The Best Baritones

King_ReMO

i had heard that the brass staff at BD practicaly Designs the Dynasty horns. If this is the case then the staff would know every horns strengths and weakness Beingable to take advantage of that to the fullest

In my Opinion

King Euphs Best Horn ive ever played

King Baries would besecond

Yamaha Baries

and then Dynasties

But Dynasty Euphs Are pretty good too

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha: Always felt stuffy to me. Especially in the extreme registers. Pedal Bb down, and high Bb up seemed very closed to me. My opinion would change if the level of projection, and carrying power was improved. The Yamaha marching euph I played was easily one of the worst horns I have ever played. It was a prototype, but all of the negative characteristics of the baritone were magnified in the euphonium. I dont know if they made improvements and started marketing it though.

Dynasty: They are pretty decent baritones. Not the best but they certainly arent the worst. Wayne and the Blue Devils brass staff have definitely made some great improvements to those horns. The sound they produced was rich, and blended well with the euphonium voice. They are one of the better baritones, and I like the sound of the euphs, but I would weight the horn differently. Dynasty makes the best baritone, and euphonium combination. No other manufacturer makes both horns that blend so well, (even though King comes close).

Kanstul: Never been a big fan of the baritones because I just felt like it played more like a marching trombone than a marching baritone. The timbre was just a little brighter than I would prefer for a baritone sound. I liked the Kanstul euphonium but it reminded me of a G because the pitch center was especially wide especially at the louder dynamic levels. It has a lot of power, but the focus of the sound was somewhat problematic, especially when relating to intonation at the higher dynamic levels.

King: Trying not to be biased here, but I liked the King baritones. They projected well, and still remained pretty warm at the higher dynamics. The King euphoniums are truly great horns. It is solidly the best Bb marching euphonium on the market, and I am not just saying that because thats what we use at Teal. The pitch center is consistent and easier to control at any dynamic. The tone and timbre of the instrument are just gorgeous, and the amount of quality sound that comes out of the bell at the louder dynamic levels is exciting to say the least. My vote goes to King.

Baritones:

1. King

2. Dynasty

3. Yamaha

4. Kanstul

Euphoniums:

1. King

2. Dynasty

3. Kanstul

4. Yamaha

Edited by DevsBari02

I've found that many people will say they prefer Yamaha or Kanstul ot even DEG if that is the horn they have personally performed on UNTIL they try the new ultimate series from KING. It is almost unanimous that these are the "ultimate" in low brass instruments.

I would not recomend the new King Euphs to a highschool marching band - they are beasts, and require dedicated people to control them.

However, the baritone is light, and despite the ability of a drum corps musician to max them out, most high school bands would be more than overwhelmed by just a few of them.

I have used a brand new Dynasty Baritone at the last two Glassmen camps and I love it. I play a King 1124 in my high school band and I prefer the darker sound of the Dynasty horn to the King. It is heavier than the King but it's worth it in the sound and it makes me stronger... anyways there's my 2 cents. B)

• 1 month later...

i really want to try the new kings i've heard so much good feedback about them. i finally have my dynasty euph to play on and i love it. it feels better and sounds better (to me) than the kanstul euph i used for marching band. but i have no decision on euphs until i try the kings which probably wont happen any time within the next however long.

First, I've been told that the horns that BD plays on are exclusive to them and impossible to buy.

Now, that said, I've played on Dynasty and played around with the Yamaha. I greatly preferred the Yamaha. Which in 2005 is going large-bore as standard.

The 2005 Dynasty euphs are adding 4 oz to the back of the horns balancing them so much better then the 2004 line.

In all honesty, I would go with the Yamaha, I liked the tone I got out of it, I liked the responsiveness and I wasn't even warmed-up.

Edited by RochyBari

I have my new Dynasty Bb euph, and I love it. Without a doubt the best marching bari or euph I've ever played. I can push more air through it that any other horn as well. Intonation is excellent.

I use a 1-1/2G mouthpiece, and the horn sounds wonderful.