Dear Freelancer Alum!

10 years have passed since I aged out of drum corps. Since that time I have been extremely active in music as a professional trumpet player (nearly full time) with part time opportunities to also teach in the field of music. While this type of career has even afforded me opportuinies similar to Drum Corps such as performing in Disney's Magic Kingdom Korps, 9 short months in the Anaheim cast of the show "Blast" and almost continuous work as staff for high school marching bands, my years of corps have actually long past. Nevertheless, I often recieve phone calls and emails from people I know who happen to stumble across some message forum where I am the topic of conversation. I am always amused by what I read and often very entertained by it. Usually I laugh a little and then forget where the link for the site even was.

However, this week was quite different. Last Thursday I was in a recording session when a trombone player said "Scott I have somthing you have to read. It's about your years in Drum Corps". OK I said, send me the link when you get your laptop hooked up and I will check it out. Of course, "Drum Corps Planet" popped up (as I could have predicted). I grinned as I read an archive of an old post about "soprano soloists" wondering what I might run accross. My name pops up once, no big deal. I read some more, pops up again. I read some more, my name comes up again with just a slight touch of harmless mis-information...

Actually, the conflict came after he had left and joined BD.

A couple of more posts came up. One of them was actually somewhat defensive on my behalf...

My understanding with Scott (as he and I were always pretty tight, although I haven't talked to him in about 7 years now) was that there were other issues that caused him to make that last minute switch, but I'll leave that to discussion off of the board.

Thank you Clint for actually rising above the trash talk and posting tactfully.

Another one that was just plain silly...

Say what you will, but i believe the main reason he didn't march in 94 was karma. He kinda screwed us in 93, so it was only fitting in my opinion that he missed out on the only chance he had at a ring. He was a good friend at one time and a GREAT soloist, there is no doubt about that. I just wish he had spoken to some of his friends a bit before making such a decision. Oh well. Live and learn.

Allow me to respond to that one by saying...I'm glad you have my life all figured out, I don't know what I would have done otherwise. :blink:

And finally the one that broke the camels back containing subtle but obvious defamation of my character, a few comments that were undoubtably slander and most of the rest just plain offensive.

As far as Scott Steward goes, I held his hand from day 1 in the Freelancers. He had certain quirks that either endeared you to him or annoyed the livin' crud outta ya. For me they were endearing quirks - which left me continually defending him. Besides the fact that he was about to be a freshman in my alma mater after I graduated, it was not hard for us to develop a friendship. He ended up marching 4 years with me in the Freelancers, during which time it SEEMED he had immeasurable love for the corps.

It was with no small amount of shock that I found out what he did in '93. I'm one of those types who believes if you don't march in your hometown corps you shouldn't march at all... And to make matters worse, he went to the corps that I despised the most. So the next time I saw Scott at Sac State playing in their jazz band I asked for his patches. He went on about how he had grown OUT of the Freelancers and had set his sights higher... I said woop for you now gimme your patches.

In '95 at Concord's home show I was even upset enough with seeing him in a Concord uniform to go to the front rails of the stands at DVC and scream at him for his patches again...

I'm sorry if this all seems like WTMI, but in anything I do that requires comraderie, emotional fusion, and complete trust in others in my environment, I will always consider what Scott did to be an act of betrayal, ESPECIALLY when it involves a "grass is greener" scenario.

So yes, Scott was an incredible soloist who had potential spewing out of every orifice from the time I met him at age 13, and he ended up making remarkable contribution to drum corps during his marching career (enough to be brought up on this thread!), and I wish he hadn't done what he had done, but I can only hope it worked out for him the way he envisioned...

Maybe this post belonged on some type of "Corps Loyalty" thread... my apologies...

Frusterated, I wanted to respond instantly but could not because it was an archived read only thread. So this is the best I could do is start my own thread on the subject.

I already responded to the last poster via email and offer my apologies to him for being so rude on that message. John R. I apologize to you NOW for that.

