DCA Album Liner Notes

(Following is from 1977 DCA Album)

SUNRISERS CAPTURE D.C.A. TITLE

(Sunrisers 94.15)

(Caballeros 94.10)

In one of the most exciting finishes in the 13-year history of the Drum Corps Associates Championships, the Sunrisers “edged” their way into the coveted first place niche in Senior Circles. Their margin of victory – a scant one half tenth of a point over the defending champion Hawthorne Caballeros.

After a whopping three point win in the afternoon Preliminaries, many fans had all but conceded the title to the highly polished and sophisticated Blue and Orange clad machine from Long Island. Contrary to these opinions and typical of the excitement that the Senior Corps Championships generate, the Sunrisers had to put forth their finest efforts in the Finals and stand at Retreat with baited breath and scared emotions awaiting the scoring results.

The perennial favorites in Senior activity, the defending champion Caballeros had brought the audience to their feet with a stunning display of their musical and marching prowess. This following a tremendous performance by the former champion Buccaneers of Reading, Pa.

As the corps awaited the final scores, the excitement of a possible “upset” started to generate with the beginning of announcements of the Special Awards. Trophy for the best overall bugles – The Hawthorne Caballeros; Trophy for best General Effect – the Reading Buccaneers and Trophy for best overall Marching and Maneuvering – The Hawthorne Caballeros.

When the impact of these awards had settled on the audience, it was all but obvious that the Caballeros had once done what they do best, win the “big ones”. If not the Cabs, then surely the Buccaneers, inasmuch as the Sunrisers had failed to capture any of the big three caption awards.

As per custom, the scores of the 10th place Corps was announced first and after what seemed like an eternity to the three main contenders, from the microphone came the words – and in third place, with a scores of… the Buccaneers of Reading, Pa. To the Sunrisers and their huge following of supporters and friends, a sigh of relief. If not First at least a Second place finish and maybe, just maybe – a chance for that coveted title. After what seemed another eternity, the words again came “booming” over the public address system. In second place with a score of… the Caballeros of Hawthorne, NJ.

Bedlam in the Sunriser ranks and a tumultuous roar of approval from the stands, the winner and new Senior Corps Champions – the Sunrisers of Long Island. With the announcement that the margin of victory was a scant one-half tenth, the applause rose to greater heights for the defending Champion “Caballeros”, who relinquished their title after one of the greatest comeback performances in their long history.

Scores of the contest are secondary because each of the finalists was a victor judging by the waves of applause greeting their performances. The 13,000 plus fans in attendance at the beautiful Allentown School District Stadium, were treated to one of the finest Senior Championships staged by Drum Corps Associates. Blessed with ideal weather conditions, an immaculate gridiron and excellent lighting system, each of the finalists unveiled a variety of musical styles, explosive drill designs and sparkling choreography that kept an appreciative audience highly entertained thru-out the four hour show.

Making a long trek to the East Coast for the first time and adding a new look to the Senior Scene were the highly entertaining Brass, Inc, Minnesota and the Chicago Connection of Illinois. Appearing unheralded and stunning the veteran Drum Corps fans with one of the most exciting marching shows ever display by the Senior Corps were Les Ambassadeurs of Arvida, Quebec, Canada. Most fans never heard of the town, or even suspected that Drum Corps existed some 300 miles North of Montreal, Canada. The Ambassadeurs show drew a long standing ovation from the audience and earned them a seventh place finish in the Final contest, a feat never accomplished by a first year competition unit.

And to this list such great performing Corps as the Matadors, Skyliners, Rochester Crusaders, and Conn. Hurricanes and you have one of the finest shows ever presented in the World Senior Championships. The albums and 8 Track Tapes will attest to the sparkling musical performances and will enable those who were in attendance to “relive” the excitement time and time again. As you listen to these Recordings, brilliantly engineered by Maurice Stith, remember that you are listening to one of the most exciting Championship Contest in Senior Corps annals.

OK, should have posted the explaination first but had the above post in the scratch pad and didn't want to go thru the hassle of losing it. I'm planning to sell my DCA vinyls (1977-ca 1990) on eBay as I replace them with CDs. Problem is the back of the big butted album covers has a lot of historic info that I didn't want to lose when I (hopefully) sell the albums. I'm hand typing the writeups as I find the time and plan to post what I type in case any one is interested.

PS - Any Rochester Phoenix members should be highly PO'ed by the comment about Les Ambassadeurs 7th place finish.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari