I.C. Reveries/27th Lancers History

Hello.

Could someone please explain the history behind the I.C. Reveries and the 27th Lancers? More specifically, why did the organization eventually become two separate drum corps? Why didn't they continue as one unit? I thought that they all decided to re-group as "27" after they lost the church's sponsorship. Thank you.

Hello.

Could someone please explain the history behind the I.C. Reveries and the 27th Lancers? More specifically, why did the organization eventually become two separate drum corps? Why didn't they continue as one unit? I thought that they all decided to re-group as "27" after they lost the church's sponsorship. Thank you.

You can go here to check out I.C.'s website;

I.C. Reveries

You can also go here to learn more about 27th Lancers;

27th Lancers

Keep in mind that LancerFi (a member here on DCP) was a member with I.C. and 2-7 so she could give you her insights as to what happened.

Hello.

Thank you Ms. Malibu!

The reason there still ended up being an I.C. Reveries is because what was left was the feeder corps. Kids between the ages of maybe 7 to 13, and then in the 70's we grew up. So of the people that were in the senior Reveries became 2-7, and maybe a third of the younger feeder corps crowd would eventually go to 2-7 in 1975 and 1976. Another mayber 1/3 stayed, merged a few times to eventually become North Star (MA)

Both groups (2-7 and Reveries) ended up in Division I, we didn't tour as much when DCI came to be, and the closest the Reveries ever came to 2-7 in competition was I believe at World Open in 1974, they beat us I believe by maybe 2 or 3 points (it was a rebuilding year for 27).

So in my mind although people were in some cases 18 or 19 in the Reveries as the corps went on and people stayed and we also became a Division I corps, the younger people like myself just continued into 2-7. Our loyalty to the Reveries who went from Class C to B to A (Division 1) was strong. We didn't lack talent, just the #s, the money, and in some cases the staff. Many, many of us could have gone to 2-7 by 1972 or 73 but didn't.....in 74 2-7 had 11 year olds marching. It was very family oriented back then, and mostly all local. I sometimes wish I had gone sooner, but do treasure my time with and the friends from those days!

I hope this isn't so confusing....and hope it makes sense. I should have maybe done A, B, and C so that it would have been much clearer!

I hope this helps, and actually, eventually 3 Division 1 corps came from a very, very small area in this area.

Thanks for all of the information. It cleared up a lot of the confusion about each of the respective corps' histories. It sounds a little like the Madison Scouts/Madison Junior Scouts/Capitolaires/Capitol Sound relationship.

I first heard of 27 back in 1994 (I was twelve years old and in the eighth grade), when I taped the PBS broadcast. I loved your corps' precision. I wish that I were able to see more footage of you all, and many other corps from "back in the day." I'm still pretty upset that my tape broke right after I returned from tour in 2003!

Thanks for all of the information. It cleared up a lot of the confusion about each of the respective corps' histories. It sounds a little like the Madison Scouts/Madison Junior Scouts/Capitolaires/Capitol Sound relationship.

I first heard of 27 back in 1994 (I was twelve years old and in the eighth grade), when I taped the PBS broadcast. I loved your corps' precision. I wish that I were able to see more footage of you all, and many other corps from "back in the day." I'm still pretty upset that my tape broke right after I returned from tour in 2003!

Actually you can see more of what it was like back in the days LancerFi and I marched. Check out;

DCI Legacy Collection DVDs

Also, keep a watch on ebay (type in drum corps). I see videos from that era go up for auction every now and then.

Good Luck! <santa>

Nancy's account is dead on accurate about the split but here's a little more.

After the infamous sit down strike at the VFW in 1966 the (senior) Reveries came home to the I.C. parish in Revere. Father Gallegher at I.C. was starting to question the amount of support his church was giving the Reveries. The corps was after all, supported for the benefit of the kids within the Imacculate Conception parish but through 1966 and by the beginning of the 1967 season nearly half the corps membership came from far off lands like Cambridge, Malden, Everett and (God forbid) CHELSEA!

Fr. Gallegher announced at the end of the 1967 season that all support for the senior Reveries would cease, all equipment would be turned in to the church but the Junior Reveries would still get the parish's financial support.