Here is my official response to everyone involved in said discussion. What happened- happened over 10 years ago. GET OVER IT ALREADY! Times have changed. I have changed and probably the rest of you have changed also. If you want to discuss past stories of your drum corps days thats fine but know that there is a line. It's never right to run someone's name through the mud with things not nessesary to even the topic (i.e. "Scott has certain quirks" and light statements about my "trustorthieness" just for starters). Excuse me? What does any of that have to do with the subject of "screemin solos" anyway? If you have a problem with me or anything I did 12-13 years ago (rolls eyes) then take it up with me privately please instead of writing an expose' on me on a public forum. Furthermore, the fact that some of you obviously still have a huge chip on your shoulder over what I did in 93 is rather disturbing.

First of all, nobody except for two people- John Zimney and myself know the whole story on the situation surrounding 1993. He and I are the only ones who know the whole scoop. THAT IS A FACT!. And though I know what I did had an effect on many others in 93, the whole thing was really between him and I. And the bigger thing to consider is that he and I have since resolved the matter and in fact now once again have a healthy friendship that has included hanging out on numerous occasions, semi-regular social/recreational phone calls and even a time where I helped him get to an airport. Heck, he even stood on the front sideline at the DCI Preview of Champions in 1995 CHEERFULLY in support of me as I took the field for victory concert with the Blue Devils (quite different from John R. who apparently also had a sidline experience with me in a 95 performance in a NOT so supportive manner). Bottom line is the whole thing is over and long since resolved. Therefore, there is no reason for any of you to still have such a malicious grudge against me especially when the one who this effected the most (along with me) no longer has one.

Now that I have had my own turn for a soap box, may we carry on with our memories of drum corps in a much more edifying manner? I HOPE that I may even be able to rekindle a few friendships if my somewhat flame of a post has not in fact pushed some of you further against me. Hopefully though, we are all adult enough to not have a round two of such a situation. I really don't want any sour grapes and untimately, I want all discussion of my 93 scenario to once and for all desist. Believe me, I have heard a belly full of it over the years. Never is there time when I run accross a former Freelancer (whether someone I marched with or not) where the subject does not come up. It's been run into the ground way too hard for me at this point. And I have heard some of the dandiest versions of the story too. One guy asked me if "I was badly hurt during the brawl at my house between John and Paul Zimny and Charlie Anderson". By gosh if you have actually drained your mind enough to have to come up with a hoax story such as that you need help. Seriously folks. Let's move on. I would love to get to know some of you again and walk down memory lane. Let's just leave this story out of the mix. It's been beat as a dead horse so long the skeleton is not even recognizable.

Hope you are all well,

Scott Steward

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing. As for my "karma" causing me not to march in 94 (please), the issue of 94 is another "favorite Scott Steward topics" that has become a runaway truck. Allow me to share my personal feelings on this subject to put to rest any speculations that I have a life long mourning for my "long lost ring".

I DO have regrets for not marching in the Blue Devils in 94. But let me make one thing very clear, it has nothing to do with not getting a ring. I really don't and never have cared at all about that. I regret it for one simple reason and that is 1994 Blue Devils is one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time (next to 1988 Blue Devils and 1983 Blue Devils- yes I happen to prefer 83 over 82). I would have loved to have marched that show but am glad to know that Rollan, Tim Meehan and Nate got to tear that sop book up (and they did every time I saw it). Honestly, I would regret missing that year even if they took 14th with it. It was just flat out a dream show. I would also add that I would have liked to be able to say I was among the first to wear the new uniform.

But hey, I had 2 great years with the Blue Devils taking 2 horn titles, a 3rd and a 5th place in idividuals and a victory jacket for a latin jazz ensemble in 1995. Not to mention 5 years in the Freelancers each of which carry many great memories. Yes, I REALLY do look back at my Freelancer days as an honorable opportunity. Suffice it to say, I had a successfull drum corps career that I will always enjoy looking back on.

Edited by torn8o

Wow ha?

Welcome to DCP, sorry it was under circumstances where you weren't here to defend yourself. I'm glad you are now!

Being so talented does have it's drawbacks?

How does giving back patches for previous years work work? Amazing isn't it? Or are these patches of anyother sort? I'm thrilled I didn't see the original thread on this.

You don't have to answer I just wanted to Welcome You!

:o :blink:

Edited by LancerFi

Yeah, really....how does giving your patch that YOU deserved settle things???

Oh well, like you said, it's a dead horse beaten so many times that the skeleton isn't recognizable.

Welcome to the planet!

