Mandarin scores July 19-25

I had actually mentioned this in a past thread, very few instructors are touring with them right now, and none (or maybe one) of the caption heads. I think this is contributing to less productive practices, a loss of focus, and the inability to clean and "water" before the final push to Boston. The rest of the staff is supposedly joining the corps in Indy, so I am really hoping they get back on track. I know some of you think 75 is where they belong, but I really think they're just in a funk right now and will likely get out of it - I just hope sooner than later.

If that is so, then why the drop. Don't you think they would at least be able to hang on to what they have had? I understand staff not being around and all, but that really doesn't do anything for the scores as far as them performing consistantly with what they had. It's hard to know where they would have been... But someone else said, this happens every year, corps go East, Mandarins and whoever else end up with higher scores than their competitors, and when they finally meet, they get a score closer to their competitors... The staff joining should help them a great bit, but it makes me wonder what the staff who is with them now is doing... shouldnt they be skilled enough to keep the momentum going?

...I think this is contributing to less productive practices, a loss of focus, and the inability to clean and "water" before the final push to Boston...

I find it interesting that you believe that the primary way for them to clean their show is to "water" it. For instance, you say they're in a "funk" and will likely get out of it. Why then do they necessarily need to "water" their show to make it better? Maybe they actually need more complexity. How many times have you seen a finalist corps "water" their show to achieve higher scores? Sure they do rewrites, but most of them are not detracting from their shows' complexity. Maybe all they really need is a higher level of execution, because then they will be able to increase all of their caption scores. Especially the ever important GE score. I guess we'll find out in Indy.

Just some thoughts....

I find it interesting that you believe that the primary way for them to clean their show is to "water" it. For instance, you say they're in a "funk" and will likely get out of it. Why then do they necessarily need to "water" their show to make it better? Maybe they actually need more complexity. How many times have you seen a finalist corps "water" their show to achieve higher scores? Sure they do rewrites, but most of them are not detracting from their shows' complexity. Maybe all they really need is a higher level of execution, because then they will be able to increase all of their caption scores. Especially the ever important GE score. I guess we'll find out in Indy.

Just some thoughts....

REWRITE, "water"...what's the difference. And YES, drum corps (even the big dawgs) WATER music and drill before championships...you call it rewrite, I called it quote-n-quote water...it's the same thing. If a corps still can't perform something two months into the season, you get rid of it and replace it with something else. Call it whatever you want - it's besides the point.

I wasn't saying that they HAVE TO "water." ALL I'M SAYING IS if main instructors aren't there at practices to point things out (whether it's executing a drill set correctly or ensemble music stuff) and see what's working, how do you improve? Don't students usually learn the most from the best/most experienced teachers?

Edited by ddoy42

I had actually mentioned this in a past thread, very few instructors are touring with them right now, and none (or maybe one) of the caption heads. I think this is contributing to less productive practices, a loss of focus, and the inability to clean and "water" before the final push to Boston. The rest of the staff is supposedly joining the corps in Indy, so I am really hoping they get back on track. I know some of you think 75 is where they belong, but I really think they're just in a funk right now and will likely get out of it - I just hope sooner than later.

Out of curiousity, do you know why their entire staff isn't touring with them right now?

I understand the whole point about corps travelling east and having their scores drop, but the Mandarins didn't have an immediate drop in score. They only dropped about a point going after the regional with 22 other corps. They were 15th in San Antonio, right? Their scores have subsequently dropped since the regional. I don't think this theory is the cause for the Mandarins drop. There must be something else or their score would have drastically dropped at the regional when they competed against everyone.

Don't Give Up On "MANDARINS" Just Yet !!!! They WILL PREVAIL!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! HOT! HOT! HOT!

Way to go MANDARINS! I say "Go West Young Person" Seems MANDARINS are on the move UP, while unfortunately Corps with "THE" are not. So What's in a name? Moved UP from 17th, (2003) while others Moved DOWN from 11th. Keep up the hard work. In the end Truth, Justice & Hard Work Shall Prevail!!! KEEP UP THE DRIVE!!! Texas in with you all the Way!

2003 SCORES and REVIEWS

AUGUST 9 - DCI FINALS - ORLANDO, FL (AUGUST 2003)

98.80 - Blue Devils

97.25 - The Cavaliers

97.10 - The Cadets

94.75 - Phantom Regiment

94.70 - Santa Clara Vanguard

90.95 - Boston Crusaders

90.75 - Bluecoats

89.55 - Madison Scouts

86.90 - Crossmen

86.65 - Carolina Crown

85.60 - Magic of Orlando (11th Place)

84.40 - Spirit from JSU

80.30 - Mandarins (17th Place) AUGUST 7 - DCI QUARTERFINALS - ORLANDO, FL

2005 SCORES and REVIEWS

JULY 26 - TROJAN SUMMER MUSIC GAMES - TROY, AL

92.050 - The Cavaliers

90.850 - Blue Devils

86.800 - Carolina Crown

83.100 - Spirit from JSU

80.200 - Colts 75.100

75.100 - Mandarins (July 25 - Baton Rouge, LA DCI Red Stick Thunder Pageant)

74.100 - The Magic July 25 - Baton Rouge, LA[/b]

DCI Red Stick Thunder Pageant of Champions

70.950 - Troopers

66.500 - Kiwanis Kavaliers