The Best Baritones

King_ReMO

I'm with you on the Kings...heh...remember when Frank D. took our Olds Ultratones away and made the leads all play the new DEG's? yuck! that lasted one season. then it was GIVE ME MY HORN BACK!!

Yeah,THAT worked. :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yamaha bari sounds less tromboney because it's a hybrid instrument. It's basically an attempt to produce a euph sound in a baritone package.

In marching brass, you need two distinct baritone and euph voices.

The large bore also presents playability problems. You can't take a bore that large and then wrap it that tightly without having problems with the horns being stuffy, and most people who play Yamaha baris agree that they're *very* stuffy.

The Yamaha bari sounds less tromboney because it's a hybrid instrument. It's basically an attempt to produce a euph sound in a baritone package.

In marching brass, you need two distinct baritone and euph voices.

The large bore also presents playability problems. You can't take a bore that large and then wrap it that tightly without having problems with the horns being stuffy, and most people who play Yamaha baris agree that they're *very* stuffy.

"Best Baritones":

Speaking ONLY for "G" Baritone bugles, present day, there are two distinct classes:

1. Kanstul

2. Everybody else.

Elphaba

I know when I was in Blue Devils in the 80's we used King 2 value....and over the many many years they have won the most brass titles of any DCI corps. I would agree with blueblood.....the horn helps but it is the talent that teaches the line and the great brass book that Wayne puts our every year.

Last year the Renegades made a switch to Kanstul for the horn line and the staff is happy with their choice.

"Best Baritones":

Speaking ONLY for "G" Baritone bugles, present day, there are two distinct classes:

1.  Kanstul

2.  Everybody else.

Elphaba

I would have agreed with you until November 27th. I had the opportunity to play on a quite new Dynasty and I actually loved it. The intonation was a million times better then the Kanstul I have played for the last 4 years.

Coming from a Kanstul fan.......... this means something.

I would have agreed with you until November 27th. I had the opportunity to play on a quite new Dynasty and I actually loved it. The intonation was a million times better then the Kanstul I have played for the last 4 years.

Coming from a Kanstul fan.......... this means something.

I have heard that the new Dynasty baritone is quite an improvement over (or at least different than) the ones they've been making the past couple of years. I haven't gotten a chance to play one yet, however.

i've played on yamaha, kanstul, dynasty, and crappy student model kings. i can tell you if you band director goes for king it had #### well better be their ultimate marching brass and nothing else. i like kanstul, good tone quality, good intonation, especially with baris and all not tuning. dynasy, not much to say, not bad, not great, decent, i played one all last summer. the only real beef i had with it was that bracing on the third valve slide. i havent had the chance to play on the new ones yet. now yamaha. i dont know what it is about them, i just dont like the horn. i have nothing to back that up with so i'll leave it at that.