some old corps photos

......and directly behind and in between Moose and Wilbur is current director of Capital Sound Sarah Teschke!!!!

You know what is amazing, the stick angles. In the tenors and snares only Steven's left hand is out of it, and of course the basses.

Regards,

John

Hey man, if you've got some crazy azz white man running behind you whacking you're pinky with a 3S because there's a lttle bit of daylight between your thumb and the stick or because your angle is a lttle off, pretty soon you don't do that stuff anymore!

Old School teaching methods. Kids, don't try this with your line at home, you'll get sued nowadays!

Hey, I took that picture!!!!! I was kinda busy... I was due on in 30 minutes after him.

Well, this pic is kinda lame, if you know John, you can tell it's him, but, what the pic doesn't show you is what a freekin' AWESOME solo came after the pic was snapped!

====================

:diva:

Hey man, if you've got some crazy azz white man running behind you whacking you're pinky with a 3S because there's a lttle bit of daylight between your thumb and the stick or because your angle is a lttle off, pretty soon you don't do that stuff anymore!

Old School teaching methods. Kids, don't try this with your line at home, you'll get sued nowadays!

Since I'm not crazy - yet, and running is something I refrain from doing, unless necessary, I wonder who you could be talking about? Must be memories of when Mazur filled in for me that one summer, but that was two years before the pictures were taken.

And, to your previous comment; shhh, I have a reputation for mediocraty I'm trying to protect.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

Greg Laviolet, that's it.  Let's all stay on the same year, 81. Between you and Steve, you're making me question my sanity.  :blink:  Paul marched 82.

Jim Brandt may have said that to you , but he didn't have the ability to make that kind of move. You were on snare because I wanted you on snare. Everyone in the battery was where they were supposed to be.

I wish I'd known he said that. (of course now you're going to say I was standing right there). It seems like I spent a lot of time in the fall convicing you to make the move.

In hind sight 4 tenors and 5 snares wouldn't have been bad, but I couldn't wrap my head around anything less than 6 snares at the time, clean snares.

Had you stayed on tenors, that would have been a better tenor line, but you made it a better snare line.

Andy is the missing bass. We only had three tenors 80 - 82, didn't we? He did play bass one year.

I can't see the avatar's right now, but I'm sure that's Steve Burstall you are asking about.

later,

John

There was a whole lot of politics that year. Norm kind of went off a few degrees that year. There were a lot of us that couldn't figure out why Jim was brought in, you'd been teaching us forever and it's not like he was there a whole lot. Jim was a nice guy and all but he just taught so different then you and didn't have the ability to push us into a good rehearsal the way you did. But then certain members of the snare line also seemed to forget that year who it was that got them as good as they were.

You were definately NOT standing right there. He took me aside and really laid it on as if to say "you will ruin your friends life if you stay on tenors". And, despite whatever you may have said, that was the ONLY reason I went up to snare. You have no idea what it was like dealing with the egos man. I didn't have an ego. Infact, I was the snarelines ANTIego!

And, as far as me making it a better snare line, don't you remember the "stick-throw" debacle??? Once again, different teaching techniques. There was a passage I just couldn't play. Jim told me to "throw" my stick but didn't bother to tell me what that really meant. We set up, start playing and doing the drill, up comes the passage and I pulled my hand behind my head and whipped that puppy with everything I had. That sucker cleared the front line, over the instructors heads and flew into the sawgrass. All of a sudden you jump up yelling and screaming bloody murder. Seems ol' Jimmy boy didn't bother to tell you about our little plan!

That's also the year I had to go to summer school. Which is why Paul C. was recruited. He shadowed me on the field for 2 or 3 weeks, then took my spot as I had to bow out. Now THAT made it a better snare line.

In '81 I know Andy played tenors because he took the tenor solo (puffs in Beth???) during a week I had to take off and he and I almost duked it out for the solo when I came back. He was originally on snare in '82 but quit the corps because he couldn't handle Steven whacking his sticks all the time. I tell you man, those guys were murder to play with.

What did Steve Burstall play? How old was he in '82?

And, as far as me making it a better snare line, don't you remember the "stick-throw" debacle??? Once again, different teaching techniques. There was a passage I just couldn't play. Jim told me to "throw" my stick but didn't bother to tell me what that really meant. We set up, start playing and doing the drill, up comes the passage and I pulled my hand behind my head and whipped that puppy with everything I had. That sucker cleared the front line, over the instructors heads and flew into the sawgrass. All of a sudden you jump up yelling and screaming bloody murder. Seems ol' Jimmy boy didn't bother to tell you about our little plan!

That's the funniest story though.

That's also the year I had to go to summer school. Which is why Paul C. was recruited. He shadowed me on the field for 2 or 3 weeks, then took my spot as I had to bow out. Now THAT made it a better snare line.

In '81 I know Andy played tenors because he took the tenor solo (puffs in Beth???) during a week I had to take off and he and I almost duked it out for the solo when I came back. He was originally on snare in '82 but quit the corps because he couldn't handle Steven whacking his sticks all the time. I tell you man, those guys were murder to play with.

I think you are having an old age moment. Beth was 1980. Move up a year will ya, and stay with the tour. And, Paul came along in 82.

What did Steve Burstall play? How old was he in '82?

Bari. don't know.

later,

John

'82....hmmmmm....16....

The 2nd bari from across the river.

And thanks for laugh Shawn. I don't remember that happening...darn old age. but then a lot of percussion stuff didn't make the horn line. :P

Still have nightmares about Petty going off on the interval stick from '82 and almost taking out Scott's eye. :blink:

Edited by sburstall