Dear Freelancer Alum!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark Terry....."Mumbles." How about Roy Eldridge? Cat Anderson? Doc Cheatham? Arturo Sandoval? Wayne Bergeron? Conte Candoli? Uncle Jack Sheldon?

Find a video copy of "Sass and Brass," Ella and a bunch of trpt. players, Freddy Hubbard, Jon Faddis (I think), some heavy guys...and Al Hirt. I though Hirt would fold but he blew away the other guys! Took 'em to school.

RON HOUSLEY

Old school.

Clark Terry....."Mumbles."  How about Roy Eldridge?  Cat Anderson?  Doc Cheatham?  Arturo Sandoval?  Wayne Bergeron? Conte Candoli? Uncle Jack Sheldon? 

Find a video copy of "Sass and Brass,"  Ella and a bunch of trpt. players,  Freddy Hubbard, Jon Faddis (I think), some heavy guys...and Al Hirt.  I though Hirt would fold but he blew away the other guys!  Took 'em to school.

RON HOUSLEY

Old school.

Or two of my favs... Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan ( pick up Blue Train... He takes Coltrane to school on it)

I saw Clark Terry this past December in Pitt. He's half-blind, in a wheel chair most of the time and he still played his ### off. He was a guest artist performing with Monte Alexander's trio. After the concert he signed autographs from his wheelchair until the last person had gone. Truly a great American artist and human being.

Clark Terry....."Mumbles."  How about Roy Eldridge?  Cat Anderson?  Doc Cheatham?  Arturo Sandoval?  Wayne Bergeron? Conte Candoli? Uncle Jack Sheldon? 

Find a video copy of "Sass and Brass,"  Ella and a bunch of trpt. players,  Freddy Hubbard, Jon Faddis (I think), some heavy guys...and Al Hirt.  I though Hirt would fold but he blew away the other guys!  Took 'em to school.

RON HOUSLEY

Old school.

Reminds me a little of the Santa Barbara Jazz Festival back in 1981 at the heighth of my fancraziness for Maynard--and they have a "trumpet summit" featuring Maynard, Chet "Drugged Out and Could Barely Stand" Baker, Clark Terry, Jack Sheldon, and this young kid who ALMOST schooled Maynard on the essence of playing high...maybe you heard of him...Al Vizzutti. It was cool when they had a jam session at the end, all the players were standing up in a line, and trading solos and what not...Maynard on one end, Al down on the other end...and Al just fricken went to town. Screaming...BEAUTIFUL sound and great technique...and Maynard leaned forward and looked down the line with a "holy crap" look on his face, and then preceded to lay the "old school smack down"...the crowd went nuts. And I was on the first row of this thing having the time of my life in my post 10th grade summer....

Reminds me a little of the Santa Barbara Jazz Festival back in 1981 at the heighth of my fancraziness for Maynard--and they have a "trumpet summit" featuring Maynard, Chet "Drugged Out and Could Barely Stand" Baker,

OMG you have just resurfaced an old memory...doing lines with Chet Baker after seeing him perform in Cupertino right about 81. I have since reformed and no longer do the white powder, but what a fun time we had in the day!

VK beats us at one particular show and the drum major pulls out this E.T. doll (note our opener was the soundtrack from E.T.) and starts beating it senselessly with this tiny little itty bitty stick. OH MY GOSH!!!! Even WE lost it as we were standing out on the field during retreat (which didn't happen very oftern) it was so funny.

MAN THAT WAS A FUN TIME!!

2 corps couldn't have come closer to throw blows than the 89 VK-Flee Ranchers (I'm man Freelancers).

But that was on the field, we had a BLAST with the Freelancers on our free day in Montreal.

Can anyone say "Beer Gardens".