The DCI Yearlys: 1983

At this point (sorry to Robert for the crack) I think we all realize something was indeed wrong with the judging in this year.

Lets move on to some of those fantastic shows! Phantom really made me a big fan this year, with the churchbells from their town at finals in the 1812 overture. I was really moved by them... Even the uniforms seemed to match what they were doing on the field.

And I've never lost my adoration of scv.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insteadof not caring, how about staying around and supporting that corps on the field. How many shows when you march did your corps do that.

Step away from the keyboard and think about what you wrote.

When we're on last, well, there are not very many corps to see. In fact, there are zero. When we're on second to last, we were getting ready for retreat. So...staying around, as you suggest, would mean we get to watch the stadium guys driving around in golf carts turning off the stadium lights. I guess that could be entertaining, but certainly not anything we were interested in.

People march for the same reason, because they love the activity. Everyone can't make a top 12 corps.

:worthy: I typically am conscious of how others might perceive my posts and I rarely promote the successes my corps had during my time. I guess in a nutshell, I don't understand what your issue is. I saw Argonauts many times on our west coast swing, usually when we went in to the stadium prior to our performance to watch other corps and cheer them on. How many times have you seen them?

Far as I'm concerned, my statement in my earlier post was very clear with regards to what I was responding too (and as far as issues go, has long since passed). Any other agendas attached onto that..well....tough.

Edited by bd5times

1983.....(Cadets) They owned the season and similar to how 82 BD was.....

Rob - this was an excellent self evaluation. Much appreciated. But as a instructor at the time for 27th - I must totally disagree with you comparing 82 BD and 83 Cadets. Maybe I misunderstand your reference?

82 BD - in the words of my friend John "Opie" - "was a pleasure to teach." He shared what a determined and dedicated corps - selfish to the bone - street smart and no one was going to come near BD without a dog fight. Everyone else was fighting for second from the first weekend. While I know BD fought and scratched their way to the title - they were on a mission to make history. I remember standing in the back of Olympic Stadium and watching BD scorch the earth with their finals performance.

83 Cadets - IMO - didn't compare - at least from a competitive standpoint. Revolutionary - yes. Totally accepted show concept - possibly. But there show was not a guaranteed winner - they had to perform it. While I loved 83 Cadets muscially and visually - it didn't matter to me if they had won or not - they were telling me where the activity was headed.

Edited by LancerLegend

with all due respect. Everything that was talked about with this year has its ups and downs.

but.....

the Bridgemen drumline was not in the same planet as most other drumlines by the end of the season.

the Bridgemen finished 2nd in drums in prelims by .2 to the Blue devils that year.

drums is not where you want to go with your theory.

and just to make it legit I am not a drummer :P

put in the prelims part

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Obviously the Bridgemen drumline of this era was on a different planet. That's not the issue. The issue is that every other corps' score is moving up over the course of the summer except one. Why is that so hard to understand?

I've already said that all the corps' that season were terrific. My original point was that this season changed the landscape of drum corps because of the positive impact it had on the Cavaliers. And juxtaposed that impact against the Knights situation which was almost exactly the opposite.

LOL! O.P. Ony of my favorite instructors. He was a huge hit in the Blue Devils.

opii.jpg

Rob - this was an excellent self evaluation. Much appreciated. But as a instructor at the time for 27th - I must totally disagree with you comparing 82 BD and 83 Cadets. Maybe I misunderstand your reference?

My reference was in regards to it was difficult to beat Garfield in 83. From our perspective, we didn't have to be better than Garfield (we felt we were), we would've had to have crushed them which would've been difficult. They had the advantage going into finals week.

Similar to 82, we had the advantage and for anybody to take us....well....

He shared what a determined and dedicated corps - selfish to the bone - street smart and no one was going to come near BD without a dog fight. Everyone else was fighting for second from the first weekend.

O.P. was our secret weapon in 82. The things he used to say to get us fired up. I almost wrote about his sayings in the 82 thread, but figured it would really #### people off. He never said anything negative about our competitors, but the things he used to say to make us believe in our capabilities. Since you know O.P.....you probably know his ability to speak and his passion for using words.

Whenever I read posts on other threads regarding "winning isn't everything" or anything negative related to competition.....I usually think back to my time in BD. We didn't always win, but we always believed we could. A large part of that was due to John.

While I know BD fought and scratched their way to the title - they were on a mission to make history.

Like I said in the 82 thread....heaven forbid anybody put us in second place. We were beyond aggresive in our competitiveness...we were pretty obsessed with the final outcome.

Edited by bd5times

82 BD - in the words of my friend John "Opie" - "was a pleasure to teach." He shared what a determined and dedicated corps - selfish to the bone - street smart and no one was going to come near BD without a dog fight. Everyone else was fighting for second from the first weekend. While I know BD fought and scratched their way to the title - they were on a mission to make history. I remember standing in the back of Olympic Stadium and watching BD scorch the earth with their finals performance.

83 Cadets - IMO - didn't compare - at least from a competitive standpoint. Revolutionary - yes. Totally accepted show concept - possibly. But there show was not a guaranteed winner - they had to perform it. While I loved 83 Cadets  muscially and visually - it didn't matter to me if they had won or not - they were telling me where the activity was headed.

The 1983 Garfield Cadets dominated the competition and was undefeated the entire summer right up to prelims where they tied with BD for 2nd...I fali to see how the 2 corps don't compare on a competitive level???

The MAIN difference between the Garfield Cadets and the Blue Devils of that period is that Garfield had a different philosophical approach to competition. The Cadets did not take the field to beat or "bodyslam" another drum corps. The only competition for Garfield was.....Garfield. The goal was to be the best drum corps they could possibly be and to be most concerned about that which was within their own control.

Were there harsh words and taunting that summer.....yes, there was. BUT, it didn't come from the guys wearing maroon...... :sshh:

Were there harsh words and taunting that summer.....yes, there was. BUT, it didn't come from the guys wearing maroon...... shutup.gif

:worthy:

Edited by bd5times

George please don't misconstrue my commentary. I loved 83 Cadets - I loved every aspect of their show as I mentioned. The diff for me was that 82 BD's show was designed - IMO - to scare you, to intimidate you and to make sure everyone else was 2nd.

The 83 Cadets offered up a sampling for the audience to enjoy from Rocky Point to the Mass. You did not have to be intimidated to realize that Cadets were simply the best corps - but - their show did have to be performed well to make it work visually.

LOL!  O.P.  Ony of my favorite instructors.  He was a huge hit in the Blue Devils.

opii.jpg

O.P.  was our secret weapon in 82.  The things he used to say to get us fired up.  I almost wrote about his sayings in the 82 thread, but figured it would really #### people off.  He never said anything negative about our competitors, but the things he used to say to make us believe in our capabilities.  Since you know O.P.....you probably know his ability to speak and his passion for using words......

OMG Bob - another JO disciple !!!! Are we talking about the same guy? A secret weapon for BD? Oh please - stop feeding his ego. It's been 23 years.

He was my drum major in 1977 with 27th, and I made him earn his stripes. At the time, I was not pleased an "outsider" was brought in to be our DM. He never wavered, and during the season, earned our respect. And over the years, I have apoligized to him for busting his chops. I usually see him in Allentown, and always try to be on my best (and sober) behavior. Truthfully, his best quality these days is wife Debbie.

At the time, I was not pleased an "outsider" was brought in to be our DM. He never wavered, and during the season, earned our respect.

Oh.....we busted his chops when he showed up in Concord as well. Particularly when he mentioned he was a clarinet playing former DM from Two Seven who taught Garfield.