Festival of Grapes (FOG) SilverCreek, NY

Hey all,

A fond memory just popped into my mind that I thought I would share with the newsgroup.....1975/6 (?) some Pittsburgh locals were trying to get the Rocket back together and we had an all aged corps performance in Silvercreek for the F.O.G. that was a GREAT experience for all the new members.....Two buses; overnight in the gym; staff and corps performed together; 26 silks; 20 horns; and a front line of snare drums that were in their 40's and drumming....The organizing committee were very generous with the wine (for staff members only), we got hats with grapes on the visor part, two other New York corps were @ the parade, I can't remember who they were, and they came running when we unloaded a bus with 26 silks for warm-ups....Almost disqualified for stopping near the judging area, called Steve Cooley and almost sent a mini corps to play in his front yard in Dunkirk, and really enjoyed the total experience for all the junior members within the corps.... I don't know if they still have the festival, but if you get a chance to visit the area please enjoy the (F. O. G.) in SilverCreek, N.Y.

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

Member of the Olde Phartes Brigade

Brotherhood of the Valve/Rotor Bugle

John G

Hey all,

A fond memory just popped into my mind that I thought I would share with the newsgroup.....1975/6 (?) some Pittsburgh locals were trying to get the Rocket back together and we had an all aged corps performance in Silvercreek for the F.O.G. that was a GREAT experience for all the new members.....Two buses;  overnight in the gym;  staff and corps performed together;  26 silks;  20 horns;  and a front line of snare drums that were in their 40's and drumming....The organizing committee were very generous with the wine (for staff members only),  we got hats with grapes on the visor part, two other New York corps were @ the parade, I can't remember who they were,  and they came running when we unloaded a bus with 26 silks for warm-ups....Almost disqualified for stopping near the judging area,  called Steve Cooley and almost sent a mini corps to play in his front yard in Dunkirk,  and really enjoyed the total experience for all the junior members within the corps.... I don't know if they still have the festival, but if you get a chance to visit the area please enjoy the  (F. O.  G.) in SilverCreek,  N.Y.

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Hey, that sounds neat..In my day I played many west NY venues, but don,t remember SilverCreek. Anyhow, I was wondering if maybe I qualified for Old Phartes or Valve/Rotor or not. My first bugle was 2 valve horizontal, then valve/slide, then many years V/R. Also, I competed against Rockets alot. Really enjoyed hearing Reggie, he was king. (Also a conesseur of W/Pa and NY's finest malt bevereges, but can't spell a lick) B)

I judged the Grape Festival many times - and yes, there was plenty of wine for the judges

Hey Guys,

Yes, Bugleboy1048 you will qualify for the Brotherhood of the Valve/Rotor ONLY because I also played a horizontal frenchhorn in the 1960's....Olde Pharts Brigade is another qualification needed about brewski.....I have competed in Brockway with Vern Acklin Cavliers many times....Riggie is play for his third year with Steel City Ambassadors Alumni and you can still enjoy his music....Isn't Crusaders also spliting time in Brockway???? You should go to a rehearsel and say hello to Donnie and Mike L.....

Tom, you were more than likely judging when the Pgh corps was there...I claimed ignorance and stated that we were from another state and weren't aware of the stopping rule....We were issues a warning.....

Thanks for the replys...

John G

Hey Guys,

Yes, Bugleboy1048 you will qualify for the Brotherhood of the Valve/Rotor ONLY because I also played a horizontal frenchhorn in the 1960's....Olde Pharts Brigade is another qualification needed about brewski.....I have competed in Brockway with Vern Acklin Cavliers many times....Riggie is play for his third year with Steel City Ambassadors Alumni and you can still enjoy his music....Isn't Crusaders also spliting time in Brockway???? You should go to a rehearsel and say hello to Donnie and Mike L.....

Tom,  you were more than likely judging when the Pgh corps was there...I claimed ignorance and stated that we were from another state and weren't aware of the stopping rule....We were issues a warning.....

Thanks for the replys...

John G

Yes, guys from the Brockway Lancers parade corps are also trying to get Cru up and running again. I play so I can march with my 14 yr old daughter. about Brewskis I hope we meet and we can study closely the qualifacations. :P :rolleyes: (i only do Lancers,for now,she is showing interest in compete but I don't like traveling that far) b**bs

Hey Bugleboy1048,

I have also marched with my daughter, late 1980's with Steel City Ambssadors, enjoy the sensation and the pride just seems to grow, grow, grow.....Tell Don McGonagle John from Pgh said hello and I will see "yunz" @ DCA finals if not before.....

Adios....Bye....Aye (I think I played Adios in 1967/68 but I'm not sure, my memory flashes in and out).....

John G

The FOG Grand Parade still happens every year,........The Erie Thunderbirds have wrapped up the last 8 or so seasons with this post DCA weekend event in Silvercreek that includes the Parade, a concert in the park, and a picnic at Bill Novaro's house (former Flying Dutchmen),........Cooley plays bari every year,.......and as you can imagine, many DCA weekend stories are told,............

Hey Bugleboy1048,

I have also marched with my daughter, late 1980's with Steel City Ambssadors,  enjoy the sensation and the pride just seems to grow, grow, grow.....Tell Don McGonagle  John from Pgh said hello and I will see "yunz" @ DCA finals if not before.....

Adios....Bye....Aye (I think I played Adios in 1967/68 but I'm not sure,  my memory flashes in and out).....

John G

Hey, will do when I see Don. Will you guys be at DuBois again this year? That was my daughter's first drum corps experience, and even though she got so tired she couldn't carry her bass drum back to the truck, she loved it. I couldn't march due to bad hip, but got new one in Dec. and all is rolling to a marching comeback for this old man. can't wait to march with her cause of the pride thing you mentioned. Hope to see you this summer somewhere along the trail Craig M

• 1 month later...
The FOG Grand Parade still happens every year,........The Erie Thunderbirds have wrapped up the last 8 or so seasons with this post DCA weekend event in Silvercreek that includes the Parade, a concert in the park, and a picnic at Bill Novaro's house (former Flying Dutchmen),........Cooley plays bari every year,.......and as you can imagine, many DCA weekend stories are told,............

Can't wait to do this year too. Tom and I will probably be there for the parade on our way home from our honey moon.

Yeah I guess we will cut it short to be there. <**> :P

• 2 months later...
Hey all,

A fond memory just popped into my mind that I thought I would share with the newsgroup.....1975/6 (?) some Pittsburgh locals were trying to get the Rocket back together and we had an all aged corps performance in Silvercreek for the F.O.G. that was a GREAT experience for all the new members.....Two buses;  overnight in the gym;  staff and corps performed together;  26 silks;  20 horns;  and a front line of snare drums that were in their 40's and drumming....The organizing committee were very generous with the wine (for staff members only),  we got hats with grapes on the visor part, two other New York corps were @ the parade, I can't remember who they were,  and they came running when we unloaded a bus with 26 silks for warm-ups....Almost disqualified for stopping near the judging area,  called Steve Cooley and almost sent a mini corps to play in his front yard in Dunkirk,  and really enjoyed the total experience for all the junior members within the corps.... I don't know if they still have the festival, but if you get a chance to visit the area please enjoy the  (F. O.  G.) in SilverCreek,  N.Y.

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

John:

Marched that parade with Cadets (Sharpsburg), believe it was '74!

Rocketman - I loath a parade

ampssuck