cedar rapids review

OK......it's been awhile since CR hosted a DCI event. Not sure exactly how long, but this was my first time at Kingston Stadium for DCI. It appeared like, anything that could go wrong.......did. From a Colt Cadets bus breaking down.....PA system malfunctioning......lights going out......oh yeah, did I mention it was HOT? Temperature in my van AFTER the show still read 85 degrees!

But......this is supposed to be about the show. I'm sure that the event organizers learned a lot about running the show and will have everything under control for next year's show. After all, Kingston stadium is a great place to watch a drum corps show (I've watched plenty of marching band contests there over the years).

Anyway......we arrived about 6 and found pretty decent seats about 25 rows up right on the 40. It was hot, but there was a breeze, and the sun was just about down behind the stadium wall, so we managed. While waiting we could see people working on microphone hook-ups down on the track. About 6:45 an announcement was made that one of the Colt Cadet busses had broken down so the Blue Stars would be the first corps......at 7:15 (the show was supposed to start at 7). Ok....I could handle that. Well, nothing happened until about 7:15 when the color guard (honor guard) headed to the south end zone to raise the flag. Not sure what the announcer was doing (OK, they were still trying to get microphones figured out). There was a local vocal group ready to perform the SSB but they were waiting for the microphone to work. Apparently the honor guard got tired of waiting and started raising the flag.....with no announcement at all. My wife wondered "they're going to raise the flag with no one performing the SSB?" About that time someone in the crowd started humming SSB.....then a few more joined in....and I think by the time it got to the Rockets Red Glare, everyone in the stands was humming........it was really cool. When we finished we all applauded ourselves, but the announcer got the mike working at about the same time and said something....and thought the applause was for him!!! So then the local vocal group gave their rendition of SSB and everything was ready to roll.

After more delays (presentation of the mayor, an opening prayer as well) the Blue Stars hit the field at 7:35. The Blue Star staff have really challenged these kids this year and I have no doubt that come August this will be a super show. Right now there are a lot of issues to deal with. Biggest problem I saw tonight was in the marching of the show. The drill is written well and is a real challenge. And the kids aren't quite meeting the challenge yet. There are a lot of 'set' points that kids just aren't getting to...and that disrupts the form.....changes the motion.....and doesn't give a visual 'punch' to emphasize the music.

Sound overall is very good. There were a few balance problems from time to time. Seems to get 'middle' heavy (mellos and baritones). I guess I thought with the number of contras they have on the field (I think 10) that they would provide a more solid bottom. But there were spots (in the ballad esp.) where I really couldn't hear the bottom of the chord. They do several section features during the program and I really liked the baritone-euphonium bits.

And.....I hope that they lose that little bit of the dance thing that they stole from the Cavaliers 2002 show ( if you know what I'm talking about). It worked for the Cavaliers in their tight formation.....but I don't think it's working where it's placed in the Blue Stars show.

Given time and the hard work these kids put.....this is going to be a great show by August. I'm looking forward to seeing them again soon.

Pioneer was next up. Now, I have a son marching Pioneer.....but I will try to objective. They do have a complete show on the field and it's only going to get better. I think that they light-years ahead of where they were last year at this time both marching and playing. They have a couple of outstanding soloists (trumpet and mellophone esp.)and a very well-balanced ensemble.

But I don't think that the drill is challenging enough. IMO, they need to make better use of the field. From what I saw, most of the drill happens between the 35's and rarely gets above the upper hash line........if they can expand the drill to use more of the field I think that they have a chance to get past quarterfinals this year.

Musically they are a well balanced ensemble......but again they could expand a lot on range of dynamics and put more 'oomph' into their big pushes.

Troopers followed. I loved last year's show and was not disappointed with this year's efforts. It appears that they still have a few holes to fill (what I wouldn't give to be 20 again and fill in one of those holes for them). They have a well-balanced sound and seem to have agood handle on the music. Someone in another review said that they didn't 'get' their rendition of 'She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain'......but I 'got' it.....and loved it. They just need to push it a little more at the end. The dissonances make it hard to listen to at times......but I never lost sight of the melody. Color guard is still learning the show.....and I saw many drops....and poor recoveries. But this is still early.....I expect to see better on down the road.

