Grand Finale Poll

Do you think DCI should keep or dump the new format? What should change?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think DCI should keep or dump the new format? What should change?

• Keep It
    • Dump It

I went to a show this weekend and Mystical closed the show, as they were the host corps. We have also had DM retreats for years, so I didn't think the new format would affect our shows much. Having absolutely no interest in seeing them perform again, I left. A VC by SCV, complete with Clowns and a little Phantom, would have made this show more entertaining. I go to the shows to see the big dogs. This format has made shows less entertaining.

in a way, it gives those, like you, who only go to see the "big dogs" a chance to appreciate corps that you typically would not see. THat is of course assuming that ou're either A) not leaving b/c of a long drive etc or B ) that you're open minded enough to stay and watch someone who isnt' considered a "big dog"

As a member, I hated retreat. BUT, it's also what really drew me to the activity. I remember finals in 2002 and being absolutely AMAZED by it all. So amazed in fact, that I became a part of it.

That said, DM only retreats do have their value to members b/c it's down time that you don't typically get. Although, from what I gather most corps are still in the lot after the finale anyhow, so the real purpose of doing it isn't working out.

I say dump it! Have a few DM only retreats here and there, and be done with it. If it ain't broke, dont' fix it.

Edited by kristam

I say dump it!  Have a few DM only retreats here and there, and be done with it.

Having "drum majors only" retreats would actually be closer to the principle of the new format, IMO. If the goal is to get corps out of uniform more quickly, equipment loaded, etc., so that corps are out of the parking lot sooner, then it seems to me this format does a disservice to the corps who do have to stay afterward and perform the finale. Why not really do what you intend and have the drum majors come out, accept their awards, get back to the buses and change out of uniform? That seems to be a far more realistic way of accomplishing the goal of this new format.

Personally, I understand the logic here, but I feel that it is flawed. My suggestion is that if you want to have DM only retreats, allow the smaller corps to perform the encore at their home shows, as this is where friends and family are most likely to be there to see them. If there is no "home corps" at a show, allow the show winner to perform, as this is probably what the crowd would want to see.

As far as regionals/Saturday shows go, I think this should still be the full retreat. Usually many of the corps will be staying in the area on the night of the regional, at least a lot of corps that were in Orlando did.

I have other thoughts on this, but I can't seem to build a coherent sentence right now.. so they will have to wait. Suffice it to say that I didn't stick around for the encore in Orlando, and heard the scores as we were leaving / looking for friends to talk to. To each their own though...

With mostly the same corps at three shows last weekend along I-90 at the Rockford-Madison-DesPlaines trilogy, I suspect nobody was in any particular hurry to vacate the premises Friday or Saturday nights. With that in mind, what was gained by skipping the traditional Olympic-style grand finales -- except possibly for the lightning in Madison? Of course, adverse weather conditions would have affected any type of finale, and fans always can deal with that. But I didn't expect to have to watch the big exodus of people from the grandstand in Rockford once they figured out there would be no grand finale. Only time will tell whether this new finale format helps drive away even more fans who already are facing higher ticket prices and fewer headline corps per show. :(

To be fair, however, I thought it interesting to watch and hear two "Regiments" perform "America/Oh, Canada" on Rockford's home field. Both Capital Regiment and Phantom Regiment helped entertain the remaining crowd who stayed to hear PR's traditional post-show concert.

By the way, it brought back great pride and enjoyment to hear part of the 1982 version of "Spartacus" and the 1979 arrangement of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" complete with brass AND percussion! :)

And, since this is the Reviews section of the dcp forum, I would like to add a comment on Phantom Regiment's 2005 repertoire of "Rhapsody!" When PR performs the field show at the same level of musical excellence it did in Friday's encore performance, watch out! This musical production is nothing short of amazing! :P

I applaud your survey :rock: . I vote to dump the new format and return to the full retreat. It was awe inspiring, emotional, deafening, heart pounding experience each time you heard it with the full evening corps playing. It motivated my daughter to want to be part of a corps and as a parent I was proud to see her on the field after each show I went to...small or large. I appreciate the article that was on DCI website on Monday, at least we know that they are getting wind of these forums. Yet when I emailed them they are still pat in their responses with it's good for the corps because it presents "a level playing field". They don't respond to the fact that nobody is leaving the shows early and leaving the DM's there with a small support staff to take them to the next stop. Plus how do the corps get more rehearsal time if they don't leave and are they going to practice when they get there? NOT...sleep yes. I say bring it back...like the person before said..if it is not broke don't fix it. Like the amps...dump the new format <**> .

If they want to level the playing field, they can bring back full retreat (since apparently no one is leaving) and let the home corps play the encore.

problem solved. next? lol

If corps are not leaving like they said they would then BRING BACK RETREAT!!!

There seems to be absolutly nothing GRAND about this new Grand Finale.

I applaud your survey :rock: .  I vote to dump the new format and return to the full retreat.  It was awe inspiring, emotional, deafening, heart pounding experience each time you heard it with the full evening corps playing.  It motivated my daughter to want to be part of a corps and as a parent I was proud to see her on the field after each show I went to...small or large.  I appreciate the article that was on DCI website on Monday, at least we know that they are getting wind of these forums.  Yet when I emailed them they are still pat in their responses with it's good for the corps because it presents "a level playing field".  They don't respond to the fact that nobody is leaving the shows early and leaving the DM's there with a small support staff to take them to the next stop.  Plus how do the corps get more rehearsal time if they don't leave and are they going to practice when they get there?  NOT...sleep yes.  I say bring it back...like the person before said..if it is not broke don't fix it. Like the amps...dump the new format  <**> .

Actually corps are leaving earlier. Before when the entire corps was on the field for retreat we would leave 1.5 hours following retreat. We had to get everyone out of uniform, eat snack, and load the trucks in that time. Now we get everyone out of uniforms, eat snack, and load the trucks within 1.5 hours of getting off the field. In most cases, as soon as retreat is concluded the DMs get on the bus and they leave. If the staff is in critique the corps can still leave and the staff bus catches up. Leaving the DMs with a small support staff would not really be very feasible. Our corps vans travel with the caravan at all times, carry our volunteer cook staff, and we typically do not make our first stop for about 1.5-2 hours after departing a site. It is extremely rare for the caravan to break up, it's only happened once (earlier this year when we were in critique at the second show) in the three years I've been on staff.

Whether this is a good change or not, I don't know, but corps ARE leaving the lots earlier.