some old corps photos

Pictures that I took in 1987 Allentown....

Santa Clara Vanguard

This is the show that Gail compared favorably to the Chicago Royalaires of 65....

NO....These are the Maaumee Suns..soon to become the Glass City Optimist and then tyhe Glassmen...

THANKS. I couldn't remember who was red and who was white.

and "Old Ohio" out front.....

MaumeeOH1965Demons1.jpg

Man...that's a bad-azz look you had there. Don't mess.

Ahhhh.... :huh:... Old Time Drum Corps. Gotta love it!

Speaking of "Bad Azz", we may have been known as "Subtle Clara" back in the days, but, I think that the girls of '75 SCV could mix it up with the best of 'em. Just my ex-Guard Captain bias of course.

75SCVFlagline2.jpg

As JoJo so often says, those were the days when we looked "through" you, not at you.

Just found this over on Corpsreps... (and I think this might be the first pic of the corps in this thread?)

The legendary Scarlet Knights of Gurnee, IL, in 1975.

SK_drums.jpg

In the snare line, from front of pic to back are Dave Adams (aged out in PR's snare line in '78), Rich "Manson" Glannert (aged out in Cavies tenor line in '80), and Steve Marshman (quit drum corps to attend the Air Force Academy and become a fighter pilot - the wimp :P ). I'm doing the timbales thing in the middle. The DM is Lori Sloane, who switched to Guardsmen in '76 and conducted their concert number that year. Was figuring this out with a friend at the movies thing a few nights ago, and I could come up with at least 13 kids from this corps who ended up marching with DCI corps within a couple years of this shot. Out of a total membership of 50, that ain't bad. :P

Marching tambourine (!) in the back row is Matt Styx (sp?), who died next summer in a motorcycle accident. He normally carried the 22" cymbals, but knowing the shape of our equipment in those days, his cymbals were likely being worked on during the parade, driling more holes to stave off additional cracking.

I wish I'd had presence of mind to ###### one of those Rogers Dynasonic snares when the corps folded in the late 70s. Would be worth some bux on eBay now.

Edited by mobrien

Speaking of "Bad Azz", we may have been known as "Subtle Clara" back in the days, but, I think that the girls of '75 SCV could mix it up with the best of 'em. Just my ex-Guard Captain bias of course.

75SCVFlagline2.jpg

As JoJo so often says, those were the days when we looked "through" you, not at you.

Bravo! :laugh:

Bluecoats, Canton, OH @ 1981 "Key To The Sea" Championships, Toledo, OH

OHCantonBluecoats19811ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19812ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19813ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19814ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19815ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19816ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19817ToledoOH.jpg

OHCantonBluecoats19818ToledoOH.jpg

Bluecoats @ 1980 Belleville, OH

OHCantonBluecoats1980BellevilleOH.jpg