2005 Cavaliers

OK, I know many people will look at my signature and say "Ya right. Like he can give a non-biased review." Well, you may be right but not entirely.

To start off, there have been a few comments by a few people on this and other sites that The Cavaliers are doing something very different this year. I can verify that this is true. To get a feel for their theme this year you should go to the Cavalier website. There are 5 distinctive pieces to this years show and each one is very different from the other.

The introduction is, for lack of a way of saying it, rather typical of what you have heard and seen from The Cavaliers in recent years. The similarities stop there.

The first movement is a fast pace high energy number that includes chaos, an “ant drill” and sounds of car horns that eventually comes together in formations that only Michael Gaines can think of.

The second movement a rather light hearted piece with a baseball theme. I know it sounds a little hokey but it is one of my favorite pieces of the show. You’ll hear various little sounds you might hear at a baseball game plus, the rifles are made and taped like baseball bats.

The forth piece or third movement is a dark piece that is a reference to the great Chicago fire. Little references to Amazing Grace can be heard from mello’s playing on ladders with the sound of fire crackling in the background.

Now, the fifth movement....let me say now that EVERYONE will accuse The Cavaliers of trying to beat BD at their own game. I also want to say the NO ONE can play jazz like BD. BUT!!!! This piece will surprise you! The answer to the questions:

• Can the Cavaliers play jazz? The answer is YES!

• Does it fit this show? I believe it does.

• Can the Cavalier soloists (yes, plural) play with the best of them? Oh ya!

All I can say is that this part of their show will surprise you because we are just not use to hearing The Cavaliers playing jazz. I had my doubts at first also but the staff and the guys pull it off. After a few viewings I feel you will agree. Don't forget, Chicago is known for its jazz.

Typical of the last few years, they are already pretty clean except for the last few minutes but that can be attributed to the fact they literally just learned what I saw that day. Like last year they have not quite finished their drill yet. But, the music they are playing at the end is your typical fast paced, high energy ending you expect from the corps. I can’t wait to see what Mr. Gaines has in stored for us!

Edited by dc oldtimer

I ask myself one and only one question, "Why in the #### did I decide NOT to march this summer and go work and make money?? WHY???"

After 2004 I would've LOVED to march this show.. it sounds amazing already... and we haven't even hit the highlights of the summer... wowzers! GGM!!

This sounds like a great show. Every year we get one from the Cavaliers. Their staff, administrations, and those members are to be commended big time for the hard work and creativity they put into each show. It is just amazing what they are doing. I remember watching the Blue Crew go through their dynasty from 1976 - 1982 (and the mid-to-late 90s as well) and also watching Garfield from 1983 - 1993. Watching the Cavaliers now is much the same. They are on a tear. 4 titles in 5 years! WOW. Could there be another? It will not surprise me if there is. They are the corps to beat until we all see otherwise.

Good luck to all of their administration, staff, and members.

Jonathan Willis

I was just wondering if the "Sweet Home Chicago" piece will be similar/same to the blues-rock piece by the same name?

please god i hope it is