2006 Championships

Any word or even speculation as to where 2006 finals will be?

http://www.visitmadison.com/newsmedia/pres...lease.php?id=77

Which reads:

NEWS RELEASE

Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Kim M. Straka, Director of Communications & PR

straka@visitmadison.com

3/2/2004

Drum Corps International Marches into Madison Once Again

Madison, WI - In August 2006, Madison will march to the beat of what is becoming some very familiar drummers. Drum Corp International (DCI), the worldwide youth drum and bugle corps organization, will return to Madison for the 2006 Summer Music Games World Championship on August 8-12, 2006.

An expected 25,000 people will gather in Madison for this exciting competition that will be held at Camp Randall Stadium. The four-day event is estimated to create $3.3 million in direct spending for the Madison area.

“We are so thrilled to again have this exciting event in our community. The Madison area has benefited greatly from DCI and we look forward to continuing our long-standing partnership with them,” said Deb Archer, President & CEO of the Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau (GMCVB).

The 2006 event marks the sixth return to Madison for DCI. Championships were held in Madison in 1985, 1986, 1987, as well as 1992 for DCI’s 20th anniversary and 2002 for DCI’s 30th anniversary.

c u there......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops! They forgot about 1999. :worthy:

OH well...looks like we won't be going to finals for the next two years at least.

I guess I'll be finding a new hobby. :)

So when are we gonna have em in philly again! Lets see the Linc for DII Franklin Feild for DII/III great place lottsa good corps near by.

As much as I would love to see DCI finals in Philly, I'd be stunned if it ever happened.

Number one:I doubt that DCI could afford or that the Eagles would ever let anybody on the Linc. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that's happened on the Linc besides Eagles games and Temple games was a soccer game, and when Manchester United's involved, best believe that the Eagles made lots of money off that one game.

Number two: Franklin Field is certainly nice enough for Division II/III, but it would be a pain for the corps involved and spectators. The location of Franklin Field doesn't make it conducive for a new fan to want to come there. Parking is a hassle and limited, public transportation is available but not easy (I take SEPTA 4 days a week, therefore I know), and you're crammed in the city.

Finally, I would wonder about whether there would be enough schools that would be available in the area to house corps. I know for DCI East, corps are staying at schools up to an hour away from Allentown, and that's only for one day, and that's only the top 21 corps. I believe the schools in the area are quite picky, plus, you have HS football practice going on.

I certainly hope I'm wrong and that Philly could host DCI finals again someday. It could just be my cynical Philly attitude!

I REALLY..REALLY hope this does not come into fruition and not in stone. Rose Bowl does not work for Drum Corps..and most definitely NOT FINALS.  San Diego is a heck of a better place to have finals, Jack Murphy Stadium (Qualcomm) is more suited towards and for Drum Corps. Also from a Tourism point of view is just way better..is so much more accomodating.

I couldn't agree more! San Diego is a much better city to hold the 2007 DCI Championship. From what I have been hearing that is probably where the show will wind up.

How early do you guys usually buy tickets for finals?

last year i got kick-### seats about 2 weeks before finals thanks to this wonderful site here (and some very nice person). I was in the mid-level (club level) 40 yardline on side 2. You can usually find some good ones right up until finals because for some reason or another someone cant go at the last minute.

As much as I would love to see DCI finals in Philly, I'd be stunned if it ever happened.

Number two: Franklin Field is certainly nice enough for Division II/III, but it would be a pain for the corps involved and spectators. The location of Franklin Field doesn't make it conducive for a new fan to want to come there. Parking is a hassle and limited, public transportation is available but not easy (I take SEPTA 4 days a week, therefore I know), and you're crammed in the city.

I certainly hope I'm wrong and that Philly could host DCI finals again someday. It could just be my cynical Philly attitude!

75 and 76 I thought was fabulous in Philly...one as a spectator, the other as a finalist.

Of course that was a long time ago!

Madison is a lock for next year, nothing will change that.

Nothing has been set in stone yet for 2007, other than a couple of sites have been set aside as possibilities for finals. One is the Rose Bowl, the other I don't know. DCI has had a delegation that has traveled to Pasadena and northern California for meetings with the various facilities.