Division 2/3 finals review

Maybe I’m just over looking this but where IS the love for this group of young marchers? I couldn’t find a review and since I took notes and am just now finding them from unpacking.lol…here is my review of the division 2/3 finals in Brockton Mass.

I couldn’t believe how hot it was. I was so excited about getting away from this heat in FLA/USA and hoping it was gonna be 80 like the weather was predicted before I got up there, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Oh well as far as I’m concerned the kids in all these corps were as hot as the weather! Smoking!

I would like to congratulate these kids on putting on some great shows and also for entertaining my husband and I. Also you amazed us as well. I would venture to say that these corps that put on original shows, some of the division 1 corps could take lessons from y’all on how to present it.

Anyway here we go…I’m going in the order of performance.

Division 3 Corps In order of perfomance

LAKE ERIE REGIMENT-This corps surprised me, when I first saw them come on the field I counted 10 horns and 4 snares, I was curious how you could work that out. But they did. This drum line was great and so was the color guard. These kids have a lot of heart and they were losing steam at the end of the show (I attribute to the heat) but they pushed through. I’m sure that writing a drill for 10 horns is a challenge but they pulled it off and that is why they made finals. Congratulations, you should be proud.

DUTCH BOY-I was looking forward to seeing this corps. I haven’t seen them in a VERY long time. They had a very memorable show playing “Get ready”, “I’ll be there” and a mix of R & B songs that they pulled off. They also had drum speak without the mics, the whole corps joined in on the drum speak which was effective and wasn’t annoying to me since it wasn’t miced. They ended with a nice arrangement of “Greensleeves” this mellophone/contra duet had a very nice sound. I love how the corps come around, in front of the crowd and salute the crowd like we used to do. Thank you for an entertaining show.

PRIDE OF THE LIONS- I don’t remember all that was played by this corps, and I didn’t hear the announcement. However, they executed their drill, and had a nice color guard. The horn line had some intonation problems. However I remember they were over all very interesting. Plus at the end when they Played “Danny Boy”…well let’s just say, I knew that song! Thanks for doing that Pride.

ALLIEGIENCE ELITE-“Pandora’s box”- “Think inside the box” there were some minor intonation and phasing problems. But this show starts off with a Big Box (prop) with a drummer in a box that was intriguing. I was wondering why the color guard sat down through a lot of the show? But they pulled the idea of this show off, thus the reason why they had a good placement.

CAPITAL SOUND-Starts off with a big drum sound- I was disappointed that this corps decided to use amps. I was wondering what they were for, because they weren’t necessary really. They had some rifles that were showing what they could do. Their ballad was very nice. They had a cool jazzy sound. Nice drill. The silks the color guard used were very pretty. Loved the concert and they had a nice push in the closer.

REVOLUTION-I heard a lot of nice things about this corps and they were all true! They came out with a flag that had “contemplation"; then “trepidation”…the drill was very interesting and I enjoyed this original show. I also enjoyed seeing high mark time and during the “confrontation” part the horn line had this nice low brass sound. The mellophones were nice as well. Nice color guard work over all…they had a flag with “hope” and ended the show resolving all their issues with “resolution”. Interesting concept.

YAMATO-Metropolis” This corps had a great balanced sound. The color guard comes out with brief cases…this color guard was excellent, very together, this was a great show, could’ve been division 2. I enjoyed seeing these “International” corps. The corps that put the “International” in DCI.

RAIDERS-[/b]"The corps without a drum major” I was blown away totally by this corps. They had no drum major! First off that blew me away. Do you know how much concentration that takes to totally depend on each other? They just showed that it could be done. I don’t know the reason why they didn’t have a drum major, but I heard various stories. Nonetheless, they pulled it off. The horn line wowed me with their big beautiful balanced sound. Their color guard was very just smoking. Kudos to this corps, I was hoping they would win, and they did! I was into everything about this show.

TAIPEI-And last but not least for division 3 was a cool corps from Taiwan. Cool red hand fans! The color guard used, they seemed to be a little “flat” but the color guard blew me away. They had a nice horn sound and the drill was way cool. I enjoyed it when the color guard made the fans into a “snake” effect. This was my favorite color guard of the division 3 corps.

I enjoyed seeing the all the International Corps! This kids show you they are giving it their all and they should be proud of their accomplishments. I know I say “balanced sound” a lot but hey, it was the truth.

Division 2 Corps –In order of performance

Memphis Sound- Nice Latin Sound, nice use of colors. However the color guard wasn’t as clean as the rest of corps. The drill, I enjoyed, but I believe what held this corps back was the actual musical arrangement of the Phil Collins music. There was talent there but it wasn’t being utilized with this style of music. At least, not as much as I would like to hear. I’m sure experimenting with this Latin jazz was fun and it sounded great, the horn line sounded great (shout out to the mellophones). And the drum line…man…but what I mean by the arrangement holding them back is, let the talent come through more. I can hear this corps doing Blues again more then doing jazz. This is just MHO, of course I want to hear them going back to their roots, of Blues. I am not trying to offend anyone cause I got into what the show was about but, I don’t know why some would say a corps from Memphis playing Blues, “it’s expected’. So what? It’s expected that Blue Devils do jazz but what does that mean anyway? Blues…even jazz blues, but Latin jazz? I’m not trying to be hard on y’all cause you know I love you…but I hope you get where I’m coming from. I did enjoy the show, and I hope you understand where I’m coming from.

Jersey Surf-This corps was my first chill bumps corps of the day. A nice NICE version of “Send in the Clowns”, I enjoyed the Bridgemen salute and VK salute. The 1812 Overture arrangement was awesome. I just loved this show and it was definitely a crowd- pleasing show. Nice job Jersey Surf.

