1994 "Legacy" DVD question

Question: I'm trying to figure out what "Legacy" DVDs to buy in my last batch. It seems to me that in various threads about the 27th Lancers' exhibition alumni corps performance in 1994, I've read that it is not included in the "Legacy" DVD for that year. Is that true? If the performance is on there, then I'll buy that year. If not, then I'm really not interested. Let me know, OK? Thanks!

Question: I'm trying to figure out what "Legacy" DVDs to buy in my last batch. It seems to me that in various threads about the 27th Lancers' exhibition alumni corps performance in 1994, I've read that it is not included in the "Legacy" DVD for that year. Is that true? If the performance is on there, then I'll buy that year. If not, then I'm really not interested. Let me know, OK? Thanks!

No Sue, it isn't a part of the Legacy DVD. It was sold as a separate tape with just our performance thru 800 Video Express, Inc. It's also got 71 VFW Nationals on it, and interviews with instructors. It shows much of the last rehearsal and most people may not be interested in that.....it shows each section, etc.

However on beanman.net, you can see it, the whole show. Have you seen that one yet? It was done by Steve Groh and members of the alumni and it's fabulous, it gives a little of what we went thru right thru to the performance. Steve posted it a while back and about a month ago put up another one - 72 DCI, there's also the 35th anniversary story, but 94 is still there.

I just checked and they're still there if you'd like to see either....

Edited by LancerFi

No Sue, it isn't a part of the Legacy DVD.  It was sold as a separate tape with just our performance thru 800 Video Express, Inc.  It's also got 71 VFW Nationals on it, and interviews with instructors.  It shows much of the last rehearsal and most people may not be interested in that.....it shows each section, etc.

However on beanman.net, you can see it, the whole show.  Have you seen that one yet?

Yes, I've seen that site, which is absolutely wonderful! And I also have my tape of the '94 DCI telecast, but after watching the performance on the beanman site, I realized that I must not have seen the full performance on the telecast, but "highlights" . . . correct? I only remember seeing, I believe, two numbers, but realized only after going to the beanman site how much longer the actual performance was. Even more amazing than I originally realized!

Oh, well. That tells me what to order, in terms of my "Legacy" DVDs. Is the reason it's not on the "Legacy" DVD because Two-Seven got the rights to it for your own tape? I can't imagine any other reason for not having it on there.

.......Is the reason it's not on the "Legacy" DVD because Two-Seven got the rights to it for your own tape? I can't imagine any other reason for not having it on there.

I am not certain about the licensing arrangements. I suspect the corps got a flat fee from Video Express - which I think that is Larry McCormick's company. He interview Jim Wedge and a few others that were instrumental to the corps early success (late 60's early 70's) during the 94 finals week practices. McCormick's Enterprises used to video (film) shows in the early 70s - so I believe he had a copy of the 71 VFW in his archives and added it to the 94 performance.

As for the corps members video - that was a home made product with many people involved - mostly Steve Groh (see www.beanman.net). It was an exclusive video with "stills" and video from the re-organization of the alumni corps with monthly progress notes all the way to our finals performance and a snapshot of the tent. The corps never sold these tapes to the public.

The bottom line is that the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps is not a DCI corps, and would not be getting royalties from the distribution of audio/video products that are normally used to defray expenses at DCI.

The bottom line is that the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps is not a DCI corps, and would not be getting royalties from the distribution of audio/video products that are normally used to defray expenses at DCI.

Ah, OK, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

I've watched the video online and it's very impressive.

For folks who may not have seen that link before, here 'tis: 27th Lancers videos

I just watched the online video again, and I have a question: It addresses how Two-Seven managed to get musical equipment for so many people. But what about uniforms? I'm assuming you didn't have 280-plus uniforms in storage . . . though maybe you did. So, was there a uniform committee sewing new uniforms? If so, then that must've been a huge job, all by itself.

Several things continue to impress me, like the dedication, commitment, sacrifice and hard work of so many people, both on and off the field, to pull this off. And then, of course, I misted up yet again at that file of spinning rifles in "Danny Boy." That always seems to get me.

But something else caught my attention: The financial donation to the 27th Lancers alumni from the Santa Clara alumni. I thought that was such a classy gesture, indicative of the generosity and good will that still exists not only amongst members of our respective corps, but also extends to corps and their members outside our own organization. It's great to be reminded that that still exists.

I just watched the online video again, and I have a question: It addresses how Two-Seven managed to get musical equipment for so many people. But what about uniforms? I'm assuming you didn't have 280-plus uniforms in storage . . . though maybe you did. So, was there a uniform committee sewing new uniforms? If so, then that must've been a huge job, all by itself.

Several things continue to impress me, like the dedication, commitment, sacrifice and hard work of so many people, both on and off the field, to pull this off. And then, of course, I misted up yet again at that file of spinning rifles in "Danny Boy." That always seems to get me.

But something else caught my attention: The financial donation to the 27th Lancers alumni from the Santa Clara alumni. I thought that was such a classy gesture, indicative of the generosity and good will that still exists not only amongst members of our respective corps, but also extends to corps and their members outside our own organization. It's great to be reminded that that still exists.

Tne entire challenge was an overwhemling task. Luckily - many many great people took charge of tasks. In the DCI era, George B's wife Patsy took care the look and style of the unis. If Patsy said YES to an uni idea - it was golden - if Patsy said NO - don't ever bring it up again - ever. She had a memory that was painful at times.

In 1994, each member paid a fee for their uni. Everyone paid the same - although some were much more costly than others. It was the fairest way to do it.

Every single red rifle jacket was custom made to each performer, every single kilt was custom made for its drummer - can you see the pleats in our kilts? The hornline typically wore kahki's - shirts and slacks - and they could be be bought off the shelf. Every flag was custom made, every green ascot (some people call them dickies - they wrap around your neck and fill in your open shirt) was custom made. Patsy and her crew could rivel the best seamstresses in the Big Apple.

There were very few details omitted form the original DCI era uniforms. One - we did not use the green and white citation chords (I had mine from 1977 and wore it in 1994). Another was the drumline did not get the high spats - they were ordered but never arrived in time. We wore tall black hose. Luckily, we only needed to wear black footwear - not necessarily those spit shinned navy oxfords. Many of us bought New Balance black sneakers - very easy on the feet. Another detail was the drumline always wore red ascots - while the hornline wore green. When Patsy gave me the green ascot, I said "Patsy - isn't the drumline going to wear red ones" - her face froze - she knew for a moment that she forgot. Luckily I got a laugh and a hug from her, but the drumline wore green.

My kilt, along with wifey's rifle uni hangs in our closet. For a few years when our sons were in K-3 grades, she would wear hers as a halloween costume and visit their classroom. Made the kids and teachers so happy.