Cadets '93

Other than the Cavies that year, I loved every show all the way through. There were highlights of the Cavies' show I did like but their 92 championship is still the best. But yeah, Cadets, Star, PR, BD, Madison... loved them all the way through. And if it's any consilation, Cadets won only by a tenth of a point. Thats shows the almost tie between them! Cadets took the GE and visual while Star took the brass and percussion (tied with BD for brass). So in essence, Star played better but Cadets looked better! I guess there in lies the push for better visual and GE more than sound and performance! Food for thought! I may go back and see where music performance won championships rather than visual and GE, don't think I'll find much if any.

Was '93 the "ABC's of Modern American Music" show? If so, thats a great show!!!!!

The Crossmen Pat Metheny show was great that year, also.

No, that was 91' Another great show, ahead of it's time. Would love to see that replayed today and see how it matches up with the music being played by other corps.

If there were any year I'd put at a tie, it would be '93.  I'd put Star '93 on top by .000001, if at all.  That said, I LOVE the Cadets' show.  For the first 5 minutes of that show, they march at 160+, and maintain exceptional musicanship, and are nearly flawless in in visual, brass, and battery integration.  That show was also ahead of its time, IMO.  If you have the DVD, go back and watch the contra line of the Cadets.  They fly.  Come to think of it, watch and listen to the individual sections (guard, brass, perc) in BOTH shows,, keeping in mind both performance and difficulty, and tell me how you can put one ahead of the other, overalll.  Tough to judge, IMO.

In '93 a good friend of mine was marching his rookie year in Cadets' snare line. I remember seeing an early season show in OH with Cadets, and immediately thout that Cadets had a winner.

That year I went to a TON of shows, and almost immediately fell in love with Cadets. I was biased at the time, and I had a thing against Star (since they were so neck and neck with Cadets). I didn't like their atonal music. I didn't like all of the body movement. I didn't like that their drumline didn't throw down (and liked even less that they ended the show with a buzz roll). And I sure as heck didn't like when Star seemed to beat Cadets at regionals (Preview was one I remember vividly).

At the time, it seemed like many other audience members agreed.

But now, looking back, I feel like the Star show was ahead of it's time. I still love the Cadets' show, and I still think they should've won, but Star was way ahead of the design game. I see the Star '93 show as the last show to truly be innovative in the activity. What they did would easily be competitive for the ring now, and over ten years later I don't think another show design has been as revolutionary as that show (IMO, SCV '98 was close).

And not only did Star have the 'new' show design, but they had the talented performers to match. That brass line was amazing (HAD to be to tie brass with BD that year, who's brass ruled the field), and their drumline is considered by many to be one of the best ever. Looking at that show now, you can see how much it influenced everything after it (heck, even in '94 how many corps used some kind of body movement in their show, usually in a not-so-good way, IMO).

But Cadets had the show design. They took three or four different pieces, and weaved them together PERFECTLY! That Cadets show, design wise, flows better than almost any other show. That drumline could throw down, the hornline was strong, and the guard was great! I still consider that Cadets of Bergen County '93 show as my favorite for the way it blended music and visual.

I agree about '93 being a strong year. I kind of remember, at the time, people thinking it was weak from an audience enjoyment stand point (especially compared to '92), but I liked that Top 6 from '93. Add in Crossmen's second part to the songs for planet earth trilogy (and a sweet drumline from them), Blue Knights cool/fun Star Trek show, and, IMO, an underappreciated SCV show and you have a strong year in the Top 12!

Dang; after all of this discussion you're _forcing_ me to buy that darn DVD ;)

--

doug

Fantastic.  Could still win today, drill was scary as ####.

amen, what they pulled off is just insane. that drill was incredibly fast, difficult, and seamlessly integrated. Star's was on another level as well.

I still think that Cadets 93 is the all-time best DCI show, in terms of the total package of design, difficulty, execution, innovation, and entertainment...that show hits all those points with me.