MY DCI FINALS REVIEW

Madison, WI

Saturday August 11, 2002

I would have gotten this review posted earlier, but I had to work today and…well, you know how it is.

I need to get my two BIG DCI gripes out of the way FIRST:

1) The backpack debacle: I arrived Thursday afternoon with enough time to see all the quarterfinals corps; however, DCI had other plans. I was carrying a backpack that would have EASILY fit under my seat, containing a sweatshirt, my camera, and a few other assorted items. Upon arriving at the gate, I was told, “We told everyone yesterday that backpacks weren’t allowed, and it was on the DCI Website.” First of all, I wasn’t there on Wednesday and secondly, I have since looked for this nebulous website posting and I saw NOTHING. I had to go back to my hotel…nearly a mile, find a plastic bag to carry my sweatshirt and the few items I wanted to bring in. My plastic bag was almost identical in size to my backpack, but IT WAS OKAY. Go figure. I also saw lots of backpacks walking in the stands Thursday and Friday nights. DCI, if it was security you were concerned with, hire enough people to go through bags AND enforce the rules you have created (at $145 for the tickets, you could AFFORD IT). I didn’t get in until AFTER Magic’s performance and therefore, I’m only going to review Finals.

2) Retreat: On Saturday night the lone announcement, “Corps clear the field – Cavaliers, the field is yours,” was an out and out lie. After nearly an hour, the field was finally clear, but at midnight, the back stadium lights were turned off and a construction crew was making loud noises clearing away DCI advertising materials from the back stands. Having the corps leave the field in reverse order of finish would have taken MUCH LESS time, and would have been MUCH LESS chaotic. You have given the champions the field with improper lighting and loud noises going on behind them. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Before I begin my review, let me compliment one corps that did NOT make finals. I wish they had tied for 12th. The COLTS were wonderful this year, and I look forward to seeing what they have in store for us all next year.

Our seats were upper deck right on the 50 – ten rows or so above the judges – an excellent view.

SEATTLE CASCADES (12TH – 84.05)

I loved their show! I enjoyed the Bernstein music when the Cadets did it, but the Cascades gave it a fresh look and feel, and it was enjoyable from beginning to end. I look forward to seeing what this great group from the NW has in store for us next year.

MAGIC OF ORLANDO (11TH – 84.85)

I saw Magic in Jacksonville, AL in early June, and I was amazed at the transformation and development this show has made! I predicted then that they would make finals, but they exceeded my expectations. Isn’t it strange that a “fallen” performer (to whom I give kudos for his composure), seems to have cost them a place in finals, while the same occurrence for a “powerhouse” had no effect whatsoever (more on that topic later). The ending of their show was one of my favorites of the evening – extremely complex and powerful. Thanks for the great job, Magic!

SPIRIT OF JSU (10TH – 85.45)

They’re baaaack, and I’m very happy to see and hear it. The Saturday night performance was the most emotional of the three nights, and they really sold the show. Not the greatest guard DCI has ever seen, but those ladies did a very nice job conveying the proper mood for the dark to light theme. And their horn line produced a clear and powerful sound. I also very much enjoyed their cymbal line. Congratulations, Spirit, on being back, and I can’t wait to see what Southern Treats you have for us next year!

CROSSMEN (9TH – 89.10)

I love Strawberry Soup; and I think as hard as they tried, it was the corps’ one downfall this year. Try as they could, they just couldn’t finish the show as strongly as it began. I said it last year and I still believe that the Crossmen are a corps on the rise. As always, their guard was outstanding, and their jazz jams were rocking. Thanks for three fine performances, Crossmen!

GLASSMEN (8TH – 91.00)

You have to give those kids credit. They executed the h### out of an inaccessible show, and sold it to the best of their abilities. They are strong in all sections, and their featured soloist was superb, AGAIN! Glassmen staff, please give your kids and the crowd something memorable to cheer for next year. I look forward to hearing the words “exciting” and “fun” about Glassmen next year. Make it happen, please…

BLUECOATS (7TH – 91.50)

BLOOOOOOOOO! This program was wonderful, and you could tell by the kids’ expressions that they were having a gas performing it. The friends with me were all questioning their scores on Thursday night, but by Saturday, all in my group were big Bluecoats supporters! Keep up the good work, and thanks again for a gas of a show.

