PR Co-Ed Guard?

I think what TX means is that when Bluecoats went to a co-ed guard, their guard improved soooo much.  In my opinion, it also improved the corps as a whole.  I think the same could happen with Phantom if they were to ever go co-ed.  They would improve...maybe even to a level of guard or DCI champion.  I don't think he is doing a side to side comparison of Bluecoats and PR...

SMM

That was exactly my point. Going coed improved Bluecoats guard tremendously. I am sure other factors contributed as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't saying he was doing a side-to-side comparison with PR, neither was I. What I'm saying is that the all-female PR beat the co-ed Bluecoats this summer. So WHY would having males improve them? Just give me a few examples. I just don't believe they really need to go co-ed considering how well they did this season.

I think what TX means is that when Bluecoats went to a co-ed guard, their guard improved soooo much.  In my opinion, it also improved the corps as a whole.  I think the same could happen with Phantom if they were to ever go co-ed.  They would improve...maybe even to a level of guard or DCI champion.  I don't think he is doing a side to side comparison of Bluecoats and PR...

SMM

Examples?

Its simple. Coats have had their best guards since going co-ed. Going co-ed has to have something to do with how much better they are now.

Who cares how PR has ranked with Coats. That is not the point.

Fun fact -- the Bluecoats color guard used to be co-ed (watch the vids from '87 - '89, for instance) then they went all-female for several years before going co-ed again.

* I might be mistaken on the years. Memory's the first to go.

Fun fact -- the Bluecoats color guard used to be co-ed (watch the vids from '87 - '89, for instance) then they went all-female for several years before going co-ed again.

* I might be mistaken on the years.  Memory's the first to go.

They were co-ed in 86 also. And, all this talk about PR going co-ed will improve their guard ie: Bluecoats did and now look at them...umm Bluecoats never won high guard, never made top five in guard...Phantom Regiment has won guard (88) with all females, and has placed among the top four with, get this..all females......really not a realistic train of thought.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

I think it would be interesting to look back into time and see when the last all-female guard won a guard trophy.  I don't have enough time on my hands to research it...but it would be interesting to know. 

SMM

1990 Blue Devils, the last year an all female guard took top honors.

The last corps to win high guard other than Cadets, Cavies, and Blue Devils ??

1988 Phantom Regiment - all female. Rome & Juliet. High guard - without - a Romeo.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

1990 Blue Devils, the last year an all female guard took top honors.

The last corps to win high guard other than Cadets, Cavies, and Blue Devils ??

1988 Phantom Regiment - all female. Rome & Juliet. High guard - without - a Romeo.

~G~

GMichael1230 - Two great posts! Well said, my friend!!!

How is it not the point? :) If they can beat a co-ed group being all-female, why do they need to be co-ed at all?

Phantom has also had their best guard in 10+ years thanks to Adam Sage and a great talent pool.

I think what people are thinking here, and are not saying, is that they think males are more proficient and look stronger on equipment (especially on rifle). Giving the girls the sabres and the boys the guns has been the formula for lots of co-ed guards for sometime. I think PR's rifle line was money this year, personally...and all female. Have you ever seen the ladies from Cadets spin rifle? Yes, yes they can! :rolleyes:

Examples?

Its simple.  Coats have had their best guards since going co-ed.  Going co-ed has to have something to do with how much better they are now. 

Who cares how PR has ranked with Coats.  That is not the point.

I think what people are thinking here, and are not saying, is that they think males are more proficient and look stronger on equipment (especially on rifle). Giving the girls the sabres and the boys the guns has been the formula for lots of co-ed guards for sometime. I think PR's rifle line was money this year, personally...and all female. Have you ever seen the ladies from Cadets spin rifle? Yes, yes they can!  :rolleyes:

One only has to look at 1994 Phantom Regiment to see how proficient they can be at rifles, not counting this year, and keeping the subject matter only them.

Phantom Regiment, historicaly, has never been a slouch in the rifle handling department, even handling two at once in 1983 (Right Jan !!)

No male rifle line can match the strength, precision, or clarity that the 27th Lancers possesed in rifle proficiency. Boston Crusaders either..all girls, all capable, all at the vanguard of their craft.

~G~

Oh, and you do not need to be co-ed to win a guard trophy these days, the 2002 title went to a guard with only one gender :rock: