West Chester review

Here is my review of the West Chester show..............

general......very hot evening......good crowd.....West Chester Univ. stadium (my alma mater).....field was dry and not in good shape..needs new sod....you would think they would get that with the both the level of band program and also a football team that made National Semifinals in NCAA Div. II.......

Jersey Surf.......healthy size corps......some good impacts....solid division II corps.....I thought arrangements were a bit choppy, but there are good moments, too......some individuals struggling on this hot night..........

Mandarins.......they've come along way from a small division III corps......they have some decent performance in all segments, but there were some major problems in brass in terms of quality, expecially articulation....drumline was ok, but staged too deep far too often........show went downhill musically from an emotional standpoint..............ne: 75........judges 79..............

Blue Knights.......had some brass quality issues at lower volumes and some individual quality issues......drumline gave a strong job tonight.....visual is this corps strength...........musical book has momnets, but still lacks musical continuity, as so many books today do..........me:84........judges.........86

Crossmen..........also had some individual brass problems at times....drumline much improved from early season.......endings are much improbed.....had feeling they were holding back and perhaps just trying to be clean.....guard also is much improved.....I agree that visual book overall isn't up to snuff and the show is better musically then visually......that said, I don't think they are out of it yet....when I saw Spirit earlier, I felt this show is better musically overall and Spirit is better visually overall, so I expect a dogfight next week...........me 81....judges 83

Bluecoats.........the surprise of the night for me...........truly strong brass performance job tonight, and in fact I thought right there with Cadets........they have a great blend and they play very controlled with good quality. I could use a bit more impact on endings, which they are still capable of.............I think tweaking the endings could push this show up a notch.....I also thought the visual staging was excellent and the percussion section was stellar, and playing alot. IMO the best Bluecoats have ever been, and I am curious to see how they stack up next week...............me: 90 judges: 91

Cadets: drumline and guard were stellar tonight....hornline was good but not stellar throughout the program.........intense musical and visual demands on all performers....quick tempos....many notes......end of show doesn't make it for me, and I am still having trouble getting into all of the musical book......drumline and guard are absolutely stellar..........I highly question the musical effect score, whcih is a problem that I have with DCI judging....it's just another performance caption, nothing more..............me.....93...........judges 96...............

General....to the judges.....is their a justifiable reason that you go out of control with the numbers in the last 2 weeks, even if the performance given doesn't merit astronomical scores? Please consider what a 19 should mean before you shell them out.....we don't have to have obligatory 98's every year............

Thanks for reading.........onward to Allentown tommorrow night.........good night!