Colt Cadets were next. For those who don't know.......the CC are mostly kids under 16, with some probably only 10 or 11. They are learning......and doing well. Their show this year is called 'Arcade' and includes musical and visual references to arcade games from pinball.....to PacMan......Tetris.....frogger.....and probably others I'm too old to know. The guard makes good use of props to signify the different games.

The pit is placed on the field (stage left) and pretty much stayed out of the way of the drill.....but it didn't appear like they were playing too much either. Drill is well written......but the young kids have a long way to go to execute it better......but they are learning.......and will get better. I'm not sure, but I'll bet this is only their first or second show this summer.

Then we had our intermission......which was only 10 minutes long......(for those who complained in other posts about long intermissions).

Colts were up next. Here is a good example of field usage.......they cover the entire field to start....and spend the first good minute and a half playing to the backfield......building anticipation and finally 'BOOM" in your face. This corps has taken a big leap over last year.....and could be headed back to playing on Saturday night this year. Musically they had the most consistent sound of all the corps tonight and used the full range of dynamics.

One thing that is really outstanding with the Colts is how well the drill-design incorporates the color guard 'into' the show. They always seem to be in just the right spots to enhance the form and embellish the music with color (although I'm still not sure about last year's blue flags they used during 'Old Man River' to symbolize the mighty Mississippi.....I don't think anyone around here would characterize the color of the Mississippi as 'blue').

Madison scouts took the field next......and I waited and waited for 'Carmen' to appear. Finally in the second number' voila' there she was. Like another post said......it would have been OK for her to handle a flag, a rifle, a saber.....something. It would have made her a little more a part of the corps...

This show is outstanding.......the jazz treatment of the Carmen music is extremely well-written and the parts from West Side Story and quotes from other Scout's shows really 'fit' in.

The major drawback, IMO.......is that I spent an awful lot of time focused on Carmen, instead of the whole show. And when she left the field during the last number.......I kept watching for her to come back. Not sure how they can rectify this......and maybe it's only my problem. But I'm sure that I probably missed some other things happening while I was watching her exclusively.

Phantom Regiment was up next. Playing Gershwin this year is a departure from the old Spartacus days for sure.......but the arrangements all work. They played with a very clean sound......but could have used more push at times. It seemed to me like they were holding back (something the scouts will never be accused of).

The one guy in the color guard certainly didn't stand out like Carmen .......maybe it's because the show didn't seem to focus on him exclusively...and he used equipment...but he still performed his role well.

About the 4th (5th.....6th......7th) time I heard the Rhapsody In blue motive.....I closed my eyes and thought I was standing in the United Airlines Concourse at O.Hare.......

Blue knights finished up the show. This year's group seems to be struggling......maybe they just haven't been able to put in the time......and maybe it will get better......but tonight just didn't happen for these kids. There seems to be a lot of marching execution problems......guard that doesn't yet know their stuff......

The drill writers for this group could take a big lesson from the Colts and incorporate the guard into the drill design. One of the big highlights (I assume) is supposed to be the guard doing rifles in a block (surrounded by the horns) during the drum feature......but frankly I was bored with it. Try spreading them out......throughout the corps on the field.....and maybe that will help.

Someone wrote earlier about the Blue knights playing 'original music'.......maybe original arrangements......and maybe some is original.....but I know that 'Some Enchanted Evening' has been around a long time.. That was probably the highlight of their show.

We stuck around long enough to hear the scores and then headed home........did I mention it was still hot at 10:30?????

And I've rambled on long enough.......I'm sure my wife is wondering if I'm ever coming to bed.

Later

I find it strange that the Colt Cadets went on after two Div I corps. I've never heard of that before.

I find it strange that the Colt Cadets went on after two Div I corps.  I've never heard of that before.

Not strange at all when you consider the first part of his review which stated:

" About 6:45 an announcement was made that one of the Colt Cadet busses had broken down so the Blue Stars would be the first corps"

Thank you for your review of this show. My daughter is marching her first year of corps with the Troopers. I won't get to see any of the shows until they come to Denver so I really look forward to all the reviews, even the not so good ones. This has been a very nice one for the Troopers, thank you!

^OO^

"The most rewarding things in life are the ones that look like that can't be done."

Arnold Palmer

Edited by MrsV

Nice critique. Thanks for the review.

About the 4th (5th.....6th......7th) time I heard the Rhapsody In blue motive.....I closed my eyes and thought I was standing in the United Airlines Concourse at O.Hare.......

Do they really play rhapsody in blue there?