What happened to '74 27th

I mean they were 7th in '73, 20th in '74 , and 4th in '75. Has a corps ever dropped and rebounded that fast? What made '74 so special? Has any other corps went up 16 places in one year?

A very large turnover in members. The '74 corps was made up of mostly very young and inexperienced kids. The staff had a big turnover as well in both '74 and '75. The '75 staff really clicked and included some very experienced people such as Joe Marrella and Ralph Pace, of course Wedge was always there.

The '74 show, while it had some nice moments, was not a top 12 offering.

Has anyone else risen 16 places in one season? Don't know...reply hazy...ask again later.

What he said....and from my persepective, we were offering the wrong show at the wrong time. Staff always seemed cohesive, corps was tight - every one got along - nothing devisive. It just seemed that the harder we tried - and the more we adjusted our show for various judges - the worse of we were. We changed parts and drill almost daily to try an improve on our execution scores, since our GE seemed to be doomed. I remember getting the 74 DCI albums, and like mnay other kids, I tried to "bang" out my tenor show. I had lapses in memory - I simply could not remember which version to play. Things like that. With gratitude to the vets (like drmr27), the youngins' never lost hope or faith in what we were trying to do.

The only corps I know to jump 15 spots was BD. In 1973 I believe they were 24th in prelims and in 1974 they rose to 9th in finals.

The only corps I know to jump 15 spots was BD. In 1973 I believe they were 24th in prelims and in 1974 they rose to 9th in finals.

Large jumps year to year was discussed on another thread somewhere.

Spirit of Atlanta jumped from 22nd in 1977 to 6th in 1978 which I thought was the record but someone else (can't remember, maybe the Guardsmen?) had an even bigger jump year to year.

It's not a coincidence that Jim Ott came to each of these corps in a full time capacity the year they made their big jumps in placement

Large jumps year to year was discussed on another thread somewhere.

Spirit of Atlanta jumped from 22nd in 1977 to 6th in 1978 which I thought was the record but someone else (can't remember, maybe the Guardsmen?) had an even bigger jump year to year.

It's not a coincidence that Jim Ott came to each of these corps in a full time capacity the year they made their big jumps in placement

Good memory Russell!

Guardsmen went from 31st in 1975 to 12th in 1976 - representing the biggest year over year jump in placement ever.

Still, 2-7's accomplishment was perhaps even more impressive when you consider the rebound. In both Spirit and Guardsmen cases, the corps were trending upwards.

27 always had a good hornline  but  drumline kicked-###,prior74 aft80 hornline ruled

royal airs ,bridgmen,madison ,scv 27TH?  bring back the best ?????NO BALLS 27th  DRUMLINE???? i"m waiting!!@!!!

Not sure what your point is, or what kind of response you are looking for from either drmr27 or me?

royal airs ,bridgmen,madison ,scv 27TH?  bring back the best ?????NO BALLS 27th  DRUMLINE???? i"m waiting!!@!!!

?

Care to elaborate?

?

Good memory Russell!

Guardsmen went from 31st in 1975 to 12th in 1976 - representing the biggest year over year jump in placement ever.

Still, 2-7's accomplishment was perhaps even more impressive when you consider the rebound. In both Spirit and Guardsmen cases, the corps were trending upwards.

As well as Spirit & Guardsmen, some have apparently forgotten the Bridgemen's

jump in 1976.

1972----11th, 1973---9th, 1974 ---26th

1975 ---ugh----struggling all year to score 65. may have finished in 30-something place had they elected to compete in 75. Spectators only that year.

1976 ----6th place.----A bigger year over year jump than any corps ever before, or since.

Tom K. a 20th & 21st Century Bridgemen !!!