, you sure came out of the box swinging!! The 2 corps must have really and truly pulled it together, along with the staff of course. My hat is off and I'm so sorry that you too are an alumnus of another great corps that is gone!

I do remember having a major crush on the some of the boy toys in the corps in 72, 73 and maybe 74 when it was all guys, wasn't it then DeLaselle Oakland (sp) and what was the final year of all males? It must have been those French accents.....LOL

We then passed the buses in near Niagara falls after leaving what I think was Butler, PA. We attempted to get our buses to follow theirs, to no avail of course....13 and 14 year old girls didn't have a leg to stand on!!! :angry: Wow we were a young corps.....

Looking at your list, which is not how I expected it to be-thanks very much, (I expected the corpsrep edition), it doesn't look like the 2 corps met much eh?

Having seen the Lancers come within a whisker of beating Madison in Milwaukee earlier that season - I think a penalty did you in - I was surprised that 2-7 had apparently faded by the time August rolled around. That was one fine corps.

The Oakland Crusaders were also mighty fine. I loved their overall energy. One of my favorite memories from the old days was the first time I saw the '75 corps at U.S. Open. While the corps was warming up on the backside to "Send in the Clowns," a fan ran around the track waving a large Canadian flag. It reminded me of the Olympics. Then, the corps turned around and just cranked!

Looking at the recaps from DCI prelims, I was amazed at the poor showing of the Kilties' horn line. Seventeenth?!? Ow!

Looking at the recaps from DCI prelims,  I was amazed at the poor showing of the Kilties' horn line.  Seventeenth?!?  Ow!

Let me see if the Amazing Kreskin Z can recall '75 Kilts repertoire without consulting corpsreps.com--

OTL--The Third Hoorah (Tull before Garfield!!)

Concert--Roll Over Beethoven

Production--Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thang

Drum Solo--That Irish Washerwoman Baby

Exit--Auld Lang Syne

Someone give me my props, NOW!!!!

:D

OTL--The Third Hoorah (Tull before Garfield!!)

Concert--Roll Over Beethoven

Production--Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thang

Drum Solo--That Irish Washerwoman Baby

Exit--Auld Lang Syne

Someone give me my props, NOW!!!!

Ooh - close Mike, but you're missing the best part of the show!

"Carmina Burana" as into-concert (or whatever the f... we called that part of the show in those days).

Still, not too bad for an auld guy ..:P

Edited by mobrien