PHANTOM REGIMENT (Tied for 5TH – 92.40)

What a guard! Those ladies were aggressive like no others on Saturday night! I don’t know how many people know it, but on Wednesday or Thursday, a large percentage of the corps came down with food poisoning (chicken salad left on a bus for 3 hours un-refrigerated). This fact alone impressed the h### out of me! Their performances were all emotional and LOUD. They need a little more complexity to their drill, but if they can add that, they will be in contention for another title, for sure. Thanks for your “show must go on attitude,” Phantom.

BOSTON CRUSADERS (Tied for 5TH – 92.40)

I truly enjoyed Boston’s show. The three DCI shows were my only viewing of them this season, but the show was easy to follow and easy to get into. I wasn’t crazy about the “signs,” and could have enjoyed the show with perhaps two or three less of them (and WHO picked that Marilyn Monroe picture? Enough said there). Their American Flag at the end was a nice touch and a very tasteful and effective ending to an “Americana” show. I told some former Crusaders on Sunday that I was pleased that they no longer have to play the “Conquest” lead-in to get the crowd on its feet (although I wouldn’t mind hearing it again). Thanks for a great job, BOSTON!

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD (4TH – 95.65)

This show got better upon each of my four viewings this year! In my opinion, SCV deserved to be the bronze medallist on Saturday night, and I was very much surprised to see that it did not happen; all those around me were equally surprised as well. Their marching was their major drawback, but it was the second most difficult drill being performed. Despite the fact that the music was unknown to me, I understood what they were doing, and they did it VERY well. If I had a bronze medal to give you, SCV, I would – you deserved it. THANKS! I also want to salute SCV in the poise they demonstrated in their salute of the champion drum majors. Class all the way!

THE CADETS (3RD – 96.75)

I don’t know what happened, but the Cadets seemed shell-shocked or something on Saturday night. The fallen contra, missed horn attacks and numerous HIGHLY visible guard gaffs did not seem to affect the judges’ opinions, however. I can also understand the corps winning drums, but the spread? Curious, very curious, indeed…I enjoyed BWBB a LOT, but, again, the BOXES. No matter what, the moving on and off of the field of those items was ANYTHING but a smooth transition. I’m not going to mention the lack of drill, or the fireman finish, but neither of those items pointed to a third place finish in my humble opinion. I salute the kids for their hard work, but I beg the staff to PLEASE go back to the things that worked soooooo well for you in the past.

BLUE DEVILS (2ND – 97.30)

BD was ROCKIN’!! On almost any other year, this show could have produced a champion. Their drum line’s immaturity and the lack of complexity of the drill held them back from being closer to the Cavaliers, but it didn’t hold the crowd back from enjoying the h### out of their show! I kept wishing they would do the 1976 rendition of Channel One again, but you can’t go back. I would love to see BD revisit COS and Legend of the One Eyed Sailor again with a “new-millennium” twist. Thanks for a fine job, Blue Devils, and watch out, everyone, next year – I think California is going to be contending again!

THE CAVALIERS (1ST – 91.15)

I’ve read some reviews about the guard getting a perfect score, and how it was unfounded, but in my humble opinion, they deserved every tenth of a point – the immaculately clean work with the “box pieces” alone was amazing. No other corps I have ever seen has had such a beautifully integrated package from start to finish. Every t was crossed and i was dotted! And that HORN LINE; an amazing SOUND…goose bump city! Seeing the show a few more times really allowed me to appreciate the nuance of the drill as well. They previewed the fight club sequence with the horn line in the ballad and I didn’t realize it till Saturday night! I can’t wait to get my DVD and see this program a FEW more times. Truly, it is a show that will be remembered for a long, long time. And who knows what they are going to come up with next year? I eagerly anticipate it, and am already missing drum corps season BIG TIME! Thanks, Cavaliers, for a class program from all sections from beginning to end.

In conclusion, I will say that this is the best top twelve I have EVER seen. I have been to 20 DCI finals, and have never seen such great performances from number twelve to number one. Thanks to all the kids and the staffs for making this activity such a worthwhile and enjoyable one for ALL of us fans in the stands.

