Valve Rotor Soprano

jminton

Ahhhh....memories of Pepe teaching Empire (in that gravelly voice)  "Lemme tell ya somet'in', son..."

Funny thing...I was describing him at a Dream rehersal this year...the time when Empire was doing a straight line rotation in "Sing, Sing, Sing"...he described it this way.

(insert gravelly voice)

"Pretend there's a metal rod...and it's goin' t'rough yer skull....the rod's rotatin' and yer goin' right along wit it...stay on da rod....don't fall off da rod!!!"

Sigh....I miss him!

I can't agree more, I miss him dearly....

But with every new story I hear about him, I know he is with us, and always will be. I know I can never forget him.....

Guido

Good ol' Pepe. The kids of today are missin' out on a real drum corps legend.

I wonder how many folks realize he started out on soprano....

All they have to do it watch oen of the broadcasts...was it 89 or 90??

And he STILL has the greatest drum corps quote of all time (paraphrased)

"When do you know it's time to quit drum corps?"

"When the first shovel of dirt hits my face..."

You've got all the answer you need, but here's some background...

The Olds Ultratone model has a slide combined with the rotor. If working properly (some don't) you push the slide in for A-flat (along with the piston being in). The slide is spring-loaded so it should pop back out when you release it. If you want to tune the open notes on the Ultratone, you use the threaded adjustment on the slide associated with the rotor. I don't know of any other model of horn that has this slide feature. (Arrangers would stay away from A-flats if possible.)

Unless your name happened to be Gail Royer. Gail arranged our 1975 concert number "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof in the key of A flat for whatever reason. Hey, he was Gail Royer, he could write whatever he wanted in whatever key he wanted and nobody would question his judgement.

Now that he's gone I guess it's safe. 4 Flats! C'mon Gail, what were you drinking, I mean thinking! B)

I don't remember having any A flat tuning slides on our sops though, I just lipped it. Kinda scary though, the A flat was the second note of concert, leaving just one note to reference the relative pitch. :sshh:

• 3 weeks later...
Unless your name happened to be Gail Royer. Gail arranged our 1975 concert number "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof in the key of A flat for whatever reason. Hey, he was Gail Royer, he could write whatever he wanted in whatever key he wanted and nobody would question his judgement.

Now that he's gone I guess it's safe. 4 Flats! C'mon Gail, what were you drinking, I mean thinking! B)

I don't remember having any A flat tuning slides on our sops though, I just lipped it. Kinda scary though, the A flat was the second note of concert, leaving just one note to reference the relative pitch. :sshh:

Suffice to say Gail wasn't just "some arranger".