Disappointed by D1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been listening to/watching '91 VK again, haven't you?

As someone involved in Div II ,I would like to say that not only do the shows seem to reflect the "heart " of drum corps BUT my impression over the last three years is that it truely reminds me of what drum corps was to me when I marched all those years ago. Not to say that the shows are reminiscent but that the attitude and atmosphere around the corps are. For example MOST Div II/III are made up of MOSTLY local people. We have some from out of the area,and that will continue in years to come as these two divisions become increasingly popular, but mostly they all come from an area about an hour to an hour and a half in radius.

What you have is an instant affinity amongst members because you really truely represent the area of the country you live in and have, somewhat,a commonality of background.Sort of like you all know the same local history (sort of).There is a great feeling of family,maybe again because it's mostly "local" kids, or maybe because we're generally a little smaller than the BIG GUYS. Most members come to these corps because a friend or family member has told them how good the group is and how much fun it can be as opposed to what I hear alot from potential DivI participants about THE RING. I am proud to be part of the corps I work with and the family we are building. I look forward to NEW corps and hope MORE will pop up .Properly done DivII/III will be where the revitalization of the activity comes from. We all need to remember the Numerous corps who have come and gone before us ,and remember that our responsibility as LEADERS of these groups is to not just the members you have this year BUT insuring that there is a Drum Corps in your area for all those members not yet born.

IF YOU LOVE WHAT YOUR CORPS IS AND WHAT IT DID FOR YOU ...HELP MORE PEOPLE EXPERIENCE WHAT YOU DID and hopefully keep what drum corps REALLY about , ALIVE AND WELL.

I enjoyed the Div II and III show in Van Buren, Ark. better than the Div I shows I saw in Wichita, Pittsburg(KS) and Broken Arrow. 

I am serious when I say this.  I really did enjoy the shows more.  It reminded me more of what Drum Corps was and should be. 

Spartans, Impulse, Teal Sound, Memphis Blues, OC and Revo put on a better show.

Well except for PR, Scouts and Troopers.  :P

PR was outstanding at finals, I felt the music. And thank you for the complement! Revolution had an awesome come back year, I hope to see the same out of Americanos, Bandettes, and any others!

I have always been a strong advocate of the D2 corps. IMO, many of the D2 corps are just as entertaining, if not more so, then many of their D1 counterparts. It's no secret that if some of these D2 corps opt for D1 status in the near future, a number of D1 corps will fall when competing against them. Having so many D2's can only strengthen the activity over all. Let's all support them as well!

Maybe it's time that a Division 2 corps steps up to Division 1, do all the typical Division 1 things but still have the same mindset and the same sort of shows like they used to have in D2, so raise the level higher, but keep the entertainment en the other typical D2 things.

...E *cough*

just a biased opinion though B)

I enjoyed all three divisions this year. Really.

Cavies, Madison, and Colts I really enjoyed, and personally thought that the Colts should've placed in the top-12. And they all had moments that brought me back to previous shows of theirs. I swear, Madison had a lick from "Maleguena" in the middle of the show. The Colts just bringing me to tears in "Till There Was You" and almost immortalizing that ballad. The Cavies' sound I could place just about anywhere.

DII/III had their shining stars this year, too. OC, Blue Stars had some amazing hornlines. DIII's fight for Grand Finals was a treat with the top 5 all within striking distance. Throw Taipei in for their hornline.

Me, personally, I enjoyed 2005.

SCV, Phantom, Cavies, Scouts yes. BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, Boston no.

Div. II/III yes.