ReggieDCI@aol.com

Awesome review!!

Am I the only one that caught BAC's salute to Conquest? ALl three nights, no one around me seemed to notice.

Awesome review!!

Am I the only one that caught BAC's salute to Conquest? ALl three nights, no one around me seemed to notice.

Like I said, I only saw BAC the three Madison performances. Where and when was there a Conquest referece? I'll be looking for it when I get my DVDs. Suprisingly, the BAC alum I spoke with didn't say anthing about it when I spoke with them. Was is really subtle?

Thanks!

Reggie

I think it was late in the Jazz section. A series of chord hits that seemed to mirror the Conquest progression. I left my mid-season CD's at work so I can't go back and check right now... Maybe I was the one smoking something though. Anybody else hear it?

I am sick of Boston having a 'salute' to Conquest. In 1970 the two most enjoyable corps at the nationals(vfw) were BAC(music) and Troopers (drill). They were the only corps getting multiple standing ovations. Boston finished 2nd. It was that 1970 version of conquest, with Ed Denin's arrangement that drove the crowd wild. That is the version that the current crusaders need to play. For 30 years playing even a hint of that song has brought them standing o's. If they played that years version the crowd would again go wild! That version is what made them the crowd favorite back then, but even on the through the years Boston CD they don't have that year! They have five other years with inferior horn lines and GE music scores. Not to mention finals position! That was their best finish at either the VFW or DCI nationals-by a wide margin.

Please Boston, give us what we want!

The VFW miami recording each time we now chant 'ugh' then you hear girls scream.

Bill D

The backpack debacle: I arrived Thursday afternoon with enough time to see all the quarterfinals corps; however, DCI had other plans. I was carrying a backpack that would have EASILY fit under my seat, containing a sweatshirt, my camera, and a few other assorted items. Upon arriving at the gate, I was told, “We told everyone yesterday that backpacks weren’t allowed, and it was on the DCI Website.” First of all, I wasn’t there on Wednesday and secondly, I have since looked for this nebulous website posting and I saw NOTHING. I had to go back to my hotel…nearly a mile, find a plastic bag to carry my sweatshirt and the few items I wanted to bring in. My plastic bag was almost identical in size to my backpack, but IT WAS OKAY. Go figure. I also saw lots of backpacks walking in the stands Thursday and Friday nights. DCI, if it was security you were concerned with, hire enough people to go through bags AND enforce the rules you have created (at $145 for the tickets, you could AFFORD IT). I didn’t get in until AFTER Magic’s performance and therefore, I’m only going to review Finals.

The backpack garbage with security was a joke. I blew off Thursday altogether when I got to the stadium and figured out I was going to be delayed getting in.

I had taken a bus in from the west side to avoid the parking situation. So I was faced with taking a bus or taxi back to the hotel. It certainly would have delayed me for about 2 hours. At that point I'd have been wathcing Semis for 2 days in a row.

I thought better of it, and went into downtown spending all my ticket & souvenir money with retailers who had no problem with me carrying a coat & rain poncho in a backpack.

Major screwup on either the stadium or DCI's part.

Before I begin my review, let me compliment one corps that did NOT make finals.  I wish they had tied for 12th.  The COLTS were wonderful this year, and I look forward to seeing what they have in store for us all next year.

REGGIE:

Fantastic Review!! And thanks for the kind words about the Colts.

I totally agree with almost everything you said about all the performances. Can I nominate you now? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Madison, WI

Saturday August 11, 2002

I would have gotten this review posted earlier, but I had to work today and…well, you know how it is.

