• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little clarification is in order. As Michael Cesario has pointed out to me, a prop is something you can hold (Phantom's umbrellas, for example), while the large stuff on the field that can't (typically) be held are sets (Colts' postcards).

A little clarification is in order. As Michael Cesario has pointed out to me, a prop is something you can hold (Phantom's umbrellas, for example), while the large stuff on the field that can't (typically) be held are sets (Colts' postcards).

hmmm... was Phantoms umbrellas props or equipment then?

the umbrellas are considered props. the line bwetwen properties and costume pieces is determined by whether it is used or not. if a character has lets say... a sword it is considered a costume piece if it remains on the persons body but is never drawn. if it is, at any point in time, used it is considered a prop.

Heh. In professional production, the line isn't that clearly drawn. It comes down to which designer can make the most forceful argument that the item can't be assigned to his or her budget that's the determining factor. I know it sounds specious, but sometimes, that IS the determining factor.

I try to keep an open mind, but can tell you that sometimes, an item that is on-stage but decorative in nature (rather than practical) is assigned to the 'props' budget rather than a 'settings' budget. Cavaliers ladders? I'd call that 'set' since the guys climbed 'em, moved 'em, and used them to define the playing space. Cadets outhouse? I'd call that 'props" (since it was clearly for 'effect' rather than serving any practical purpose - aside from giving the girls a place to strip off and change costume).

Edited by mobrien

The Cadets' outhouse? lmao...

How many shows did the Cavaliers climb something?

Blue Stars guard used umbrellas and Vanguard used a Maypole in the late 70's. Bridgemen also used a bunch of "props" or whatever Cesario says we should call them. (as if it's the theatre... har. It's a freakin football field people!! I call them speedbumps!)

I hate field sets, or props, or whatever it is you call them. I hate them to DEATH!!

And when you become the person who is not only in charge of making sure they are built, but also in charge of keeping them maintained while on tour, then you'll understand my hate for them...

but yeah, there are time where they are very affective, and there are times when they aren't.

I hate field sets, or props, or whatever it is you call them.  I hate them to DEATH!! 

And when you become the person who is not only in charge of making sure they are built, but also in charge of keeping them maintained while on tour, then you'll understand my hate for them...

but yeah, there are time where they are very affective, and there are times when they aren't.

I hear you man...

The Colts' postcards were in sporadically the last few weeks of the season...mainly because putting them vertical (on the wheels on the back of the frame) was not really safe. So we took them out of any show we didn't have a wide enough gate to go through. Which is why they weren't in at Nightbeat.

And don't be sorry that we didn't have them in at Semis...the vis staff was thrilled not to have to deal with them for the last show of the season.