I'm reading some of the quoted text and realizing how easy it would be for those of us who "stayed behind" to spew similar criticisms at folks who left for other Top 12 or even championship corps . . . yet it's amazing how rarely that occurs. I think that's because most of us recognize that those of us who march in competitive drum corps maintain a pretty fine balance between loyalty and that competitive spirit. For some folks, the drive to be in the most competitive unit they can find is what's best for them. For others, to stay with the corps that "brung" you is the most important thing. But it doesn't mean one personality trait is better than another; they're just different. And different personalities are what make up drum corps.

It's too bad the folks who leave make such easy targets. I, myself, had to leave a "hometown" corps into which I was accepted, during my last year of eligibility, in order to be loyal to the Canadian corps that brung me. So loyalty comes in all shapes and sizes, and if it weren't for people willing to travel to the corps of their choice, many corps--including my own--would've folded long before they did.

So, welcome to DCP, Scott. I'm sorry you came to this place on such a difficult note, but hopefully it will be better from here on out!

Excellent "defense" by Scott. I think I know you by the way, but I may be mistaken. In any event, I stayed my 3 years with VK even though I was VERY much wooed to go to SCV. And while I don't regret my decision as my 3 years of VK helped to make me who I am today (and that ain't much let me tell ya!), sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had actually listened to Gordon Henderson's invitation instead of being the stubborn know-it-all teenager that I was.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh--it's all in the past.

Well said stuff there Scott--and welcome to the Planet.

Thanks for the support guys. Ryan, yes we DO know each other. I was Chino's brass instructor 98-2001 and also for Loara and Cerritos 2000-2001. We talked at band shows several times. I'm now in Nashvegas TN working in the studio and road touring music scene and doing brass instruction for a couple of good local BOA programs. Great to hear from you again. Take care.

Scott

As for the "patches" issue. John R. tried to bully me into ripping the year patches off of my jacket (both Freelancer year patches and DCI finals Patches) because he felt I did not deserve to have them for "betraying my corps". I think he even asked for the jacket at one point also.

Great response, Scott. I have had similar experiences (being called a "traitor, "ring chaser" etc) base don my decision to leave Suncoast and join the Blue Devils.

While 90% of the people that were jerks about it at the time don't care anymore, there are still a few Suncoast slumni to this day that won't even talk to me. I guess four years there meant nothing...

Thankfully, my exit was not quite as explosive as yours....

John and Scott, I'm reading your recollections and some of the things people have said to you, and I am feeling a bit guilty. Confession time: I did used to have some . . . uh, the polite way to say this, I guess, is negative feelings about people who left Oakland for greener pastures. The obvious reason is because I could see what it did to my corps: Many of the most talented members left for other corps, thus diminishing our own ability to remain competitive. And, not only that, but to survive.

And I guess I used to think everyone in Oakland felt the same way I did. But then other folks in Oakland said they understood the reasons behind other individuals' decisions to leave for other corps. It all gets back to that competitive spirit, and wanting to compete in the corps that best suits your talents. Many people couldn't find that in Oakland because, by the time I marched, the corps was in big financial trouble, and it was getting worse by the year. Naturally, that manifested itself in what programs we could afford to field, staff we could "hire" (I use that term loosely, because I'm not sure how many of them were actually paid), etc. And then, of course, the corps members see what's happening and want to have that Top 12 experience, or that championship experience, so they go to a corps that they hope can provide that. That's the price we pay for being in a competitive activity full of highly competitive people.

Over time, I've changed my opinion of the people who left to a kinder, gentler characterization. I used to feel a fair bit of resentment, and I did harbor some pretty harsh feelings that these folks had betrayed their loyalty to our corps, but I got over that a long time ago because I finally realized, "How am I to judge? Their lives were not my own, we're not cardboard cutouts of the same person, and so of course we made different decisions." That freedom to choose our own path is so important to me in so many areas of life, so why wouldn't I extend that to drum corps? I guess what surprises me is how long some folks hold on to that grudge. I can understand feeling it at the time, and maybe even a few years after. But still, to this day? And without talking to you to get your side of the story? I have a harder time understanding that . . . even though I know I didn't resolve my own feelings and biases overnight.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Maybe it will help us see and understand the other side of the story better.