Old Horn Charts

JimF-LowBari

During lunch at work I check out the old bugles for sale on eBay as a way to see our activities past. Even bought a one valve Bari a while back when I had the extra $$$.

But during my DC skulking on eBay I never have noticed horn scores for sale. There have been old books on how to play bugle and bugle solos but not scores from any era. Wondering if anyone knows if any old charts still exist and how to see them.

Thanks in advance......

But during my DC skulking on eBay I never have noticed horn scores for sale. There have been old books on how to play bugle and bugle solos but not scores from any era. Wondering if anyone knows if any old charts still exist and how to see them.

This is most likely a matter of legality. I have loads of old scores, but I'm not going to attempt to sell them, because someone else wrote them. It's not an issue of plagiary, but one of copyright. The people who arrange or write for drum corps are doing so either as their living or to supplement their income. Now...what do you think they'd do if drum corps joe tries to sell a copy of one of their scores?

Now, trading is something altogether different....

Yeah, never thought of it that way. I was thinking of charts from the single valve or earlier era (50s or before). Heavens knows if someone thinks they can make a buck by sueing my butt over a 50+ year old chart, they would try it.

Sigh.... Fear of lawsuits. Also the biggest reason why some corps shows are lost forever. (Thinking of shows that were never professional recorded but someone did a "home made" copy at a show or practice. Made a few of these of some small corps in the 70s and finally decided to burn them to a CD for ex-members of these corps. Gave 'em away (even paid for the postage) and I'm still waiting for a lawyer to call.)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• 1 month later...

Reread the History of DC and see where I screwed up my original post.

From the beginning of modern Drum Corps after WWI until ????? corps did not have music arrangers. Instead they could buy pre-written charts from (I think) the bugle and drum manufacturers. The song arrangements came in a book form and there were a lot of songs to a book (again I think). This was the era of short songs and shows with 12 or more songs in them. Looks like I need to change my googling and ebay search criteria to find these babies if they still exist.

Anyone have any info on these kind of charts? Wonder when use of these books were stopped being used.