1981 Legacy DVD

Quick question....

The 1982 DCI recordings sound markedly different from the 1981 recordings, although they were both recorded in Montreal. In '81 the mics were right near the staff box and, although it's exciting to hear the staff yelling and cheering during the show, it's kind of a top-heavy and unbalanced mix. The '82 mix is completely different and, in my opinion, much more balanced and full. I actually love the natural reverberation of the dome, although I know it was a nightmare performing there.

Anyway, my question is, how are the mixes on the DVD? Are the audio portions of the DVD the same as the original DCI releases? Or is it a different set of mics?

Just curious!

The 81 DVD is from DCI Midwest at UW Whitewater, so it wouldn't really be a apples-apples comparison. I just got these two DVDs, so I don't know them well enough to compare the audio in any meaningful way. I didn't notice any obvious problems with either.

There are some audio problems at the end of SCV's 82 show that I fully blame on some sort of technical glitch in the recording equipment! ^0^

Quick question....

The 1982 DCI recordings sound markedly different from the 1981 recordings, although they were both recorded in Montreal.  In '81 the mics were right near the staff box and, although it's exciting to hear the staff yelling and cheering during the show, it's kind of a top-heavy and unbalanced mix.  The '82 mix is completely different and, in my opinion, much more balanced and full.  I actually love the natural reverberation of the dome, although I know it was a nightmare performing there.

Anyway, my question is, how are the mixes on the DVD?  Are the audio portions of the DVD the same as the original DCI releases?  Or is it a different set of mics?

Just curious!

There is a way to hear the finals recordings on the 81 DVD. You just have to look for the Easter egg. (or not look for it...hint...hint). As far as the sound goes, I really love hearing all the staff's go crazy. It adds a touch of depth and excitement to the performance. I do agree that the 82 DVD's sound a little better, but I didnt really notice till you brought it up. Maybe in 82 they went stereo? I dunno. I enjoy just about all the performances from both years.

As previously noted, the '81 DVD was dubbed from the Whitewater broadcast, which was recorded in glorious tv mono. The sound you got, is the sound you got.

As far as finals recordings go, '81 was the last year that Ken Kobold recorded finals. He was working with only two mics that year (and in 79 and 80, if I remember correctly), mounted on a boom right at the 50. It was strange, since he'd been working with at least 4 mics spread over the front sideline during the early to mid 70s - and getting much better recordings. '74, in particular, is a great set of recordings, considering how relatively crude the technology was.

In '82, DCI heard enough complaints about the finals recordings that they hired a new team to take over, which dramatically improved the product (I remember Larry Rock from 'FMT in Chicago was working on them, among others). Ken still recorded prelims that year, and sold his prelims tapes up until the time of his death.

As previously noted, the '81 DVD was dubbed from the Whitewater broadcast, which was recorded in glorious tv mono. The sound you got, is the sound you got.

As far as finals recordings go, '81 was the last year that Ken Kobold recorded finals. He was working with only two mics that year (and in 79 and 80, if I remember correctly), mounted on a boom right at the 50. It was strange, since he'd been working with at least 4 mics spread over the front sideline during the early to mid 70s - and getting much better recordings. '74, in particular, is a great set of recordings, considering how relatively crude the technology was.

In '82, DCI heard enough complaints about the finals recordings that they hired a new team to take over, which dramatically improved the product (I remember Larry Rock from 'FMT in Chicago was working on them, among others). Ken still recorded prelims that year, and sold his prelims tapes up until the time of his death.

Cool...thanks for the background! I ordered the 82 prelims recording of the Dev's show, and, what do you know, it sounded a lot like the '81 finals recordings. Now it makes sense! I just think -- personally -- that the 82-on recordings are really nice and lush sounding relative to the '81 recordings. Although I certainly love the brassy and huge sound of the 70's recordings.

Anyway, thanks for the info!