Buying horns from corps?

liebot

IMO yamaha's suck.

I bought a Kanstul Powerbore G Soprano from renegades last year. Aside from some cleaning and spit valve corkage it's been a wonderful horn. I really had no idea what I was getting until I got it. At the time the price seemed a little high, but the end product is well worth it. Now I just need a Kanstul Frenchie and a Contra to round out my collection.

If you've never done any horn maintenance or are new to playing in general, I probably wouldn't recommend a used horn. Cause if it has issues, you really wont know, until several years later when you play someone elses version of the same and go, how come mine doesn't play like that. At which point you're really ###### off, cause you either quit playing, or realize you shouldn't be 3rd Sop for the 8th year in a row.

Shadow_7

IMO yamaha's suck.

I bought a Kanstul Powerbore G Soprano from renegades last year.  Aside from some cleaning and spit valve corkage it's been a wonderful horn.  I really had no idea what I was getting until I got it.  At the time the price seemed a little high, but the end product is well worth it.  Now I just need a Kanstul Frenchie and a Contra to round out my collection.

If you've never done any horn maintenance or are new to playing in general, I probably wouldn't recommend a used horn.  Cause if it has issues, you really wont know, until several years later when you play someone elses version of the same and go, how come mine doesn't play like that.  At which point you're really ###### off, cause you either quit playing, or realize you shouldn't be 3rd Sop for the 8th year in a row.

Shadow_7

if u find a place that is selling contras for fairly cheap (hopefully from a corps)...please let me know!! thanks

:P

I'd like to get hold of one of those Yamaha Xeno's (the .462 bore one)

It was sweet to play on all year. :)