By October of '67 The Red Sox had lost the World Series in 7 games to the Cardinals and the 27th Lancers had yet to be seen by anyone.

By October of '04 The Red Sox swept the Cardinals in 4 games and almost no one marching in DCI today can say that they ever saw the 27th Lancers perform live.

That's a moment of zen for ya'

Nancy's account is dead on accurate about the split but here's a little more.

After the infamous sit down strike at the VFW in 1966 the (senior) Reveries came home to the I.C. parish in Revere. Father Gallegher at I.C. was starting to question the amount of support his church was giving the Reveries. The corps was after all, supported for the benefit of the kids within the Imacculate Conception parish but through 1966 and by the beginning of the 1967 season nearly half the corps membership came from far off lands like Cambridge, Malden, Everett and (God forbid) CHELSEA!

Fr. Gallegher announced at the end of the 1967 season that all support for the senior Reveries would cease, all equipment would be turned in to the church but the Junior Reveries would still get the parish's financial support.

By October of '67 The Red Sox had lost the World Series in 7 games to the Cardinals and the 27th Lancers had yet to be seen by anyone.

By October of '04 The Red Sox swept the Cardinals in 4 games and almost no one marching in DCI today can say that they ever saw the 27th Lancers perform live.

That's a moment of zen for ya'

Thanks dmr27! It was just amazing that because some members were not from the Parish proper, he no longer felt it was the right, when really it was just helping "kids in general".

Also as you said (God Forbid) the people that my Dad used to pick up in Roxbury like Keith and Stanley Maynard, and I can't remember his name for the life of me right now-but he could do the 100 yard dash like an Olympian (Buckley?). And the Boyds...and so on, until they were able to drive and get their own cars. I believe George and Pa Scopa believed helping "inner city" kids was just as important as helping the parish kids and everyone is sure glad they did! Opening up membership was one of the best thing to ever happen, the Roslindale crew is famous, or should I say infamous, the Marlboro crew and later on the Nashua, N.H. crew and so many more!

Thanks for adding a very important piece which I left out! Your memory and putting together of the whole story not only for Volume 2 of the DC History Book and the video you made for the 35th is just beyond great. :blink: Oops that order is switched, but you know what I mean... :rolleyes: :P

Edited by LancerFi

Opening up membership was one of the best thing to ever happen, the Roslindale crew is famous, or should I say infamous, the Marlboro crew and later on the Nashua, N.H. crew and so many more!

Thanks for adding a very important piece which I left out!  Your memory and putting together of the whole story not only for Volume 2 of the DC History Book and the video you made for the 35th is just beyond great.  :blink:  Oops that order is switched, but you know what I mean... :rolleyes:  :P

Fi,

you left out Norwood! I'm devastated!!! (;-{

I have decided to put the 35th anniversary and 1994 videos up on my website for all to see. I'll post the link when they are ready for prime time.

Fi,

you left out Norwood! I'm devastated!!! (;-{

I have decided to put the 35th anniversary and 1994 videos up on my website for all to see. I'll post the link when they are ready for prime time.

Oh My Lord I apologize and may I tell you that the very first time I ever went to Norwood (which I found to be a lovely city) was I think in 1970 maybe? To Giants house....then in 1975 to Gary R. house which I believe was in Home & Gardens one year for a pool party....do I have the correct people from Norwood? Can you give me a few more first name last initials aside for yourself as I'm blanking out on the "crew" - a very strong crew I might add, that added so much to the Lancer Family and Legacy!! Jerry B wasn't was he? Was your lovely wife?

Edit: Where were the DiTomasso's (sp) from? Marlborough? I only went to their lake house and couldn't believe how far they had to come for practice everynight. To me it seemed far seeing that I could practically walk to most practices....

You know I believe we should start a thread on "Strange, Odd, Out of the Ordinary and Sometimes Dangerous Hobbies" as I find what you and your wife do, and who you feed at the "A" to not only be one of the most intriguing, but very, very interesting....it's not a normal hobby so to speak and I wish I had the caliones to do it!!

Great idea for the website.....94 would be a great thing for new members and fans to see and the 35th left me just speechless as it was done with such creativity......

Edited by LancerFi