what ever happen to tradition and honor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freddy martin was not only the heart of spirit but its soul too

and without that it will never be the real spirit the sound of the mello line coming over the sops and the way you could here the overtones is what made this corps

Last I heard, Freddy and Sharon Martin are still running the "Spirit Camp" in the greater Atlanta area, so there's probably at least a little bit of involvement with the corps. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

You're right though, Freddy Martin is one of the most brilliant brass-minds I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

As a side note...his son, Chris just won the principal trumpet gig with the Chicago Symphony. Way to go Chris!! (he marched with us in '93)

and without that it will never be the real spirit the sound of the mello line coming over the sops and the way you could here the overtones is what made this corps

Last I heard, Freddy and Sharon Martin are still running the "Spirit Camp" in the greater Atlanta area, so there's probably at least a little bit of involvement with the corps. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

You're right though, Freddy Martin is one of the most brilliant brass-minds I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

As a side note...his son, Chris just won the principal trumpet gig with the Chicago Symphony. Way to go Chris!! (he marched with us in '93)

and their placement shows what happens when you don't evolve. i have nothing against tradition. its important but at the sametime a corps needs to change certain things over time

change is good only if it is for the best, you said look at their scores my point exacly they use to be running for the top 7 has spirit placed higher than 9th 10th

since changing

freddy doesnt do anything with this spirit he works with phantom regiment some

what i was told was when spirit moved he was asked to step aside

change is good only if it is for the best, you said look at their scores my point exacly  they use to be  running for the top 7 has spirit placed higher than 9th 10th

since  changing

True. "Petrouchka", and then "Interstellar Suite" in 1989... put them in 14th place, right before they came back with "Gone With The Wind" in 1990.

There's a lot of contemporary Southern and/or newer African-American classical composers out there that could be used, and would still uphold the "Southern" tradition of Spirit. Even someone like Charles Ives, or a foray into straight ragtime would be a interesting blend of old and new.

Oh well, there's a reason I'm not on the design staff of any DCI corps. :P

Edited by bawker

change is good only if it is for the best, you said look at their scores my point exacly  they use to be  running for the top 7 has spirit placed higher than 9th 10th

since  changing

If you want to talk numbers, then take a look at them.

Spirit placements from 1991 to 2000 (before JSU):

15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 17, 14, 16, 15

Spirit is better since teaming up with the university.