I need to get my two BIG DCI gripes out of the way FIRST:

1) The backpack debacle: I arrived Thursday afternoon with enough time to see all the quarterfinals corps; however, DCI had other plans. I was carrying a backpack that would have EASILY fit under my seat, containing a sweatshirt, my camera, and a few other assorted items. Upon arriving at the gate, I was told, “We told everyone yesterday that backpacks weren’t allowed, and it was on the DCI Website.” First of all, I wasn’t there on Wednesday and secondly, I have since looked for this nebulous website posting and I saw NOTHING. I had to go back to my hotel…nearly a mile, find a plastic bag to carry my sweatshirt and the few items I wanted to bring in. My plastic bag was almost identical in size to my backpack, but IT WAS OKAY. Go figure. I also saw lots of backpacks walking in the stands Thursday and Friday nights. DCI, if it was security you were concerned with, hire enough people to go through bags AND enforce the rules you have created (at $145 for the tickets, you could AFFORD IT). I didn’t get in until AFTER Magic’s performance and therefore, I’m only going to review Finals.

2) Retreat: On Saturday night the lone announcement, “Corps clear the field – Cavaliers, the field is yours,” was an out and out lie. After nearly an hour, the field was finally clear, but at midnight, the back stadium lights were turned off and a construction crew was making loud noises clearing away DCI advertising materials from the back stands. Having the corps leave the field in reverse order of finish would have taken MUCH LESS time, and would have been MUCH LESS chaotic. You have given the champions the field with improper lighting and loud noises going on behind them. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Before I begin my review, let me compliment one corps that did NOT make finals. I wish they had tied for 12th. The COLTS were wonderful this year, and I look forward to seeing what they have in store for us all next year.

Our seats were upper deck right on the 50 – ten rows or so above the judges – an excellent view.

SEATTLE CASCADES (12TH – 84.05)

I loved their show! I enjoyed the Bernstein music when the Cadets did it, but the Cascades gave it a fresh look and feel, and it was enjoyable from beginning to end. I look forward to seeing what this great group from the NW has in store for us next year.

MAGIC OF ORLANDO (11TH – 84.85)

I saw Magic in Jacksonville, AL in early June, and I was amazed at the transformation and development this show has made! I predicted then that they would make finals, but they exceeded my expectations. Isn’t it strange that a “fallen” performer (to whom I give kudos for his composure), seems to have cost them a place in finals, while the same occurrence for a “powerhouse” had no effect whatsoever (more on that topic later). The ending of their show was one of my favorites of the evening – extremely complex and powerful. Thanks for the great job, Magic!

SPIRIT OF JSU (10TH – 85.45)

They’re baaaack, and I’m very happy to see and hear it. The Saturday night performance was the most emotional of the three nights, and they really sold the show. Not the greatest guard DCI has ever seen, but those ladies did a very nice job conveying the proper mood for the dark to light theme. And their horn line produced a clear and powerful sound. I also very much enjoyed their cymbal line. Congratulations, Spirit, on being back, and I can’t wait to see what Southern Treats you have for us next year!

CROSSMEN (9TH – 89.10)

I love Strawberry Soup; and I think as hard as they tried, it was the corps’ one downfall this year. Try as they could, they just couldn’t finish the show as strongly as it began. I said it last year and I still believe that the Crossmen are a corps on the rise. As always, their guard was outstanding, and their jazz jams were rocking. Thanks for three fine performances, Crossmen!

GLASSMEN (8TH – 91.00)

You have to give those kids credit. They executed the h### out of an inaccessible show, and sold it to the best of their abilities. They are strong in all sections, and their featured soloist was superb, AGAIN! Glassmen staff, please give your kids and the crowd something memorable to cheer for next year. I look forward to hearing the words “exciting” and “fun” about Glassmen next year. Make it happen, please…

BLUECOATS (7TH – 91.50)

BLOOOOOOOOO! This program was wonderful, and you could tell by the kids’ expressions that they were having a gas performing it. The friends with me were all questioning their scores on Thursday night, but by Saturday, all in my group were big Bluecoats supporters! Keep up the good work, and thanks again for a gas of a show.

PHANTOM REGIMENT (Tied for 5TH – 92.40)

What a guard! Those ladies were aggressive like no others on Saturday night! I don’t know how many people know it, but on Wednesday or Thursday, a large percentage of the corps came down with food poisoning (chicken salad left on a bus for 3 hours un-refrigerated). This fact alone impressed the h### out of me! Their performances were all emotional and LOUD. They need a little more complexity to their drill, but if they can add that, they will be in contention for another title, for sure. Thanks for your “show must go on attitude,” Phantom.

