Cadets - 19.6

Phantom - 19.3

Madison - 19.1

Cavies - 18.9

Monte Mast (Brass Perf):

Cadets - 19.4

Phantom - 19.3

Cavies - 19.1

It seems that at field level it is a Cadets/Phantom matchup (however, not by a huge margin). But apparantly the same level of precision isn't being carried up to the box.

GE scores:

Cadets - 39.5

Cavies - 38.8 (-.7)

Phantom - 37.8 (-1.7)

If Phantom can gain some ground on GE tonight, and maintain their composure on the field, I think they can make up some serious ground.

Dave Gilday

PR Soprano 98-01

Edited by dgilday

Interesting to note the how the field judges placed the top three:

Ed Warren (Visual Perf):

Phantom - 19.5

Cadets - 19.4

Cavies - 19.3

J.J. Pipetone (Perc. Perf):

Cadets - 19.6

Phantom - 19.3

Madison - 19.1

Cavies - 18.9

Monte Mast (Brass Perf):

Cadets - 19.4

Phantom - 19.3

Cavies - 19.1

It seems that at field level it is a Cadets/Phantom matchup (however, not by a huge margin). But apparantly the same level of precision isn't being carried up to the box.

GE scores:

Cadets - 39.5

Cavies - 38.8 (-.7)

Phantom - 37.8 (-1.7)

If Phantom can gain some ground on GE tonight, and maintain their composure on the field, I think they can make up some serious ground.

Dave Gilday

PR Soprano 98-01

That's an interesting observation! I guess the drill isn't complex enough to even be considered! To bad for Phantom! I'm still proud of them~

Can anyone tell me what they saw and heard from above?

Edited by Phantombari1

That's an interesting observation! I guess the drill isn't complex enough to even be considered! To bad for Phantom! I'm still proud of them~

Can anyone tell me what they saw and heard from above?

Thats the way it has been for years. Back in my years we won field every year and would take 3rd or 4th in GE. That is the typical scenario for Regiment.

You know that is very interesting. last night on the cinecast they interviewed three field judges and asked them how they were deciding scores. one of the coments was that the performances at the top were so great that it really came down to difficulty in book. With that comment I was wondering how the heck phantom could be so far behind cadets as IMO they have a brass book that is at least as difficult as the cadets if not more.

You know that is very interesting.  last night on the cinecast they interviewed three field judges and asked them how they were deciding scores. one of the coments was that the performances at the top were so great that it really came down to difficulty in book. With that comment I was wondering how the heck phantom could be so far behind cadets as IMO they have a brass book that is at least as difficult as the cadets if not more.

IMO, comparing the difficulty of each of the top 3 corps at this point in the season is just about impossible. Each of them have extremely exposed passages, the drill is extremely demanding, and they are ALL doing it at an incredible level.

IMO, comparing the difficulty of each of the top 3 corps at this point in the season is just about impossible. Each of them have extremely exposed passages, the drill is extremely demanding, and they are ALL doing it at an incredible level.

Trust me. I don't underestimate the performance or difficulty of any of the top three. I just had a hard type digesting such a huge spread. But in looking at the recaps (especially GE scores), things seemed to make more sense.

You know that is very interesting.  last night on the cinecast they interviewed three field judges and asked them how they were deciding scores. one of the coments was that the performances at the top were so great that it really came down to difficulty in book. With that comment I was wondering how the heck phantom could be so far behind cadets as IMO they have a brass book that is at least as difficult as the cadets if not more.

Phantom's brass book is very difficult but I don't think it requires the musicianship levels that the Cadet's does. If you pay attention, the Cadets play at medium and soft dynamic levels way more than any other corps. It is much more difficult to balance and blend when playing brass instruments quiet. The attacks are extremely hard to get clean when the embochure is set for a lighter dynamic. Also when marching, it is easier to hear the feet in the sound. (I don't know how the Cadets get around this problem, considering the marching style they use)

Edited by Tez

Phantom's brass book is very difficult but I don't think it requires the musicianship levels  that the Cadet's does.  If you pay attention, the Cadets play at medium and soft dynamic levels way more than any other corps.  It is much more difficult to balance and blend when playing brass instruments quiet.  The attacks are extremely hard to get clean when the embochure is set for a lighter dynamic.  Also when marching, it is easier to hear the feet in the sound.  (I don't know how the Cadets get around this problem, considering the marching style they use)

That may be true but they also do alot of marching and not playing at all!

NO WAY PR's brass book is as difficult as Cadets. You have to take accessibility into account. The more "out there" the music, the more difficult it is to play, usually. Visually, PR does not have the physical demands that really accentuate the brass book like Cadets do. It's like saying Rossini and Bartok are both difficult, and they are. But, IMHO, Bartok demands greater musicianship and technique because of it's esoteric nature. Hence the greater reward from judges.

NO WAY PR's brass book is as difficult as Cadets.  You have to take accessibility into account.  The more "out there" the music, the more difficult it is to play, usually.  Visually, PR does not have the physical demands that really accentuate the brass book like Cadets do.  It's like saying Rossini and Bartok are both difficult, and they are.  But, IMHO, Bartok demands greater musicianship and technique because of it's esoteric nature.  Hence the greater reward from judges.

In my opinion, this point is not necessarily true. Sometimes very accessible music is extremely difficult because everyone knows exactly how it should sound and with what style it should be played with. I know for a fact that my college wind ensemble playes atonal music much better than the 'classic' band piece, and even most marches.

That being said, I don't think the Cadet's music this year is "out there" at all. None of it is atonal and the rhythms are fairly normal.