SA Percussion Judges

i think it hurts almost everyone, look at mandarins- 13.4 and 15.4

Or it helped Mandarins, since there's a possibility that they could have simply drawn the 13.4 judge and lost the additional point they got by averaging.

Multiple judges when it comes to 'beauty contest' judging (which is what DCI has now) lessens the liklihood of someone winning or losing simply because ONE set of eyes and ears had an unusually strong opinion on how they did (positively or negatively). I'd actually prefer if the DCI finals show was judged by double the panel they have now with each subcaption averaged, as it would increase the overall input as far as final placements, lending to a better total read of the season, imho.

The discrepancy in the two percussion judges shows just how subjective drum corps judging is (of course there’s an objective aspect too).

Personally, I don’t think the best answer is to use fewer judges. I’d actually like to see more judges—of course only so many of them could be on the field. Added to this, I’d like to see an Olympic system where the highest and lowest scores are thrown out.

This is just dreaming; I know it’ll never happen, but I think it’s safe to say that most of us have questioned certain scores over the years. This system would at least add more validity to scores as no one person would decide who wins an entire caption.

This thread seems to be dead, but...

I would not expect the judges to give the same scores, not even close, but the really disconcerting thing is not the scores. What worries me is the discrepency in the placement of the top 6.

Look at this... :worthy:

Judge 1

======

Glass

SCV

JSU

BK

Cross

Colts

Judge 2

=======

JSU

SCV

Glass

Colts

BK

Cross

So, yet again, if there's a similarity, they're slotting.

If there's a big discrepancy, we have the plot for the next Ludlum novel :worthy: