Interservice Academy Drum & Bugle Competition

My bad for looking this up on the INTERNET...like this is a source of reliable information! :o

Anyway, congrats to both the Air Force and Navy D&B corps. Saw the Air Force corp a couple of years back when they came to the Silicon Valley Bowl...no field show, but some good sounds in the stands.

Not sure about the reliability of USAFA D&B's website. They won in '96,'97,'98,and tied in '99; so I guess that's where the "four time defending champions" came into play.

The Marine D&B is a professional enlisted unit. They perform ceremonial functions at the Marine Barracks, Washington, DC. They also perform as a public relations arm of the Marine Corps around the world. The men and women of the Marine D&B are "full-time", the D&B is their "job".

The service academy D&Bs are comprised of cadets (or midshipmen). In this way, they are more akin to a college band. They all support their respective academies' athletic programs, providing halftime and pep band performances at football games and the like. The D&B programs at the service academies are "extracurricular activites". The men and women of these corps go to classes full time, and do drum corps part time.

Hope that helps!

Jeff Weir

Civilian Director

USNA D&B

weir@usna.edu

• 6 months later...

too bad i'm not qualified to get into the academy (navy that is) but i have always dreamed to become a USNA D&BC member...o well....i can always be a fan!

Go Navy....... ^_^ hmmmm in this case....beat Air Force!....and on east coast years Coast Guard too

congrats on a great year Jeff Weir and to Shawn Carpenter too

Hey Jeff!

Got the USNA D&B CD's - many thanks!!!!!

I played snare at USNA in D&B for 4 years and was also Corps Commander my senior year - I can't emphasize how amazingly difficult it was to put in the time with the corps AND to have an academic load of at least 18 credits per semester - in courses like Electrical Engineering, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Chemistry, Physics, Fluid Mechanics, Naval Engineering and Naval Science - no "fluff" Sandbox 101 courses there!

AND perform military duties, formations 3 times per day, AND participate in sports - 4 rough years with very little sleep - great preparation for a naval career that resulted in 20 years of very little sleep!

In fact, I believe my senior year we participated in the FIRST annual interservice competition - 1976 - USAFA won and boy were they ever GOOD!

Edited by RobH

Rob, No problem! I think you've earned them!!! haha

To all,

This year's Interservice Academy Drum & Bugle Corps Championship will be held at the U.S. Naval Academy. The date is Friday, October 3rd at 8:00PM. The show will be held at the Naval Academy's Rip Miller Field, just like every year. If the security situation is the same then as it is now, no non-DOD vehicles will be allowed to park on Academy grounds. There is parking down in Annapolis' City Dock, which is a short walk from the field. As the dates gets closer, I will update you all.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

AIRPOWER!!!

SPACEPOWER!!!

AEF!!!