Contra Mouthpieces / Tips

kevingamin

I switched to contrabass at this past weekend's North Coast Rock rehearsal and found that I'm actually pretty good at it. I'd like to get a tuba mouthpiece of my own so I can at least work on my playing in my apartment and in the car. I normally play in a Shilke 50 or 51D when playing on baritone and a Shilke 51B when on euphonium.

Also, what exercises would you suggest for me to build up air support. I can get a great tone on the horn but sustaining is a problem. I'd also like to know what physical exercises can help build arm, shoulder, and back strength so I can lift the horn off the ground properly and hold it at attention without dying. I don't have the horn with me so I can't use it to build up endurance, will see about getting the horn at the next rehearsal or board meeting.

A good mouthpiece for you will probably be either the Conn Helleberg or the Kelly equivalent. A lot of mouthpiece buzzing is a good way to start building embouchere strength; I'd recommend the Bai Lin lip slur exercise book for a good range of slurring exercises. For air support, these exercises are a good way to build up support over time.

Other than just holding the horn up, a good way is just to find something small with some weight (doesn't have to be much, just like ten pounds) and hold it out away from you in front and to the side. Push-ups don't hurt, either ;)

helleberg if you playing a 4/4 contra I think the best thing is just playing the horn every day .. and playing into a wall so you can hear your attacks

as for the horn start lifting and doing push ups with your hands in different positions

51D has a round rim.

You want a 66 which was designed from the Hellenberg, or maybe a 67.

As far as exercises, you want lean muscle endurence not strength.