Oregon Crusaders-WOW, they turn around and really punch you with their nice loud sound. I loved this color guard and that drill was executed proper! They can march their arses off too! Color guard just blew me away and I loved the silks. This was another original show that I enjoyed. I was proud of this corps.

Impulse-The idea of this show was interesting. AKA- the “Velvet Knights movement”. I am glad to see this corps bringing some “fun” into the show. I love those uniforms with the exclamation point. I can’t wait to see what they have for us next year. Keep going in this direction that you’re going! This was a talented corps all the way around.

Teal Sound-I saw this corps perform at DCI Orlando in June and knew this corps was on to something. I am glad they stuck with their division 2 status. I love this corps uniforms, and the color guard…even though they lost some members and looked smaller then most, wow…they were great. As I’ve said before, I’m not a big fan of original shows, but this years “Firestorm” was perfect for this corps and I like the direction this corps is going. I loved the colors…I know I keep saying that, but I’m really impressed with these division 2/3 corps color guards the way they use colors. I mean that. Congratulations on your move up..keep going.

Fever-“Anxiety”-this show gave me a lot of Anxiety so I guess they executed the idea of it..uh? Very talented horn line, I hope they can come up with a better idea for a show next year, I didn’t get into this one as much as some of the others. Still, they are very talented, obviously.

Blue Stars-Oh My Goodness. They blew us away and it was nice to see so many corps that can march. I can tell they spent time on basics. My husband and I saw them come onto the field and we thought they could’ve easily been division 1 corps; they had the size that’s for sure. Then when they begin to play, we kept saying, “they could easily beat some of the bottom division 1 corps”. I gave my shout out to them. “Nice to see you Blue Stars” (that was me). I haven’t sent y’all in a while and it was nice to see one of the founding corps of DCI slowly making its way back up the echelon. Keep on keepin’ on Blue Stars. Loved you!

Spartans-We were surrounded by the official “Spartans” fan club so we had to help with the “shout outs”. The family behind me, had a member in the Color Guard, it was a fun group. They were obviously proud, with every right to be. This was by far the tightest color guard. And that is why they got high guard. They deserved it. I could tell that Cadets alumnus taught this corps, the way they marched and portrayed themselves. Nothing is wrong with that, it was just something I noticed between Spartans and East Coast Jazz.

East Coast Jazz-the drum line-wow! I could tell Charlie Poole was teaching there, that’s for sure. Just as the Spartans were obvious in their portrayal of having Cadets alumnus teaching them, the East Coast Jazz were obvious that they had 27th Lancers alumnus teaching them. Oh this horn line could play. It was fun to watch. Oh the talent. Spartans and ECJ, Blue Stars, could easily be Division 1. I hope they can get the membership up (ECJ and Spartans). It would be fun to see how they match up against the division 1 corps. Thank you for entertaining me!

It is my hope for division 2/3 corps that DCI will find a way to make it where more people will want to go see these corps. I’m glad they are having the show where division 1 will be next year (so I hear), but I hope they will work it out where people won’t have to pick between Quarterfinals and finals. Because these kids are so talented and they deserve the love and respect the division 1 corps get. That is my hope.

Also…just a personal opinion, you don’t need amps in division 2/3 corps, it’s just not necessary. I only saw maybe a couple corps with them, but they weren’t set up right and it didn’t add anything to the show anyway.

Over all my husband and I were blown away by the quality of all these corps. While it is obvious that some didn’t do a full tour but I say congratulations to all of them who made it. Looking forward to seeing more shows next year.

Edited by Lancerlady

Wow Stephanie. Thanks for a great review. Since the Blue Stars are sort of a close by home town corps, we see them in Menomonie every year. Great corps. There are a group of young people from here in Cap Sound, including the identical triplet Soules sisters (DM, baritone and tuba).

We saw a DII/III show in July in Chippewa Falls that just knocked my socks off. Great stuff these youngsters are doing. Taipei's guard was gorgeous!

Thanks!

Marilyn

Maybe I’m just over looking this but where IS the love for this group of young marchers? I couldn’t find a review and since I took notes and am just now finding them from unpacking.lol…here is my review of the division 2/3 finals in Brockton Mass.

<snip>

Over all my husband and I were blown away by the quality of all these corps. While it is obvious that some didn’t do a full tour but I say congratulations to all of them who made it. Looking forward to seeing more shows next year.

Great review, Steph! Thanks for "taking us to the show"! ^OO^

Great review Lancerlady! I wish I could have been there and seen the excitement and the results of all the hard work of all the corps!

Wow! A nice POSITIVE review. Thanks, Steph.

trying to post pictures...still new to division 2/3 so don't know all the corps uniforms..

Foxboro2005016.jpg

Foxboro2005018.jpg

Edited by Lancerlady

Foxboro2005039.jpg

Memphis Sound

Foxboro2005058.jpg

Oregon Crusaders

CAPITAL SOUND-Starts off with a big drum sound- I was disappointed that this corps decided to use amps. I was wondering what they were for, because they weren’t necessary really.

The amps thing was kinda controversial in the corps itself. Some people felt it was needed, others felt it wasnt. Most of the judges that saw us applauded us for it because it did bring out the pit sound.....(there were only 5 of them in a 57 member corps.

in the end the pit instructor had the call, and I feel he made a good one.

Respectfully

Lee Plummer

OH I understand, I'm not saying it took anything away from the show, I was just wondering why the need? That's all... :) Just a personal preference...:) No biggie.