PR Guard Injury

I have not seen this posted, so forgive me if this is old news.

On Season Pass after finals they put up an interview with the Phantom Regiment male guard member concerning an injury received during Championship week. It was a little unclear if this happened on the morning of Quaterfinals or Semis, but that morning, when he was standing on the bus he fell as it moved before he was set. In reaching out to catch himself he cut his hand on the rack rather badly. He spent most of the rest of the day in the hospital receiving 19 stitches in his left (I think) hand. Appeared to be the forward joints of two middle fingers based on the bandages he showed. He did not rejoin the corps until warmups at the stadium. He performed the rest of the shows with this injury. Had to change some actions, let some guard members do a dual motion as a solo, but he did it. Kudos to the gentleman. I am impressed. I saw nothing in the reviews that even hinted at a reduction in his performance. What a pro!

:blink::worthy::worthy:

I had wondered why the staff greatly reduced the excitement and content of John's performance during quarter finals, only to find out later in the evening he had 20 stitches in his hand and had spent a long time in the emergency room that day.

He did a great job all 3 nights and added more to his perforemance at semifinals and still more at finals. I spoke to him at the corps busses after finals. While I thought he did an exceptional job, he was very dissappointed he had to perform a watered down routine for the audience because of the injury.

John is a real trooper and at other times he was quite sick this season, he never missed a minute of rehearsal! By the way, he's one of the nicest kids you'd ever want to meet. :worthy:

Robert

Edited by PRPHAN

John is a real trooper and at other times he was quite sick this season, he never missed a minute of rehearsal!  By the way, he's one of the nicest kids you'd ever want to meet. :worthy:

Robert

I was impressed from the first time I saw Phantom this year. His performances added significant value to the realization of Phantom's show concept and design! His work was an important focal point in the show, but not a distraction from the many other delightful elements of a wonderful total package that was the 2005 Phantom Regiment!

Kudos for being a consumate pro and finding a way to reach past the limitations imposed by his injury to continue to perform and contribute at a superior level!

Thank you to John and the entire Phanton Regiment from a fan! ^OO^ :worthy: ^OO^

Wow, what a trouper! We can complain about the instrumentation and other things that have changed and say that drum corps has died. But one thing that hasn't died is this kind of attitude. I hope he has a full recovery, and that in time, he'll be able to accept that he did his absolute best under less-than-ideal circumstances!

This isn't the first time this young man has fought through an injury and performed like a trooper.

Earlier this year at a WGI regional (he marched with Northeast Independent, a WGI Finalist) he dislocated his shoulder in the middle of a show.... he quietly slipped to the back of the floor and sat down so as not to distract from the show. He waited to completely leave the floor until the show was over.

He ended up putting his own shoulder back into joint and performing later that evening at the Regional finals with a shoulder and arm that were blue, black and green from the injury he had received earlier in the day.

My wife had gotten to know him from the winter season as one of our former students was marching with him at NEI. She had told me about what a neat kid he was and about his willingness to fight through injury at that WGI Regional. As we watched the telecast Thursday night and his interview after the show, she told me "Something's wrong with him, not sure what, but he doesn't look good". On Friday, when we arrived in Boston, we found out about his injury.

I had the pleasure to meet him after the show Saturday night and he's just as nice a kid as everyone has already said. Certainly, this young man has a bright future ahead of him..... he doesn't allow obstacles to stand in his way, he finds a way around them, over them, or through them, but he is GOING to make sure he has the opportunity to perform. A consumate professional if there ever was one.

Congratulations to John and the entire Phantom Regiment on what was most obviously a "fans favorite" show this summer.

Later, AA

This isn't the first time this young man has fought through an injury and performed like a trooper. 

Earlier this year at a WGI regional (he marched with Northeast Independent, a WGI Finalist) he dislocated his shoulder in the middle of a show.... he quietly slipped to the back of the floor and sat down so as not to distract from the show.  He waited to completely leave the floor until the show was over. 

He ended up putting his own shoulder back into joint and performing later that evening at the Regional finals with a shoulder and arm that were blue, black and green from the injury he had received earlier in the day.

My wife had gotten to know him from the winter season as one of our former students was marching with him at NEI.  She had told me about what a neat kid he was and about his willingness to fight through injury at that WGI Regional.  As we watched the telecast Thursday night and his interview after the show, she told me "Something's wrong with him, not sure what, but he doesn't look good".  On Friday, when we arrived in Boston, we found out about his injury.

I had the pleasure to meet him after the show Saturday night and he's just as nice a kid as everyone has already said.  Certainly, this young man has a bright future ahead of him..... he doesn't allow obstacles to stand in his way, he finds a way around them, over them, or through them, but he is GOING to make sure he has the opportunity to perform.  A consumate professional if there ever was one.

Congratulations to John and the entire Phantom Regiment on what was most obviously a "fans favorite" show this summer.

Later, AA

he also dislocated the same shoulder (i believe) during the performance in san jose. a lot of people (including garry and i) were wondering what happened to him. adam sage explained it to us after the performance. he was alright, just didn't want to distract, as alan stated. truly a "professional" performer. the entire guard did a wonderful job this year with the program they were given. what a great show!

Ü

jan

he also dislocated the same shoulder (i believe) during the performance in san jose.  a lot of people (including garry and i) were wondering what happened to him.  adam sage explained it to us after the performance.  he was alright, just didn't want to distract, as alan stated.  truly a "professional" performer.  the entire guard did a wonderful job this year with the program they were given.  what a great show!

Ü

jan

btw, we'll be seeing him for the next few years. i believe he's only 18!

Ü

jan

18? I really doubt that. But, I have to say that I really don't know his age.

At his first camp in April this year, he told me he had marched 2 years with Carolina Crown and then took a year off. He then marched a year at SCV under Adam Sage and for the last year and a half he had been doing a Disney Show in Japan.

He would have to have been very, very young to start marching at Carolina for him to be only 18 now.

Robert