The DCI Yearlys: 1986

I have NEVER demeaned another corps...in ANY of my statements..

I understand where you're coming from, and you're right; you never said anything deliberately demeaning about anyone else. But here's the problem: It automatically demeans other corps, by default. You can't say you deserved a finalist spot and were robbed of one, and then not understand that the implication there is that any corps who did get in finals past you must not have deserved to get in. You never explicitly stated that, but by saying that 27th Lancers were robbed, you have to understand that even without saying it, that's the implication others are left with.

It's not just you, Steph. And it's not just that year for 27th Lancers. My point--and this thread brought it to a head--is that this is the case anytime we get into this debate over corps being robbed of this or that. Like it or not, it automatically demeans those other corps who got in ahead of the "robbed" corps.

You may not see it that way, but more and more, as time goes by, I see and hear these discussions, and that's what comes to mind. Even about my own corps and much of the heartbreak that I remember us going through in competition. So I tend to be very careful with what opinions I express, and how I express them.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we can judge Troopers finals performance against 27th's semifinals performance (that's the one where you were both on the field and in the stands at the same time).  You are just running in circles to prove your point, aren't you?

And girl, don't make me throw you under the bus.  You have constantly gripped about 1980 too.

One last thing and I'm done, you're just being a smarty pants. You asked if I was there and I said I was, I saw them perform in finals FROM the Stands. I was in semifinals. I don't know why you are attacking me about this.

I haven't constantly gripped about 1980, everybody talks about their own experiences with their own corps. I have merely made observations about 1980.

Take your anger out on someone else...

Edited by Lancerlady

I understand where you're coming from, and you're right; you never said anything deliberately demeaning about anyone else. But here's the problem: It automatically demeans other corps, by default. You can't say you deserved a finalist spot and were robbed of one, and then not understand that the implication there is that any corps who did get in finals past you must not have deserved to get in. You never explicitly stated that, but by saying that 27th Lancers were robbed, you have to understand that even without saying it, that's the implication others are left with.

It's not just you, Steph. And it's not just that year for 27th Lancers. My point--and this thread brought it to a head--is that this is the case anytime we get into this debate over corps being robbed of this or that. Like it or not, it automatically demeans those other corps who got in ahead of the "robbed" corps.

You may not see it that way, but more and more, as time goes by, I see and hear these discussions, and that's what comes to mind. Even about my own corps and much of the heartbreak that I remember us going through in competition. So I tend to be very careful with what opinions I express, and how I express them.

If you go back and read my first post I made it a point of saying that it wasn't implying anything against any other corps or trying to take anything away...

Like I said...I'm done..I'm tired of being badgered about my personal feelings on the matter...I wondered why I hadn't been coming on here much. Now I am beginning to see more and more every day. ###### if you do and ###### if you don't.

If you talk about your corps your living in the past or whatever but EVERYBODY talks about their own corps...so I used to like to come to this forum cause their was much more respect and admiration but now it's turned to #### too..Disappointing you can't speak your personal feelings without getting persecuted. <**>

Edited by Lancerlady

One last thing and I'm done, you're just being a smarty pants. You asked if I was there and I said I was, I saw them perform in finals FROM the Stands. I was in semifinals. I don't know why you are attacking me about this.

I haven't constantly gripped about 1980, everybody talks about their own experiences with their own corps. I have merely made observations about 1980.

Take your anger out on someone else...

Ok, the time has come to throw you under the bus. No, you weren't there in 1986. The performance order of Semifinals, for the corps that placed around you was:

13. Les Eclipses

14. Sky Ryders

17. Phantom Regiment

18. Troopers

20. Velvet Knights

23. 27th Lancers

You were on after everyone one of those corps, and therefore no one in 27 saw any of these corps perform during semifinals. Furthermore, you were likely not even at the stadium until the time VK went on, so in all likelihood not many of your staff saw these other corps. they were all on earlier than you and they all (minus Eclipses) beat you. You had the performance order advantage also. So, you have no basis to claim you were screwed. Sorry, you don't have the knowledge to make such a claim either, unless you are indeed a wonder judge.

I am attacking you because people like you #### me off. In a way I understand because we all have been there, but in a way I don't understand because it's called growing and learning to accept things. ####, I remember leaving the field in 1989 thinking finals should have went:

1. Santa Clara

2. Cavies

3. Cadets

4. Madison

5. Phantom

6. Blue Devils

7. Star

Of course, I didn't see myself perform (unlike you, I cannot do that) and I did not see Star (on right after us) or Santa Clara (lining up for retreat). Now, when I watch the DVD's I chuckle at myself, because not only do I think we definitely deserved 7th place, I wonder how we ever beat Star in Quarterfinals and how we beat Star in Visual Performance. For years I believed that the Scouts were being screwed and Santa Clara was being screwed (any time they didn't win). I've grown and I've realized that I'm not qualified to judge. Neither are you or those countless other people you claim support your 1986 theory.

Edited by gellio

I am done with this, excuse the #### out of me. I told y'all in the beginning that I based it on my feelings and knowledge I got over the years from certain people involved directly. And as far as the "taking anything away" Velvet Knights were in 11th at first and Troopers were 12th in prelims then Troopers went up and beat VK, if my memory serves me right.

