Imprint of tuba mouthpiece

corpsnewbie

It's just ugly. Since tuba mouthpieces are so big that it can cover the skin up to about half way between my nose and upper lip, an ugly imprint has formed on much of my upper lip (were my mustache would be). The print is actually that of a semi circle, cause half my mouthpiece presses on there. I imagine this happens with other brass instruments, but only the tuba mouthpiece is large enough for it to become a problem i guess <**> . This mark used to go away just a few minutes after practicing/playing in an ensemble but, recently (ever since I started hs, with my more consistent practicing) its become sort of semi permanent. And with band being my very first class each day, its tough going to school afterwards looking like someone played a practical joke and drew a circle on my face.

Does this happen to anyone else, what should i apply on my lip? I've tried ripping open a vitamin E capsule and using some of the gel inside, and Ive tried the traditional chapstick, both of those dont seem to be working very well though. Is there a certain brand of something that you guys use on tour or something that works well? anything at all?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just ugly. Since tuba mouthpieces are so big that it can cover the skin up to about half way between my nose and upper lip, an ugly imprint has formed on much of my upper lip (were my mustache would be). The print is actually that of a semi circle, cause half my mouthpiece presses on there. I imagine this happens with other brass instruments, but only the tuba mouthpiece is large enough for it to become a problem i guess <**> . This mark used to go away just a few minutes after practicing/playing in an ensemble but, recently (ever since I started hs, with my more consistent practicing) its become sort of semi permanent. And with band being my very first class each day, its tough going to school afterwards looking like someone played a practical joke and drew a circle on my face.

Does this happen to anyone else, what should i apply on my lip? I've tried ripping open a vitamin E capsule and using some of the gel inside, and Ive tried the traditional chapstick, both of those dont seem to be working very well though. Is there a certain brand of something that you guys use on tour or something that works well? anything at all?

Less pressure is my only advice. Anyone could tell you that though...

Maybe a new mouthpiece that has a softer rim so your lips feel like they are resting on a couch :P

Yeah, either use less pressure (MUCH less if that's really what's causing this). OR Maybe, just maybe the mouth piece rim is not completely silver (or gold) plated due to wear or just being old. If that's the case, the bare brass could be rubbing directly up against your face, and that will leave a greenish "ring" around where the mouthpiece touches your lips. That's called brass poisening, and it's BAD, so if the rim of your mouthpiece is not completely plated silver or gold, then that's why there's a ring around your mouth.

Indeed, I would say the problem is that you're pressing too hard. I would rely more on using a full airstream and less on mouthpiece pressure, and you should probably see that problem fade in time.

Is there a certain brand of something that you guys use on tour or something that works well? anything at all?

Although this won't necessarily fix your problem, the most popular product in the Drum Corps world is Blistex DCT. This is a very good lip balmb. You should avoid using products which contain Camfir(sp?) as this will actually cause the muscle to deteriorate.

Ah yes, too much pressure, it has ruined my embouchure. I sound used to soar above my jazz and marching bands with loud Fs and Gs. But now I can't consistently play above the staff. :(

I am primarily a trumpet player, but when I do play trombone or tuba, I will get a mark from the mouthpiece but it goes away fairly fast.

If you are getting a red mark, it could be a skin irritation from the mouthpiece.

Have you changed mouthpieces recently? Is it new or used? I know that in many high schools, the mouthpiece goes with the horn (I dont really understand why) and someone prior to you could have used it and it hasnt been cleaned good. b**bs Or they cleaned it with something you are having a reaction to. Clean it good and inspect it for any exposed brass or wear in the plating. Use a polishing rag then clean it again to remove any tarnish left behind. If there is any exposed brass or worn plating, replace it. If you havent changed pieces, how old is your current mouthpiece? Do the same as above.

Also, if you have changed mouthpieces, the current mouthpiece could also have a different rim shape that is creating the "indent" on your upper lip. Maybe you need to look into buying a new piece that has a flatter rim and more rounded edge going into the cup. (less bite) But above all else, use only enough pressure to create a seal on the rim of the mouthpiece.

Good luck, and if the girls see it and question it, tell them it is just from practicing to be a better kisser for them.

that will leave a greenish "ring" around where the mouthpiece touches your lips.  That's called brass poisening, and it's BAD, so if the rim of your mouthpiece is not completely plated silver or gold, then that's why there's a ring around your mouth.

Interesting..I wondered why that keeps happening

Good luck, and if the girls see it and question it, tell them it is just from practicing to be a better kisser for them.

^_^ What wonderful reasoning