PR Co-Ed Guard?

I would tend to think that as more guards go co-ed - Phantom must be seeing a rise in the quality of women that audition for them.

There are less and less spots available for girls on guard - especially if you're a weapon - so Phantom would be the best bet for the most talented ones to go to.

If there are concerns about an all female guard winning - it should be addressed at the DCI meetings by Phantom, as it would seem to be a clear bias by judges to favor co-ed guards (or all male guards) without a logical foundation for doing so.

I have to say though, having taught both all female and co-ed guards - I prefer co-ed just for the mix in personalities - 30 girls together on tour for 2 months makes for some ***interesting*** practices.

With all that said, I think that the people in charge at Phantom will make a decision that will be best for the corps as a whole.

later,

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not add guys to PR's guard. I live in the Bay Area and remember the days when BD, and SVC had all female guards. I had a wonderful time marching with the Freelancers, but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity to march with a corps a little closer to home. Sac was a 3 1/2 hour round trip, and that drive was a pain when we had wednesday night rehearsal from 6-9.

I never thought BD would add guys to their guard considering the shows they had in the 80's. Remember the spandex, feathers, wings, glitter. SCV had guys first in 85 I think. I could be a year off, but they had guys in the rifle/sword (they were swords) line, but that was just for the one year.

Maybe Phantom is just going to try it out. They played jazz this year, but I am sure they are not going to abandon classical music. Change can be a good thing, as long as it does not involve woodwinds or narration.