BOSTON CRUSADERS (Tied for 5TH – 92.40)

I truly enjoyed Boston’s show. The three DCI shows were my only viewing of them this season, but the show was easy to follow and easy to get into. I wasn’t crazy about the “signs,” and could have enjoyed the show with perhaps two or three less of them (and WHO picked that Marilyn Monroe picture? Enough said there). Their American Flag at the end was a nice touch and a very tasteful and effective ending to an “Americana” show. I told some former Crusaders on Sunday that I was pleased that they no longer have to play the “Conquest” lead-in to get the crowd on its feet (although I wouldn’t mind hearing it again). Thanks for a great job, BOSTON!

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD (4TH – 95.65)

This show got better upon each of my four viewings this year! In my opinion, SCV deserved to be the bronze medallist on Saturday night, and I was very much surprised to see that it did not happen; all those around me were equally surprised as well. Their marching was their major drawback, but it was the second most difficult drill being performed. Despite the fact that the music was unknown to me, I understood what they were doing, and they did it VERY well. If I had a bronze medal to give you, SCV, I would – you deserved it. THANKS! I also want to salute SCV in the poise they demonstrated in their salute of the champion drum majors. Class all the way!

THE CADETS (3RD – 96.75)

I don’t know what happened, but the Cadets seemed shell-shocked or something on Saturday night. The fallen contra, missed horn attacks and numerous HIGHLY visible guard gaffs did not seem to affect the judges’ opinions, however. I can also understand the corps winning drums, but the spread? Curious, very curious, indeed…I enjoyed BWBB a LOT, but, again, the BOXES. No matter what, the moving on and off of the field of those items was ANYTHING but a smooth transition. I’m not going to mention the lack of drill, or the fireman finish, but neither of those items pointed to a third place finish in my humble opinion. I salute the kids for their hard work, but I beg the staff to PLEASE go back to the things that worked soooooo well for you in the past.

BLUE DEVILS (2ND – 97.30)

BD was ROCKIN’!! On almost any other year, this show could have produced a champion. Their drum line’s immaturity and the lack of complexity of the drill held them back from being closer to the Cavaliers, but it didn’t hold the crowd back from enjoying the h### out of their show! I kept wishing they would do the 1976 rendition of Channel One again, but you can’t go back. I would love to see BD revisit COS and Legend of the One Eyed Sailor again with a “new-millennium” twist. Thanks for a fine job, Blue Devils, and watch out, everyone, next year – I think California is going to be contending again!

THE CAVALIERS (1ST – 91.15)

I’ve read some reviews about the guard getting a perfect score, and how it was unfounded, but in my humble opinion, they deserved every tenth of a point – the immaculately clean work with the “box pieces” alone was amazing. No other corps I have ever seen has had such a beautifully integrated package from start to finish. Every t was crossed and i was dotted! And that HORN LINE; an amazing SOUND…goose bump city! Seeing the show a few more times really allowed me to appreciate the nuance of the drill as well. They previewed the fight club sequence with the horn line in the ballad and I didn’t realize it till Saturday night! I can’t wait to get my DVD and see this program a FEW more times. Truly, it is a show that will be remembered for a long, long time. And who knows what they are going to come up with next year? I eagerly anticipate it, and am already missing drum corps season BIG TIME! Thanks, Cavaliers, for a class program from all sections from beginning to end.

In conclusion, I will say that this is the best top twelve I have EVER seen. I have been to 20 DCI finals, and have never seen such great performances from number twelve to number one. Thanks to all the kids and the staffs for making this activity such a worthwhile and enjoyable one for ALL of us fans in the stands.

ReggieDCI@aol.com

I KNOW!!!! I was watching them in the stands, and i just had a bad feeling as the guard came up front for their "sound off" near the end . . .i jsut knew that someone would drop it, but not like that! Ive watched them all summer, and their guard is awesome, dont get me wrong!! Its just sad that that had to happen on finals night .. .and the firefighters at the end :lol: . . .maybe just a little too much cheese, if you asked me .. . .but they did work hard! I heard that the members decided in the middle of the season to cut all of their off days and rehearse. Now THAT is determination!! Hats off to you guys for a great season!