So...I never said I was angry at VK or the Troopers and I have never implied that they shouldn't have been in finals either. I stated in my original post that this was not to take anything away from those who were in finals! HELLO!

So move on to something else and quit badgering me about MY personal feelings and knowledge about this. I have NEVER demeaned another corps...in ANY of my statements..YOU others have though with your assumptions of what I am trying to imply.

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

Aww Steph, dont let ol' Elliot put you in a tizzy, he thinks HE is always right too :sshh:

He is still stewing over the fact that HIS DCI title is one of the most controversial in history, considering there are so many that thought not only one corps was better that night, but TWO might have been scored lower than they should have....right Elliot b**bs b**bs :blink::huh: :P ^0^

~G~

Ok, the time has come to throw you under the bus.  No, you weren't there in 1986.  The performance order of Semifinals, for the corps that placed around you was:

13. Les Eclipses

14. Sky Ryders

17. Phantom Regiment

18. Troopers

20. Velvet Knights

23. 27th Lancers

You were on after everyone one of those corps, and therefore no one in 27 saw any of these corps perform during semifinals.  Furthermore, you were likely not even at the stadium until the time VK went on, so in all likelihood not many of your staff saw these other corps.  they were all on earlier than you and they all (minus Eclipses) beat you.  You had the performance order advantage also.  So, you have no basis to claim you were screwed.  Sorry, you don't have the knowledge to make such a claim either, unless you are indeed a wonder judge.

I am attacking you because people like you #### me off.  In a way I understand because we all have been there, but in a way I don't understand because it's called growing and learning to accept things.  ####, I remember leaving the field in 1989 thinking finals should have went:

1. Santa Clara

2. Cavies

3. Cadets

4. Madison

5. Phantom

6. Blue Devils

7. Star

Of course, I didn't see myself perform (unlike you, I cannot do that) and I did not see Star (on right after us) or Santa Clara (lining up for retreat).  Now, when I watch the DVD's I chuckle at myself, because not only do I think we definitely deserved 7th place, I wonder how we ever beat Star in Quarterfinals and how we beat Star in Visual Performance.  For years I believed that the Scouts were being screwed and Santa Clara was being screwed (any time they didn't win).  I've grown and I've realized that I'm not qualified to judge.  Neither are you or those countless other people you claim support your 1986 theory.

Stop this now. If you are in a bad mood take it out on someone else. I don't know why you are trying to spin this now to THIS. People like you #### ME off really bad, I was there look at my avatar. I SAID I saw them perform in finals! I am talking about the Troopers and VK and others...I was THERE then. WATCHING From the stands.

It's not necessarily about being qualified to judge, I STATED my PERSONAL feelings, last time I open up to you people...sheesh I'm out.

Edited by Lancerlady

Ok, the time has come to throw you under the bus.  No, you weren't there in 1986.  The performance order of Semifinals, for the corps that placed around you was:

13. Les Eclipses

14. Sky Ryders

17. Phantom Regiment

18. Troopers

20. Velvet Knights

23. 27th Lancers

You were on after everyone one of those corps, and therefore no one in 27 saw any of these corps perform during semifinals.  Furthermore, you were likely not even at the stadium until the time VK went on, so in all likelihood not many of your staff saw these other corps.  they were all on earlier than you and they all (minus Eclipses) beat you.  You had the performance order advantage also.  So, you have no basis to claim you were screwed.  Sorry, you don't have the knowledge to make such a claim either, unless you are indeed a wonder judge.

I am attacking you because people like you #### me off.  In a way I understand because we all have been there, but in a way I don't understand because it's called growing and learning to accept things.  ####, I remember leaving the field in 1989 thinking finals should have went:

1. Santa Clara

2. Cavies

3. Cadets

4. Madison

5. Phantom

6. Blue Devils

7. Star

Of course, I didn't see myself perform (unlike you, I cannot do that) and I did not see Star (on right after us) or Santa Clara (lining up for retreat).  Now, when I watch the DVD's I chuckle at myself, because not only do I think we definitely deserved 7th place, I wonder how we ever beat Star in Quarterfinals and how we beat Star in Visual Performance.  For years I believed that the Scouts were being screwed and Santa Clara was being screwed (any time they didn't win).  I've grown and I've realized that I'm not qualified to judge.  Neither are you or those countless other people you claim support your 1986 theory.

Elliot, just because you choose to belittle her or add "drama" to your response doesnt make your opinion more valid then hers. YOU are not part of her organization, dont know what they were told, what they went through and the rest of the specifics. Stephanie has just as much right to say what she wants as you do, see..the irony, you think YOU are right, hence making your opinions more valid ie: carrying more weight than hers becuase that is hwat YOU want to believe.

The fact is 27th came in thriteenth, the fact is politics exist in drum corps, the fact is there are living humans that DO know stories, wether you believe or validate them wont change the truth or the fact......if anything, YOU should lighten up and gett off her back, you are attacking her where she is just offering her opinions, based on WHAT she knows as fact.......lighten up dude, you are not looking very nice right about now.

~G

13. Les Eclipses

14. Sky Ryders

17. Phantom Regiment

18. Troopers

20. Velvet Knights

23. 27th Lancers

1. Santa Clara

2. Cavies

3. Cadets

4. Madison

5. Phantom

6. Blue Devils

7. Star

WELL SAID============ BRAVO