Phoenix: Set the record straight

Did you say all PHOENIX vets were invited ? I guess some things never change. Also the name was given to the corps by Les Johnson at the first meeting at Polish Club on Hudson Ave. in Rochester N.Y. and that meeting came about after alot of us from the 1972 Crusaders quit after Bill McGrath Jr. was replaced as drum instructor. The McGrath family and the Martin family with help from great people like Curt Anderson, and talent like DA, BILL JR. and TOM McGRATH and all the MARTIN brothers, BARGY and SMITTY and so many other great players made drum corps history in 1975 at prelims in Rochester N.Y. when they knocked EVERYONE in DCA on there ### with what I belive to this day was one of the greatest shows ever in prelims. PHOENIX placed 4rth because the judges didn't have courage to give them first seed they deserved.

• 2 weeks later...
Also the name was given to the corps by Les Johnson at the first meeting at Polish Club on Hudson Ave. in Rochester N.Y. and that meeting came about after alot of us from the 1972 Crusaders quit after Bill McGrath Jr. was replaced as drum instructor.

I was at that meeting and that's how I remember it. Bill Sr. asked for suggestions for names, and I think Les is the one who suggested the name Phoenix and he explained why. I recall taking a vote on 3 or 4 names and Phoenix won.

so much for the horses mouth, or is it the horses behind?

Funny what 30 years and a lot of dru.. er beer can do to the memory :laugh:

How about the guy that was telling people that he was the drum major for Phoenix in 1975. I asked him if he was Eddie, Corky or Jack Daley. I have watched the video a number of times and do not see this guy anywhere in sight.

Then he was telling people that he was the soloist from Phoenix...and his name was Donny Allen...

I walked up to him and told him that I was Donny Allen.

WTF!!!!

Donny

How about the guy that was telling people that he was the drum major for Phoenix in 1975. I asked him if he was Eddie, Corky or Jack Daley. I have watched the video a number of times and do not see this guy anywhere in sight.

Then he was telling people that he was the soloist from Phoenix...and his name was Donny Allen...

I walked up to him and told him that I was Donny Allen.

WTF!!!!

Donny

Who was this, Jimmy Vlaovich???