The Orange Bowl. Thank GOD DCI forgot this one!

We stayed in Davie in '83 and yes, it rained right on schedule every day. The humidity was really high. After the first ten minutes of rehearsal, we sweated enough to drench out clothes.

I was really looking forward to Knight time in Miami. Oh well. I still like the show, especially the opener and closer.

In 1970, you stayed in Sunny Isles; several miles and many dollars away from the Fontanbleu, but at least on the beach.

Ah, I had no idea. Maybe someone was making a joke...but the hotel WAS very nice, if memory serves. ($1 to Chairman Kaga)...at least to someone not yet 17.

I was your local guide/gopher. Riding in the same wagon with Bobby Hoffman, Hugh Mahon, and George Tuthill for 4 days gave me a lifetime of hilarious memories.

That was SOME great group to bounce around with! :P

I guess you got some first hand experience with Tony Schlechta saying we should be thrown out of the show for forming a Peace Sign...and those folks reactions!

I remember the horn line rehearsing standing in the ocean to keep cool!

The Dolphin gig was courtesy of the late Dick Klund, Dolphin halftime co-ordinator, Miami Vanguards business manager, and a high-ranking PR guy for the Miami Hearld.

My parents told me they actually showed just about the entire show on TV! Too bad there isn't a video os THAT show! I always wondered how we got that gig...it seemed so random to me!

Mahon had a great story about being DM at '60 Nationals in the OB, while he was recovering from some respiratory surgery. I'm sure it was miserable at the time, but he had a whole comedic routine about it.

A VERY funny guy. Hugh did a great job as corps director.

Mike

I guess you got some first hand experience with Tony Schlechta saying we should be thrown out of the show for forming a Peace Sign...and those folks reactions!

Mike

It was one of my favorites. I was at the director's meeting and Tony didn't actually start by referring to Garfield. At the end, he said "and I don't want to see none of them GD peace signs on the flags again this year" (he was still fuming about Des Plaines' Hair show from 1969). In an attempt to pre-empt a problem at the show, Mahon, in his best Buck Henry style said "Tony, Garfield's FORMING a peace sign, but don't pay attention to the drill, listen to what we're playing. It's called White Rabbit and it's the junkie's song." With that, Hugh starts singing "one pill makes you larger and....." and rising slowly from his chair toward Schlecta. AJ looked briefly unnerved, then waved Hugh off with "OK Mahon, whatever. Go have your fun."