Mellophone authenticity

MonsterDude

Hi, I'm new here and I like the look and feel of this place. Anyway, I came here to ask people if there exists a Mellophone under the description of Olds Ultratone with rotary and piston valves, I was looking on Ebay for a Mellophone, I like the look, price, and uniqueness, but I doubt if it is real or not. Thank you for your help, I'd just like to get this sorted out, thank you!

In the late 70s Westshoremen marched Olds Duratone (dull finish) Baris and Contras. The rest of the horn line had the "shiny" finish but don't know if they were Olds. But if Olds wasn't making mellies back then, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

PS - Everything was piston/rotor in those days.

I just noticed something else (maybe just even added on the page) it says " Olds Molded Ultratone-Mellophone Horn Valve Rotor Silver" the molded, does that just mean that they copied off of the real thing (making my original hint that it was a fake real" but then again it has a serial number). Right now I'm thinking its cheap enough that I'll still get it. I consider myself a collector/really really ameatuer(sp?) at instruments, perticularily not run-of-the-mill ones. So once again, thanks for all your help guys!

I just noticed something else (maybe just even added on the page) it says " Olds Molded Ultratone-Mellophone Horn Valve Rotor Silver" the molded, does that just mean that they copied off of the real thing (making my original hint that it was a fake real" but then again it has a serial number). Right now I'm thinking its cheap enough that I'll still get it. I consider myself a collector/really really ameatuer(sp?) at instruments, perticularily not run-of-the-mill ones. So once again, thanks for all your help guys!

I don't know what "molded" means here, but I doubt anyone would go out of their way to make a fake Olds Ultratone Mello. Given the cost to make one (there aren't no-name brand piston-rotor G horns readily available) and the fact that they don't sell for too much anyway would mean you wouldn't make much profit off it.

I ended up not getting it anyway. It's because I noticed in the picture there was only 2 valves, one piston, one rotor, is that normal on these (I'm still asking because I'm sure it'll pop up on Ebay sometime or another) and about not going out of there way...what about the company (ies?) from India? (this wasn't from India, but NY, its just a comparison)

valve rotor configuration would be correct for that vintage of horn. It looked right to me, right down to the curved rotor key, if I recall correctly.

And I doubt that there are any Indian horn manufacturers who would bother to copy bugles, especially old versions - but stranger things do happen.